Official: Jonas joins Raptors in 2012-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Jonas joins Raptors in 2012-13

Raps are free to sign Jonas now with a agreement being reached according to reports

Valanciunas was on a three-year contract with Rytas in Lithuania but with the buyout will now be free to join the Raptors following next season.

Colangelo, as per the Raptors team policy, would not discuss the terms of the buyout but DraftExpress, a website that specializes in the draft and has a strong European presence, reported the buyout was worth $2.4 million US. Under NBA rules each NBA team is allowed to contribute a maximum of $500,000 toward a buyout with the player or his representatives responsible for anything over and above that.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/06/24...-euro-contract

Jonas joins in 2012-13?

A source with knowledge of the negotiations confirms #Raptors reach buyout agreement with Lietuvos for Valanciunas. He joins TO in 12-13.

//twitter.com/#!/ekoreen/status/84380698219266048
    No JV next year - 2 rookies in 2012-13?

Comment

TORONTO — Even if Jonas Valanciunas were to come to Toronto Raptors next October — or whenever NBA training camps begin with a lockout looming — Bryan Colangelo would have had trouble selling him to the masses.

After all, Valanciunas brings to mind international failures of the past: Serbian centre Alex Radojevic, Brazilian centre Rafael Araujo and yes, the unreliability of Italy’s Andrea Bargnani.

However, Valanciunas, the fifth pick from Thursday night’s draft, will not be in Toronto next season. The seven-foot centre has a three-year contract with Lietuvos Rytas of the Lithuanian league. A source confirms the Raptors and Valanciunas have reached a deal with Lietuvos that will have Valanciunas play next season in Lithuania, and then come over to the Raptors for the 2012-13 season.

The deal also means the Raptors will have some relationship with the club next year as far as Valanciunas’s development is concerned.

Financial details of the deal were not immediately clear, but the buyout for the 19-year-old Valanciunas was reportedly worth $2.4 million US. By rule, an NBA team can contribute just $500,000 to a buyout before it counts against the salary cap.

“I would like to come here as soon as possible because it’s my dream,” Valanciunas said as he was introduced to the reporters on Friday. “I am working on the court. It’s my job, on the court. There are agents who are working on the business things. I’ll leave that job for them.”

As for that job on the court, the message seems simple: get stronger.

At 240 pounds, Valanciunas is not nearly strong enough to play centre during a rigorous 82-game NBA season. There is hope: Valanciunas compares himself to Pau Gasol and admires Dwight Howard. In Lithuania, he lives in the paint. There is no real comparison to make to Bargnani.

He will be playing for Lithuania at the FIBA under-19 world championship in Latvia, which begin next week. He is also hoping to play for the senior team at this summer’s European championship. It would be the opportunity of a lifetime, as the event will be taking place in Lithuania.

“In Lithuania, basketball is like a second religion,” Valanciunas said. “Everybody loves basketball.

“I’m ready for that because it will help me to get better, to come to the NBA maybe for next year. With the senior team, I’ll get a lot of experience. It helps me.”

The Raptors are also consigned to having to make the best of the reality that he will be in Lithuania for another year. Colangelo is doing his best to find the positives in that.

For one, Valanciunas would not be ready to contribute in a significant way if he were to come to Toronto next year — again, assuming next year happens. As well, Lietuvos’ new coach is Aleksander Dzikic, who just happened to spend a few years with the Minnesota Timberwolves when Dwane Casey, the Raptors’ head coach, worked there.

“If he does play in Lithuania, we’re not looking at that as a negative situation either. In fact, it could be very positive,” Colangelo said. “If the right working environment is agreed to, perhaps even as part of our buyout, we can look at it as an opportunity of growth and preparation for him to be ready for that transition in a subsequent season.”

The Raptors also picked up options on DeMar DeRozan and James Johnson as well as last year’s top draft choice, Ed Davis. All three players’ deals are now guaranteed through the 2012-13 season.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1QEsi6Yiv

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...945/story.html

Comment

rapsfan2011 wrote: View Post
        Raps are free to sign Jonas now with a agreement being reached according to reports
        dude was playing for 40 000 Euros I think he and his agent are supremely motivated to get that NBA rookie contract.... did you catch that? BC just drafted 240 lb bone rack being paid 40 000 Euros with the number 5 pick,,,,, *sigh*
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
          dude was playing for 40 000 Euros I think he and his agent are supremely motivated to get that NBA rookie contract.... did you catch that? BC just drafted 240 lb bone rack being paid 40 000 Euros with the number 5 pick,,,,, *sigh*
          ...nope, still don't see the point you're trying to make, shame because I'm sure it's rational, thought out, mind blastingly astute, etc.
          "Come back, Lisa, you little love killer...Come back Lisa, Lisa Lisamiller."
          -Newsradio

Comment

Whether I like the pick or not, this is good news. Glad the buyout got done right away.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

im a bit confused is he playing this october?

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
                If there is a season next year (2011-12 season) he won't be playing.

We'll see him in 2 seasons time - Ocotober 2012 book it.

Comment

KakashiPrince wrote: View Post
                  He's coming in the 2012-13 season, so october 2012.

Comment

^ thanks... there are other sources that are misconstrued.. :/

Comment

Captain Haddock wrote: View Post
                      ...nope, still don't see the point you're trying to make, shame because I'm sure it's rational, thought out, mind blastingly astute, etc.
                      I detect sarcasm.... (raised eyebrow).
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

so we get to see him for half a season then the world ends.. great..
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

grab harrison barnes in next years draft and then we're in business

Comment

This is good news. I thought it was a given that he wouldn't play this upcoming season. It's good to know they've locked him in for the following season. This coming season might not even take place so again, this pick is smart.

Comment

hope he gains some muscle when he comes back
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Working...
                              X