No announcement yet.

2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lillard, Rivers. I like the names, not too big on Waiters right now.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• I'm guessing Moe Harkless is coming in today so here's some quick comments at the combine

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Waiters' promise came from Phoenix?

Dion Waiters bailed on the NBA combine early on the advice of his agent. Word quickly spread that Waiters, projected anywhere from 11 to 25 in some mock drafts, had a promise. No wonder he bailed so quick. That's gold for a prospect like Waiters. He can only rise from there, as his value inherently rises because of the promise. He can't fall, he can only improve. But who was it?

Our own Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com reported after the combine:

13. Phoenix Suns

Dion Waiters, SG, Syracuse: Agent Rob Pelinka pulled Waiters from the Chicago combine -- which means his client likely has a promise from someone in the lottery. The word is it may be the Suns, who could use a tough, scoring guard like Waiters.

via Goodman's 2012 NBA Mock Draft: Post-combine evaluations - CBSSports.com.

That was later also reported by Gary Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times.

For the Suns, it's a pretty natural fit, and if they hold to it, it fills a need long-term. It's a bit of a reach and you'd like to see them go more for a power forward with athleticism, but Waiters does have a solid skill set.

Either way, it looks like Waiters will be going top-13. Adjust your mocks accordingly.
        http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...tball/19358877

I don't see anything conclusive here. Strange that that CBS would present this news as fact (as per the headline).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ey...tball/19358877

I don't see anything conclusive here. Strange that that CBS would present this news as fact (as per the headline).
          hmmm RR broke that story days ago...

Comment

• Newest from Yahoo/Draft Express. Stiiiiil Lamb.

8. Toronto
            Jeremy Lamb SG
            19 years old; 6'5"; 185 lbs., Connecticut, Sophomore

While the Raptors anxiously await the arrival of their 2011 lottery pick, Jonas Valanciunas, next season, they have a chance to plug another hole. Finding a successor to starting point guard Jose Calderon, who is entering the final year of his contract, is a priority, especially considering that Valanciunas will need to have offense created for him, at least initially. The Raptors' wing rotation also looks unsettled, with DeMar DeRozan still unable to find a consistent jump shot, and very little starting material around him. One solution might be to pick Jeremy Lamb, one of the most talented scorers in the draft, and move DeRozan to small forward.

Other options include Dion Waiters, Damian Lillard and Jared Sullinger.
            http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...0883--nba.html
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
              Newest from Yahoo/Draft Express. Stiiiiil Lamb.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/y-sport...0883--nba.html
              It's funny that their entire writeup talks about the need for a new PG and lists Lillard as another option, yet goes with a SG, which is probably one of the two most set starting positions on the Raps roster (Bargnani @ PF, DeRozan @ SG). I'd be shocked if the Raps drafted Lamb, if Lillard was still on the board.

If they are both on the board at 8, knowing that Detroit is allegedly going big (Sullinger, Henson, Zeller), I would seriously try to pull off a trade with New Orleans to get #10 (along with Ariza using the TPE), so that BOTH Lillard and Lamb can be drafted. I'd gladly take on Ariza and giveup both #37 and #56 to get that done.

Comment

• I really like Austin Rivers after the great interview he has given yesterday. I like that he embraces the city and that he knows about what's going on with the roster. If Barnes and Lillard are off the board he should be the guy.

lol even mentions Nash coming to Toronto
                http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...RIVERS-2128624

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I am really not a fan of Rivers. For me its Beal, Barnes, Lillard (if they drop) or bust. I guess Sullinger would be my 4th guy after them (and that makes me cringe). I think Waiters is a reach at 8, and Lamb is too lackadaisical for my liking. I don't think Bryan is interested at all in PJ3 either.. Either the Raps brass are hiding their true feelings for the kid, or they don't care for him. I haven't seen or heard one interview where he was mentioned by either Bryan, Dwane or Ed.

I'd like to trade up for Beal/Barnes/Lillard. Otherwise I'd like to trade down or out.

I like what I've seen with Lillard.. but two concerns I have for him are his age, and that's he's not a pick and roll maestro. I'd like to see our PG of the future be able to handle the PnR with JV. I'm sure he can learn it, but he's already 22.. so it would have been nicer to see that skill polished before he got drafted.

Comment

• Well spoken, seems intelligent, humble. That should spell trainable.

Comment

• Rivers is a very well spoken young man. I would love to have him with the team. Just, you know, not as a player.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        Well spoken, seems intelligent, humble. That should spell trainable.
                        Agreed. And I agree with Casey's take on the prospects they've worked out so far being very good character kids with good fundamentals and bbIQ. Barnes, Rivers, Lillard and Marshall all spoke very well and came across as great people and potential teammates.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                          It's funny that their entire writeup talks about the need for a new PG and lists Lillard as another option, yet goes with a SG, which is probably one of the two most set starting positions on the Raps roster (Bargnani @ PF, DeRozan @ SG). I'd be shocked if the Raps drafted Lamb, if Lillard was still on the board.

If they are both on the board at 8, knowing that Detroit is allegedly going big (Sullinger, Henson, Zeller), I would seriously try to pull off a trade with New Orleans to get #10 (along with Ariza using the TPE), so that BOTH Lillard and Lamb can be drafted. I'd gladly take on Ariza and giveup both #37 and #56 to get that done.
                          I wouldn't mind that plan either, but we're reminded of Casey/Colangelo talking about "too much youth". With Jonas, Lillard and Lamb all needing developmental minutes next season, it doesn't bode well for the playoffs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I don't think Bryan is interested at all in PJ3 either.. Either the Raps brass are hiding their true feelings for the kid, or they don't care for him. I haven't seen or heard one interview where he was mentioned by either Bryan, Dwane or Ed.
                            We didn't hear anyone associated with the Raptors talk about Jonas leading up to last year's draft either. Just saying

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              I wouldn't mind that plan either, but we're reminded of Casey/Colangelo talking about "too much youth". With Jonas, Lillard and Lamb all needing developmental minutes next season, it doesn't bode well for the playoffs.
                              I thought that, but then the line in Casey's interview about the #8 pick being a rotation player instead of an immediate impact player, made me realize that the combination of slotting the pick into a backup role and still signing/trading for a veteran starter, would satisfy everything they've said about hitting the ground running, adding veteran presence, adding an athletic/scoring/shot creating wing all while still using the pick. If they were talking about the #8 pick as coming in and starting and being a main player, then I think it would fly in the face of their "too much youth" mantra.

I will give BC/ES/DC credit... they are like lawyers with how careful they say things, so that no matter what happens, they will be able to point out that they didn't lie, even if they didn't tell the truth! haha

Comment

• I'm confused. Was "hit the ground running" another classic BC smoke screen?

Comment

Working...
                                X