2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Kentucky Kid/Freakshow

Harrison Barnes may be the most complete player in the country. Jared Sullinger may be the most polished player in the country. Terrence Jones is a miniature beast. But the top of the draft? It's still kids, it's still freshmen, it's still Calipari, it's still Kentucky.

Anthony Davis has already endeared himself to rebuilding teams' fans all across the non-existent league. With a 7-4 wingspan he grew into after years of playing guard, Davis is able to move seamlessly from one end of the floor. He's active on defense and that wingspan allows him to block nearly anything. His offensive repertoire still raw as he learns to grow into his body, but off the pick and roll, he's been tremendous. Davis is the kind of raw, athletic talent that scouts and GMs drool over, and he's got the ability to back it up.

Davis is considered the No.1 draft pick right now in the eyes of NBA personnel, according to Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com

It's one thing to have the wingspan and athleticism that Davis has, but he's shown an early willingness to commit on the defensive end that few prospects do. The words "JaVale McGee" have been used, and not in the usual negative way, either. He's been a swat machine, with a 17.11 block percentage, which is ridiculous.

He's the consensus No. 1 right now. He'll need to work on his offensive repertoire to cement his position, but as it stands, Davis looks like a superb No. 1 overall.

Source for both: CBSSports.com

More unanswered questions than usual

With a draft as exciting as this one, the questions that abound have more impact than the usual amount of unknown quantities in any pool of prospects.

Is Andre Drummond too raw to be a lottery pick this year?

Is LeBryan Nash a headcase?

How much of Thomas Robinson's aggression and explosiveness will translate when he's been listed as small as 6-8? (NOTE: A Nike camp measurement from this past summer listed him at 6-10 with a healthy wingspan of 7-1.)

What position is Terrence Jones going to play in the NBA and more importantly, did Josh Smith clone his brain and insert it into him?

Is Michael Kidd-Gilchrist actually the best prospect on Kentucky?

Will Austin Rivers be ready to make the leap when he has such a steep hill to climb in terms of point guard skill?

We'll be tracking these questions and many more throughout the college basketball season as part of our draft coverage. There's no NBA at the moment. But the next generation of players is ready to put on quite a show.

Comment

• There will be no debate about No. 1.

No, I'm not talking about whether it's North Carolina or Kentucky for the top overall spot in the poll.

I'm talking about the discussion of who will be the top overall pick in the NBA Draft - as long as there is such a thing as the NBA Draft this June.

After speaking to a handful of NBA executives since Tuesday night, there's only one name that surfaces right now - and that's Kentucky freshman Anthony Davis.

True, he's only played a few games thus far - but it doesn't take a genius to see the potential.

He's a game-changer - on both ends of the floor.

He's got the length that NBA types drool over.

He plays hard - and has a feel for the game.

He's versatile.

The lone drawback with the 6-foot-10 Davis is that he's not ready to come in - from a physical standpoint - to the NBA.

However, it's all about potential - and his ceiling is higher than any of the other candidates (i.e. Harrison Barnes, Jeremy Lamb, Jared Sullinger).

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...83066/33375355

Comment

• Quincy Miller

Check the move at 0:12.

Comment

• I'm on the quincy miller band wagon

Comment

• I am watching some of the UCONN-North Carolina Asheville game..... Lamb is looking very good. Finding open teammates, long range, mid range, rebounding.

Oh and the underdogs will not quit! Good game.

I've only seen the second half but Drummond does not look good. That mask must be a beeotch.

Comment

• I am admittedly not a big watcher just yet of the freshmen being discussed. In the case of Davis at Kentucky, what is the opinion of the board in terms of comparing his skills and potential to Jonas V. They seem to have similar skills/position play other than that AD possibly having better passing/ballhandling skills because of his backcourt position playing sans his growth spurt. Thks.

Comment

• He's alot leaner than JV is now. JV used to be about the same in terms of lankiness.

