2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I left out PJ3 for both reasons you gave.

I was a HUGE fan of T. Jones last year as he got off to an incredible start as a freshman. However, I've since soured on him. He is too inconsistent and makes too many really, really stupid plays, in my opinion.

Out of the sophomores in this draft class on the wing (Barnes, Lamb, PJ3, Ross, T. Jones) I go with Barnes 100 out of 100 times.

MKG and Miller make things very interesting when you include freshman though.
    With regards to PJ3, I think he is the second most talented SF after Barnes and I think he will be able to play the SF position in the NBA much like T-Mac whom he draws comparisons to. The only thing that was holding me back was he sometimes doesn't seem like his head is in the game. This is a big negative, but you have to consider the Casey impact. If he can get Bargnani to play at a high level consistantly imagine what he could do with a guy like PJ3. Also I was thinking of the make up of the squad:

PG Calderon
    SG DeRozan
    SF MKG or PJ3?
    PF Bargnani
    C Val

I left Barnes out because he figures to go too high in the draft. When you look at that line up with PJ3 under Casey's coaching would bring both scoring and a 6' 10" frame to defend with. Right now MKG imo would be most helpful on the defensive end only. Especially with DeRozan on the floor being so inconsistent on the offensive end I think PJ3's scoring would be a big plus over MKG...in this line up Q. Miller would fit in well too.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      With regards to PJ3, I think he is the second most talented SF after Barnes and I think he will be able to play the SF position in the NBA much like T-Mac whom he draws comparisons to. The only thing that was holding me back was he sometimes doesn't seem like his head is in the game. This is a big negative, but you have to consider the Casey impact. If he can get Bargnani to play at a high level consistantly imagine what he could do with a guy like PJ3. Also I was thinking of the make up of the squad:

PG Calderon
      SG DeRozan
      SF MKG or PJ3?
      PF Bargnani
      C Val

I left Barnes out because he figures to go too high in the draft. When you look at that line up with PJ3 under Casey's coaching would bring both scoring and a 6' 10" frame to defend with. Right now MKG imo would be most helpful on the defensive end only. Especially with DeRozan on the floor being so inconsistent on the offensive end I think PJ3's scoring would be a big plus over MKG...in this line up Q. Miller would fit in well too.
      There is no question PJ3 at the SF is extremely intriguing. I'm not convinced he can play the 3 in the NBA though. Outside of jumpers, lobs, and post ups I have not seen any other offense from him. That is good offense from a PF but not from a SF. Also his lack of blocks and steals given his length and athleticism is worrisome for me.

I would love to have your scenario play out for what it is worth. A front line of PJ3, Bargnani, and JV would be very scary assuming they all played to expectations. Unfortunately, given the importance of this pick, I don't see it being used on such a hit or miss prospect.

With regards to Barnes being picked high, the Raptors are currently tied for 4th worst in the league. It will be interesting to see how the lottery plays out.

Comment

• I'd take Lamb or Beal over PJ3. A good SG has actually become a dying breed in the NBA.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
          I'm really undecided on wings but if I had to take a stab at it there would be a three way tie:

Barnes/MKG/Miller
          Terrence Ross
          Jeremy Lamb
          Wouldn't that be a 5 way tie? Cheating a little. It there Matt eh?

I am certainly for Barnes or QMiller, and I like JLamb and BBeal (Beal from what some on here are saying I don't know his game well.) while MKG is a solid pick I don't think he is the right one for the Raptors as they sit now. The balance of a shooter is needed and while he could develop his shot to come by Miller/Barnes I don't want to wait if the others are options.
          I don't know Ross's game but heard positive things.

Comment

• Maleko wrote: View Post
            Wouldn't that be a 5 way tie? Cheating a little. It there Matt eh?

I am certainly for Barnes or QMiller, and I like JLamb and BBeal (Beal from what some on here are saying I don't know his game well.) while MKG is a solid pick I don't think he is the right one for the Raptors as they sit now. The balance of a shooter is needed and while he could develop his shot to come by Miller/Barnes I don't want to wait if the others are options.
            I don't know Ross's game but heard positive things.
            Sorry, that should have read:

1. Barnes/MKG/Miller
            4. Terrence Ross
            5. Jeremy Lamb

If there was no DeRozan moving forward and a more balanced scoring option was brought in on the wing, MKG could thrive. But I agree, with him and DeRozan together that would make for fairly clogged lanes on offense.

Comment

• You can get shooters through FA, MKG has potential to be 1st team all defense. You willing to pass on that because you want a better shooter?
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                You can get shooters through FA, MKG has potential to be 1st team all defense. You willing to pass on that because you want a better shooter?
                I think Toronto has had enough of specialized players over the years. I'd be looking for a player who won't help in one area while being a detriment in another one - or more.

Keep in mind MKG is up there in that three way tie of my own opinion. I am very high on him.

