This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sick of 80% of you ...

I don't understand what 80% of you complain so much about this pick ... it is BY FAR the best pick we could have made.

Why draft another point guard that is a Bayless clone ... give Bayless a real chance to prove something this year. Calderon contract is running down and will be great trade bait going forward (talk all the shit you want about him he is a top 20 point guard in the league).

SG: We have DeRozan no upgrade is needed

SF: We have Johnson ... I am cool with this. He is still young and always brings it.

PF: We have Bargs, Davis, and Amir ... we get one more year to see what Bargs can do. If he improves his rebounding (and I think he will) we keep him, if not we trade him for a decent return.

C: We have Alabi (for now, I think we will add a mid range center). Alabi has never had a shot to prove anything. He should get his shot this year. If he is decent awsome we now have a backup. If not we will have Valanciunas. This guy is no Barg ... he has balls. Plus with the lockout next year he could still have a full year to improve and put on some weight.

So brakedown:
    -Young PG, SG, SF, PF and C will have a shot to prove who has it and who should be traded.
    -Calderon contract becomes better trade bait as time goes on.
    -If Barbosa comes back he will be a great trade asset.
    -We get one more year to decide which one of the 3 PF get traded.
    -We get to see how much better our defence can get with the right coach.
    -We will have cap space, assets, and a more developed core for Valanciunas.
    -We will get another top 5 pick.
    -If we have no season Valanciunas will be one of the few rookies to actually play and imporve.

80% of the NBA will wish they have our team in 2 years. All of you giving BC shit right now will be on your knees in 2 years thanking him.

I'd rather have another year like last then draft Walker or Knight who will get us a worse draft pick and still get us nowhere.

PG: Bayless
    SG: DeRozan
    SF: Johnson (Possible top pick next year to improve)
    PF: Barg, Johnson, or Davis
    C: Valanciunas

That is a team I can't wait to watch.

Considering the vast majority of people on this forum voted that they liked the pick, I'm not sure where you get the 80% from. If you want to say you're sick of 15%, then that would have made sense. But 85% of the people polled like the pick.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

A total of less then 20 people voted they wanted the pick ... if 20 raps fans here count for everyone then this team is screwed.

Next

Comment

Not just the pick but I think he is highlighting the raptors future. Which I do agree, most people seem pessimistic about. I think YoungGuns is right, and I do finally believe that for maybe the 2nd time in our franchises history we are building our team right. I think BC should be trusted with our team going forward, and I am very optimistic for the next couple of years to see our team consistently get better.
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
          A total of less then 20 people voted they wanted the pick ... if 20 raps fans here count for everyone then this team is screwed.

Next
          Actually, 38 of the 45 who answered the poll said they were happy with the pick. Perhaps that number is different on other sites, but in this forum the majority seem to be happy with the pick.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            Actually, 38 of the 45 who answered the poll said they were happy with the pick. Perhaps that number is different on other sites, but in this forum the majority seem to be happy with the pick.
            Maybe he's addressing every Raptor fan through this thread....

Comment

YoungGuns wrote: View Post
              I don't understand what 80% of you complain so much about this pick ... it is BY FAR the best pick we could have made.

Why draft another point guard that is a Bayless clone ... give Bayless a real chance to prove something this year. Calderon contract is running down and will be great trade bait going forward (talk all the shit you want about him he is a top 20 point guard in the league).

SG: We have DeRozan no upgrade is needed

SF: We have Johnson ... I am cool with this. He is still young and always brings it.

PF: We have Bargs, Davis, and Amir ... we get one more year to see what Bargs can do. If he improves his rebounding (and I think he will) we keep him, if not we trade him for a decent return.

C: We have Alabi (for now, I think we will add a mid range center). Alabi has never had a shot to prove anything. He should get his shot this year. If he is decent awsome we now have a backup. If not we will have Valanciunas. This guy is no Barg ... he has balls. Plus with the lockout next year he could still have a full year to improve and put on some weight.

So brakedown:
              -Young PG, SG, SF, PF and C will have a shot to prove who has it and who should be traded.
              -Calderon contract becomes better trade bait as time goes on.
              -If Barbosa comes back he will be a great trade asset.
              -We get one more year to decide which one of the 3 PF get traded.
              -We get to see how much better our defence can get with the right coach.
              -We will have cap space, assets, and a more developed core for Valanciunas.
              -We will get another top 5 pick.
              -If we have no season Valanciunas will be one of the few rookies to actually play and imporve.

80% of the NBA will wish they have our team in 2 years. All of you giving BC shit right now will be on your knees in 2 years thanking him.

I'd rather have another year like last then draft Walker or Knight who will get us a worse draft pick and still get us nowhere.

PG: Bayless
              SG: DeRozan
              SF: Johnson (Possible top pick next year to improve)
              PF: Barg, Johnson, or Davis
              C: Valanciunas

That is a team I can't wait to watch.
              Good for you man. Well said but don't know about the 80% part.

Comment

I think they're a minority. Most people around here don't hold motherland against a player.

Comment

The thing I just can't seem to understand why people care so much about a draft pick regardless of who it is. There were not many guys who are expected to make an impact next year. As a fan who remembers the 16 win days, the "Antonio Davis is not a starting C but somehow he's an all-star" days, and the "Michael Stewart is the future of our interior D" days, I'm happy with the prospect of having our centre position filled for years to come.

