Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011/12 official tanking thread

The draft is stacked next year lets get the tanking started lol

We shouldn't be having this thread until we know for sure there is going to be a season.

Comment

For those who are hoping for another top-5 selection next year, it really isn't likely to happen again.

I would argue that even if the raps hit the floor with the exact same personnel next year (which they won't) they'll improve by 5-8 wins due to internal development, and the coaching change.

While I think obtaining another top-5 lottery selection would be great, especially in a draft with as much talent as next year's projects to have, I really think if our current squad can't improve by at least 5 or more wins from last year, we're in some trouble.

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
        For those who are hoping for another top-5 selection next year, it really isn't likely to happen again.

I would argue that even if the raps hit the floor with the exact same personnel next year (which they won't) they'll improve by 5-8 wins due to internal development, and the coaching change.

While I think obtaining another top-5 lottery selection would be great, especially in a draft with as much talent as next year's projects to have, I really think if our current squad can't improve by at least 5 or more wins from last year, we're in some trouble.
        Well unless Bargnani starts rebounding more and improves his help defence, I don't see us winning more than 25 games. Defense needs to improve, offense needs to improve, everything needs to improve.

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post

You have to realize that a lot of other teams, including Cleveland, New Jersey, Minnesota, Sacramento and Washington, will all probably improve, too. This isn't in a vacuum.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            You have to realize that a lot of other teams, including Cleveland, New Jersey, Minnesota, Sacramento and Washington, will all probably improve, too. This isn't in a vacuum.
            True, but that also means there will be other teams which regress. I think outside of player development, the coaching change will also help in the W-L column. Thorpe himself said a coach can make a bigger difference than most people think, and Casey sounds like he will keep the players accountable defensively, which will translate in the W-L column.

Comment

Based on current rosters (pre-free agency) Charlotte will have the worst record ... Cleveland won't be too far behind.
              -I think Minnesota and Sacramento will rise above us slightly, while Washington will stay roughly on par for development.

That leaves us in the 3-6 range, with a chance to rock out at the lottery - but let's develop this season!
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

What is with this new found acceptance of failure? Exactly when did Tanking become anything but a mark of shame?

It has to be this idea that being the worst EARNS you the right to future assets.
                This is what's wrong with this draft ordering.

An organization and fanbase that accept failure is clearly high on FA lists of places to go.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
                  Based on current rosters (pre-free agency) Charlotte will have the worst record ... Cleveland won't be too far behind.
                  -I think Minnesota and Sacramento will rise above us slightly, while Washington will stay roughly on par for development.

That leaves us in the 3-6 range, with a chance to rock out at the lottery - but let's develop this season!
                  How? They had the best draft out of all the teams and I'm positive MJ (Cho) is going to be active in free agency. Biscmack + Kemba + whatever's left > last place

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                    What is with this new found acceptance of failure? Exactly when did Tanking become anything but a mark of shame?

It has to be this idea that being the worst EARNS you the right to future assets.

An organization and fanbase that accept failure is clearly high on FA lists of places to go.
                    I'm sorry, would you prefer the Lakers getting the No.1 pick? look, as fans we just have to accept the fact that our team cannot compete in this league right now.

Comment

All we need is a top10 pick and BC trades up in the draft because he has done a good job in keeping a lot of young talent to use as trade pieces.

Comment

People often site the 2000's Pistons as an example of why you don't need a franchise player to win (championships). They are the exception. Everyone else who has won titles in the last generation, has had elite talent (1 or 2 players, at least). We are not going to win a title unless we hit a home run in the draft. That usually only happens after a poor season. We want to lose now, so we can win later. It is not an "acceptance of failure." It is a temporary acceptance of failure.

Winning 40 games and losing in the first round of the playoffs should also be viewed as failure. Let's set the bar a little higher. Unfortunately you don't go from 20 to 50 wins overnight.
                        Last edited by Donnie Brasco; Sun Jun 26, 2011, 02:42 AM.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                          How? They had the best draft out of all the teams and I'm positive MJ (Cho) is going to be active in free agency. Biscmack + Kemba + whatever's left > last place
                          Charlotte was one of the worst scoring teams last season, almost dead last I believe. They've already lost Gerald Wallace, now they lose 20+ PPG scorer Stephen Jackson. Where will their scoring come from? Bismack Biyombo? I like the moves Rich Cho made, but they will regress this season, but are on the right track.

Comment

We got screwed in this year's draft position. Even if we win some more games and move up some spots in the standings, hopefully things will average out in the lottery and we will move up draft positions instead of falling.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post

Lets see....Bargnani's rookie year... on the bench.... team is good.
                              Bargnani's 2nd year...on the bench.... team is ok.
                              Bargnani's 3rd year... starter.... tanking becomes an option.
                              Bargnani's 4th year... starter.... should have tanked instead.
                              Bargnani's 5th year.....starter..... tanking here we come.
                              Bargnani's 6th year... expected starter....team must tank.

So why the acceptance of failure now? See above.
                              Last edited by GarbageTime; Sun Jun 26, 2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X