Comment

• Miller IMO is the only guy who looks like an all around player. Barnes is a shooter, mkg is a great defender and pj3 is a tweener

Comment

• mkg mkg mkg. thats my one two three with barnes a close 4th. if we can grab mkg you try to move demar for a shooter. if you grab barnes we have our shooter. i cant wait for the draft. also siked about the trade deadline looming soon. i hope the crowd boos howard at the allstar game.

Comment

• I would take Bradley Beal at #5 and heres why. Casey proved that he is capable of teaching defense and that might surprisingly be the only positive (other than Bargnani) to this Raptors season. That being said, the offense sucks. Bradley Beal is a scorer and I think he has star potential at the 2. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best perimeter scorer on this Raptors team by his rookie year and its not like he is a bad defender either. Now if we do draft Beal, the question would be is what do would we do with Derozan? He does have length and could potentially play the 3, if he adds muscle to his frame. Or we could have Beal come of the bench in the 6th man role.

I also think we should try to flip Barbosa to a contender who needs a scoring off their bench (Boston? Lakers?) for their first round pick and take a young talented pg (Kabongo? Teague? Marshall?).

Anyways, Beal at #5 is my move. Unless Harrison Barnes is available, then I would take him in a heartbeat.
                      http://twitter.com/#!/TheREALNUBBY follow?

I'm tired of being broke as shit, I'm seeing other n*ggas ball and I'm like 0 for 6

Comment

• belowtheheavens wrote: View Post
                        I would take Bradley Beal at #5 and heres why. Casey proved that he is capable of teaching defense and that might surprisingly be the only positive (other than Bargnani) to this Raptors season. That being said, the offense sucks. Bradley Beal is a scorer and I think he has star potential at the 2. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up the best perimeter scorer on this Raptors team by his rookie year and its not like he is a bad defender either. Now if we do draft Beal, the question would be is what do would we do with Derozan? He does have length and could potentially play the 3, if he adds muscle to his frame. Or we could have Beal come of the bench in the 6th man role.

I also think we should try to flip Barbosa to a contender who needs a scoring off their bench (Boston? Lakers?) for their first round pick and take a young talented pg (Kabongo? Teague? Marshall?).

Anyways, Beal at #5 is my move. Unless Harrison Barnes is available, then I would take him in a heartbeat.
                        Nah we can't afford to draft role players like beal. We need to strike gold in this draft. We need a star 3 no question about it

Comment

• Doesn't matter what position they play. We get the BPA and it will probably be PJ III
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                            Doesn't matter what position they play. We get the BPA and it will probably be PJ III
                            i think that bc is drafting bpa to help right now. he nor casey can afford projects with extensions coming up. i cant see him promising casey to be sent shipping after 1 rebuilding year and another year of promise if ownership decides to change management. the pick will be someone who can fill it right away. he wont take a project. i think he would trade down before that happens to take miller or beal.

Comment

• thats exactly it. MKG or Barnes would be great for the raps. But I don't see us falling into the bottom 4 of the lottery this year unless we get lucky with ping pong balls.

BCs history seems to be take the best available talent at the draft, work around clogged positions later. Beal or Miller seem like one of the best choices for the raps given a bad draft position but I can't help thinking that BC would draft PJ3 if he became available. I think you have to take into consideration that PJ3 would not want to play in Toronto, we dont need someone who wants to skip town from day 1. So realistically if MKG Barnes are off the board, I'd hope for BC to grab Robinson or Sullinger given his bpa strategy and trade one of our bigs for some other talent.
                              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                                mkg mkg mkg. thats my one two three with barnes a close 4th. if we can grab mkg you try to move demar for a shooter. if you grab barnes we have our shooter. i cant wait for the draft. also siked about the trade deadline looming soon. i hope the crowd boos howard at the allstar game.
                                I also like MKG and think that he could turn into a very tough player on both ends. He is 18 and doesn't turn 19 until late September, making him a very young Freshman this year. I think he has the demeanor to find a way to score. I'm thinking about players like Shawn Marion and Scottie Pippen. Right now, I am not a big fan of DeRozan's game. If he isn't able to become an all-around player then it might be better to slot in a good spot-up shooter who can defend at the SG position, and complement that with a tough SF who can dominate defensively and find ways to score through slashing and being active and physical. Part of my calculation is that I think that Bargnani is settling into a reliable go-to scorer (inside and outside) at the PF, and JV will be a reliable score on the PnR and pick and pop (and maybe eventually in the post). With a good point guard, that will be enough offence, and the defence should do the rest.

That said, if Barnes and MKG are both available, I think it will be a tough decision. I like them both. I am intrigued by Q. Miller and his upside, but a bit worried about his previous knee injury (ACL). I have no idea how to assess PJ3. He has great physical tools and some good skills, but he doesn't fill the sheet in ways that one would expect (including relatively low Blocks) for a Soph with his physical attributes. I think that scouts and GMs have their work cut out for them in the rest of the season and in the post-season assessments trying to figure out if he will be a star or a bust.

Comment

Working...
                                X