But Valanciunas is basically legit 7' (or plays like it.) And his passing abillities are hugely underrated in my opinion. He's got bigger shoulders than Davis, so I presume he'll play around 255lbs, where as Davis will be lucky if he EVER reaches 240lbs. haha
                JV a much better rebounder now, as he's learned how to use his size to get good position. He's probably about just as good a shot blocker as Davis as well. (From what I've watched. Correct me if I'm wrong please anyone.)

Anthony Davis is VERY lanky (and ugly) but his energy is ridiculous and its contagious. You can see it.
                But its different energy than JV. JV is VERY passionate, and very emotional on the court. (Again, from what I've watched. Correct me if I'm wrong please.) Davis is almost manic. But controlled. But not. Cuz he fouls alot.

I'd be fine with a pairing of JV and AD. Not sure their games are similar enough to negate consideration. Davis is a Power Forward at biggest. Saying Davis is an NBA Center, would be like saying Bosh is an NBA Center. (which is who I see him playing like, just perhaps a better shot blocker. To his credit, Bosh did block 2.2 shots a game.)
                Last edited by Joey; Thu Nov 24, 2011, 10:50 PM.

Comment

• While I'm obviously a big fan of Valanciunas, I don't know if he has as high a ceiling as Davis. He doesn't possess the athleticism, passing ability or ball handling ability that Davis does and while Valanciunas is a good shotblocker, I don't see him being the shotblocker Davis is. And I don't see how Valanciunas is a better rebounder than Davis. I think they're pretty much even. As for Valanciunas' passing ability, I agree it's underrated, but it's not on the same level as Davis, from what I've seen.

I do agree that Davis, at this point, isn't a center simply because he's too skinny, but is he any skinnier than Marcus Camby was at the same age?

Personally, pairing them together would be a wet dream, for me.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                    And I don't see how Valanciunas is a better rebounder than Davis. I think they're pretty much even.
                    Not at all meant as a slight against Davis, but JV is VERY tenatious when it comes to getting his rebounds, and he's gets upset when he doesn't get them. I don't really see that in Davis, yet. Or at least to same extent as I've seen in JV.
                    Mind you, I've watched far more of JV than I have of Davis.

In 9 games against Amateurs is his own age group (closest thing to NCAA you can find), JV pulled down 14 rebounds a game. (15 against the Americans)
                    Thats dominant.

Davis is just pretty good at this point, pulling down only 7.4 per game, against so-so competition.
                    Last edited by Joey; Thu Nov 24, 2011, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Not at all meant as a slight against Davis, but JV is VERY tenatious when it comes to getting his rebounds, and he's gets upset when he doesn't get them. I don't really see that in Davis, yet. Or at least to same extent as I've seen in JV.
                      Mind you, I've watched far more of JV than I have of Davis.

In 9 games against Amateurs is his own age group (closest thing to NCAA you can find), JV pulled down 14 rebounds a game.
                      Thats dominant.

Davis is just pretty good at this point, pulling down only 7.4 per game, against so-so competition.
                      You're not taking into consideration a few things. First is that Davis is only playing 24 mpg, at this point, and is playing on a team with two other above average rebounders. Also, it's REALLY hard to compare stats in different conferences, let alone different leagues in different countries. Davis did average 22 rpg in high school, so I think it's safe to say he's pretty tenacious, himself.

Keep in mind, also, that while Valanciunas is playing well in the league he's in now, he's putting up similar stats to Davis at Kentucky, as far as I can tell.
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                        While I'm obviously a big fan of Valanciunas, I don't know if he has as high a ceiling as Davis. He doesn't possess the athleticism, passing ability or ball handling ability that Davis does and while Valanciunas is a good shotblocker, I don't see him being the shotblocker Davis is. And I don't see how Valanciunas is a better rebounder than Davis. I think they're pretty much even. As for Valanciunas' passing ability, I agree it's underrated, but it's not on the same level as Davis, from what I've seen.