Oh, and I love Antonio Davis, but man was it hard watching the poor bastard have to guard bigger guys all the time. He knew how to bring it though.

Comment

I don't want to pop your bubble but that lineup you read with Bayless and Jonas is almost D-League material in the NBA. Most draft picks don't pan out and the fact that the Raps can only add talent through the draft don't expect the Raps to be any good for a 5-7 years unless they get lucky in the draft. If they add a scorer like Granger and take a flier on Oden, then they can be worthy of competing in the NBA, otherwise it's the second worst roster in the NBA as the Bobcats are worse but not too far away

Comment

All fine points so far. I was hugely disappointed on Draft night... even hurled an expletive toward the screen in front of my children. (which promptly brought the ire of my other half down hard on me, deservedly so)

After digesting this pick, I'm O.K. with it. I think the key going forward is to keep a stable crew together until they reach their mid-late twenties. (3-4 years) BC has to keep Demar, Amir, Ed and JJ on board for the whole process.

I'm also kind of happy that we'll suck next year and hopefully get a top five pick again.

What I want to see next year is Sonny develop a long range shot, preferably from the corner three. That way he can sit there while the defense wonders if he will attack the rim or drain a trey. This guy has to step it up right away, his leash is short.

JuJu should stay on board. I personally think he has a bit of a Forrest Gump mentality. Can't take his refusal too seriously. However, he can defend, nuff said.

Give Alabi minutes and army his arse into a tough s.o.b. Let the inner African loose. (no racism here, I would say the same about a Scotsman or Friesen, which I am.) He needs to be a presence.

Cut Dorsey, or package him into a trade for a good 3-point shooter.

Give Ajinca some burn. He has some nice video. Shows some fluidity and athleticism.

Keep English around to develop all players strokes. We need long range accuracy.

Somehow knock it into Bayless's head what he needs to become if he wants a long, illustrious, successful career in the NBA. Playmaker who can attack or score from distance. I'd like to see him turn a corner next year.

Comment

i think barney is as good as gone its just a matter of judging his real value isay hes gone around deadline day if the nba is resumed
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Good stuff youngguns thats what I've been thinking the whole time... people need to settle down, we got potentially good players we still gotta wait and see on.. And I agree that Jose can play, especially if he gets more confident with his shot. Plus Bayless averaged like 20 pts a game the last 10 games (agree we lost most but I mean, he's 22, give the guy a chance...) Why go after Knight/Kemba?

The 80% refers, for example, to most of the comments in the Draft night Open Thread right after the guy was drafted

http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/06/2...#disqus_thread

Comment

Raps Mixed Culture Revealing Deep Racism?

I pose this question because, without a doubt in my mind and many others, every time we consider, look at, draft, acquire any player not born in the US or Canada as "garbage" because he's white. But Nash seems to get a pass for some reason. Point I'm making is don't make this a soccer mentality where race plays a huge issue. Our NBA make-up, as a whole, is changing. These are new times, eras being formed, generations passing the baton to the next and no matter what we say, live by, love and cherish, we're still a PLANET of RACES. Get over it.

I'm black and my girl is white/french Indian and our son has the best of both worlds. This is basketball, not Race-ball, y'all. When I read some of the trash posted by some cats, it disgusts me, real talk. If anything, I just wish THIS little spot we have on RR as RAPS fans, shouldn't follow this mentality. This is a country that Thompson and Joseph are gonna rep, even better than Magloire did/does. These dudes wanna be proud of where they come from, but, listening to some immature racist jabs about Euro players is 100 % WACK from concentrate.

We need players that have the skills, talent and IQ to play the game of ball. We need these players, REGARDLESS of skin color. Why can't the likes of Dirk, Zabonis, Stockton, etc...why can't they have idols? As a matter of fact, I like Jonas more now because of the racist hate he's getting city-wide. I'm an underdog fan, and Jonas is facing a fanbase, with obvious lack of any knowledge of a player, that seems quite rash towards a guy who hasn't even taken a piss in his new home. Lighten up, people, and slide off the racist hate.

Hate him because he racked up fouls, shot 2-20, gets slammed on, etc. But dude hasn't even played here, yet. And if he's good, that's great. He's only 19, y'all. Imagine you in HIS shoes, having to listen and hear media boosting him and such, while OUR minds start crafting "ideas" of the who this kid is, him having to come to a country where he has to learn english, while answering questions he doesn't even have answers for...I'm happy for him and he seems like a great kid, who WANTS to be here....all while hearing the "fans" bellowing out racist ****. Absolutely counter-productive for future success.

Face it, our culture is changing, in that regard too. Where players are now, WANTING to come here and change the culture to a winning one. Soon after, maybe your US/NBA star players might follow suit. Fact is, we need talent to focus on, not color. I can hear it, now: Players telling guys that you'll like it in Toronto, as long as your black?!?!?! Insane. As for my FELLOW multi-cultural peers on RR, I really hope you ALL have a player entering the NBA in the future. That alone will help raise the level of people going out to learn about cultures by learning about that respective player. Long live Multi-Culturalism!!!! Raps All Day!!!! That is all.
                            The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                            Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                            www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                            http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

“I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Working...
                              X