No announcement yet.

2011/12 official tanking thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I am glad to know that it is all Bargnani's fault that we suck. Thanks to all those posters who made that clear, I thought a player that accounted for roughly 15% of the team's total minutes would not be the only reason we suck, but all the Bargnani haters have made it clear for me now......
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
      What is with this new found acceptance of failure? Exactly when did Tanking become anything but a mark of shame?

It has to be this idea that being the worst EARNS you the right to future assets.
      This is what's wrong with this draft ordering.

An organization and fanbase that accept failure is clearly high on FA lists of places to go.
      The team has failed for 16 years. Tanking, or whatever you want to call it, isn't a great option, but it's far, far better than the alternative, at this point. A race to mediocrity. Which is exactly what the ceiling of this team has been, even in the best of times.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Cleveland won the draft this year by taking Baron Davis' contract. The 'tank' job they had got them a 4th pick and Thompson. The real reason they got Kyrie was because they took on an albatross of a contract.

So tanking is not always required. However Brian really needs to get a second pick next year. With all the potential prospects at our grasps wouldn't be awesome if we could get a stud SF and PG in the same draft?

You could guess at who will be the bottom feeders in the next draft (despite the 'potential' lockout, I do see a season next year), and Brian needs to start looking at those teams now to see what they would do to give up their picks. A pick now is worth a lot less than a pick during the trade deadline, or during the draft next year. It's more of a gamble, but Brian does seem to like taking risks especially with how he chose JV even though Brian only has a 2 year contract.

The Clippers have Minny's first round pick next year, and its unprotected. I'd like to get that pick some how. Some other teams I'd want to trade with are Sacremento, Washington, Cleveland, Charlotte, Detroit, Phoenix, Houston or NJ.

Comment

well before next season something has to be done to improve competitive balance because a team cannot make the playoffs that are multiple games sub 50%
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Teams aren't just going to give away a lottery pick.

The Cavs got VERY lucky with that lottery, on top of the Clippers being dumb and trading that pick. Though a healthy Eric Gordon would've pushed that pick into the 15-17 range I think.
            You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

The Cavs did get lucky with their pick - no doubt about it, but they got a second pick, and that's the important thing. A team may be inclined to give away a pick if they don't see themselves in the lottery. I'm sure the Clippers thought they had a chance to get into the playoffs around the deadline and didn't.

A pick is worth a lot less now then it is later, so it is very possible to acquire a pick. I would assume most teams are more optimistic before the season starts then half way through the season and may not even consider themselves as lottery bound until after the season has started for about a month or two.

We do have assets as well that we can use. Barbosa (now that he opted in), Bargnani, and the TPE. We also have cap space since JV is not coming over next year.

Acquiring picks, and watching another team tank is a lot funner then watching your own team tank in my opinion.

Comment

Colangelo will never tank. Im kind of scared he tries to put together a "winner" through trades and FA this offseason rather than just getting a couple stop-gap players and letting the young guys develop some more. Just look at OKC and what they were able to accomplish after a couple years of suffering. Add a Barnes/Mcadoo/Gilchrist/Teague/Kabongo to the mix of a seasoned DD and Davis with big Val coming in suddenly that's a hell of a nucleus. A hell of a nucleus. I get excited just thinking about it.

BC just needs to sit pat. I don't know if he will.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hypothetically, if the entire 2011-12 season gets locked out then what order will teams draft in next June?

Do they hold another lottery based on the 2010-11 season? Do they keep the same lottery results as this year (But with the Clippers drafting first, Nets drafting third, etc.)?

Comment

all the GM's get thrown into a cage with a single knife and whoever emerges alive gets the first pick
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

rapsfan2011 wrote: View Post
                      The draft is stacked next year lets get the tanking started lol
                      Colangelo has too much pride to tank. I think he'll roll with the young guys and Casey will try to win as many games as possible with them playing the game the right way (his way) or riding the pine. That scenario is going to lead to a lot of losses in year one unless Colangelo has some big tricks up his sleeves. Those losses won't be intentional directly though; they'll be set up to fail but go down swinging. But that's just my theory...

One more thought. I don't think the players can last through a season long lockout. They don't have the resources. For every LeBron James there are twenty who need that pay cheque. They will cave. Majority rule.

Comment

I say trade for a few lotto picks. Gonna be a good draft.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                          all the GM's get thrown into a cage with a single knife and whoever emerges alive gets the first pick
                          then they hire a bunch of monkeys to gm the teams from now on.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

JoePanini wrote: View Post
                            I say trade for a few lotto picks. Gonna be a good draft.
                            And I say I should go over to the Middle East and broker a peace deal between Israel and the Palestinians. Easier said than done, though. Everyone knows it's going to be a good draft, and I doubt anyone in the lottery trades out of it. Not without offering way more than the Raptors have.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                              What is with this new found acceptance of failure? Exactly when did Tanking become anything but a mark of shame?

It has to be this idea that being the worst EARNS you the right to future assets.
                              This is what's wrong with this draft ordering.

An organization and fanbase that accept failure is clearly high on FA lists of places to go.
                              Because we all know how FA's change teams from constant mediocrity to championship contenders. Look at the Mavericks, Lakers, Celtics and Spurs. They all won championships because of FA, right?

Oddly enough, you're the one that's accepting failure by trying to "compete" into irrelevance, and signing an overpaid asshole that'll come here and do jacks***. Personally I'd rather tank 1 more year (considering how talented next years draft will be) and hope that we get that missing piece through the draft, cause we sure as hell are not bringing in "The One" through FA.
                              Last edited by nubreed000; Tue Jun 28, 2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                                Hypothetically, if the entire 2011-12 season gets locked out then what order will teams draft in next June?

Do they hold another lottery based on the 2010-11 season? Do they keep the same lottery results as this year (But with the Clippers drafting first, Nets drafting third, etc.)?
                                They average the winning percentage of the last 5 seasons or something like that. It's in the Raps best interest to actually have the opportunity to "tank", as that will guarantee us a higher pick than if we base it off our last 5 seasons of being just good enough to get destroyed in the playoffs, but too good to get a top 5 pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X