I do agree that Davis, at this point, isn't a center simply because he's too skinny, but is he any skinnier than Marcus Camby was at the same age?

Personally, pairing them together would be a wet dream, for me.
                        Ditto.

Comment

• Lamb's nickname is the "Lamb Rover", lol

Comment

• Read from bottom up.

LarryCoon ...able-bodied players to play. OTOH, for every young kid they let in, a vet somewhere loses his job. @mccannsportslaw

LarryCoon ...always seen age limit as something players are ambivalent about. On one hand, they want to preserve right for @mccannsportslaw

LarryCoon I've RT @mccannsportslaw: I think the age limit is a B-list issue that will spark debate, but I see players going along w/ 20 years old + 2

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Make it start in 2013 at least!

Comment

• DraftExpress.com has bumped Myck Kabongo, James McAdoo, Brad Beal, and Adonis Thomas (all freshmen) to the 2013 Mock Draft.

Comment

• What does DraftExpress 2012 mock draft look like without freshmen?

First Round

3 Harrison Barnes SF
                                19 years old; 6'8"; 210 lbs.
                                North Carolina, Sophomore

4 Jared Sullinger PF
                                19 years old; 6'8"; 250 lbs.
                                Ohio State, Sophomore

5 Perry Jones PF
                                20 years old; 6'11"; 220 lbs.
                                Baylor, Sophomore

6 Thomas Robinson PF
                                20 years old; 6'8"; 220 lbs.
                                Kansas, Junior

7 John Henson PF
                                20 years old; 6'10"; 200 lbs.
                                North Carolina, Junior

9 Terrence Jones SF/PF
                                19 years old; 6'8"; 244 lbs.
                                Kentucky, Sophomore

11 Tyler Zeller PF/C
                                21 years old; 6'11"; 220 lbs.
                                North Carolina, Junior

12 Jeremy Lamb SG
                                19 years old; 6'5"; 185 lbs.
                                Connecticut, Sophomore

13 Patric Young C
                                19 years old; 6'9"; 220 lbs.
                                Florida, Sophomore

15 Mason Plumlee PF
                                21 years old; 6'11"; 210 lbs.
                                Duke, Junior

16 Festus Ezeli C
                                22 years old; 6'11"; 255 lbs.
                                Vanderbilt, Senior

18 Terrence Ross SF
                                20 years old; 6'6"; 180 lbs.
                                Washington, Sophomore

20 Jeff Taylor SF
                                22 years old; 6'6"; 200 lbs.
                                Vanderbilt, Senior

21 Kendall Marshall PG
                                20 years old; 6'3"; 170 lbs.
                                North Carolina, Sophomore

22 Evan Fournier SG/SF
                                19 years old; 6'6"; 200 lbs.
                                Poiters, International

23 Mouphtaou Yarou PF/C
                                21 years old; 6'9"; 230 lbs.
                                Villanova, Junior

24 Tomas Satoransky SG
                                20 years old; 6'6"; 190 lbs.
                                Sevilla, International

25 C.J. Leslie SF/PF
                                20 years old; 6'8"; 205 lbs.
                                N.C. State, Sophomore

26 Khris Middleton SF
                                20 years old; 6'7"; 215 lbs.
                                Texas A&M, Junior

27 Darius Johnson-Odom SG
                                22 years old; 6'2"; 215 lbs.
                                Marquette, Senior

28 John Jenkins SG
                                20 years old; 6'4"; 215 lbs.
                                Vanderbilt, Junior

29 Leon Radosevic PF/C
                                21 years old; 6'10"; 210 lbs.
                                Milano, International

30 Furkan Aldemir PF
                                20 years old; 6'9"; 220 lbs.
                                Galatasaray, International

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz1eksSQKHt
                                http://www.draftexpress.com
                                Removed:

Anthony Davis (1), Andre Drummond (2), Quincy Miller (9), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (10), Austin Rivers (14), LeBryan Nash (17), and Marquis Teague (19).

Comment

Working...
                                X