Thorpe: Alabi is better then Joel Anthony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    That is encouraging. I'm not going to lie here but I have/had written him off. I'll take the line "I'll believe it when I see it" because, quite frankly, last year was awful on so many levels.

I hope he does become a good NBA player and the Raptors have their backup C of the future.
    You mean the 10 min he got all season after blowouts?
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Sun Jun 26, 2011, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      If Alabi turns into a solid bench player then he's a steal at #50.
      On June 27, 2010, it was revealed that Alabi had Hepatitis B, which was the reason for him sliding so far in the NBA Draft.
      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Well all know this. I don't get your point. He's still a steal if he becomes a bench player.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          You mean the 10 min he got all season after blowouts?
          Yes. He looked slow, uncoordinated, and weak. He had no lateral movement, no hops, no offensive skill. It was very difficult to have any hope for the guy. Hopefully the knee was the concern and he can show his true potential.

Comment

Towards the end of the season he started showing some real explosion. This is now the 3rd or 4th positive alabi report I've read in the last couple weeks. Encouraging.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Yes. He looked slow, uncoordinated, and weak. He had no lateral movement, no hops, no offensive skill. It was very difficult to have any hope for the guy. Hopefully the knee was the concern and he can show his true potential.
              I dont agree - dude is mobile - I saw him live in vegas last summer and his issue is not coordination - he needs fundamentals confidence and better knowledge of the game.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that Alabi has gone from a guy that you couldn't have on the floor to the player that Thorpe is describing in the original post.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
                  I find it hard to believe that Alabi has gone from a guy that you couldn't have on the floor to the player that Thorpe is describing in the original post.
                  he is likely somewhere in between but he had knee issues which hampered his training. Bottom line is if you have a big man like that who is coach-able and can cope with the pain to train - he can get there.

Roy Hibbert took numerous years @ George town to become considered an outside prospect - they said he was too slow / awkward etc... all the same stuff... but the dude flat out did what ever was asked of him and is one of the hardest working guys out there.

Now he is solid if not spectacular - maybe Alabi will make the same sacrifices.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                    he is likely somewhere in between but he had knee issues which hampered his training. Bottom line is if you have a big man like that who is coach-able and can cope with the pain to train - he can get there.

Roy Hibbert took numerous years @ George town to become considered an outside prospect - they said he was too slow / awkward etc... all the same stuff... but the dude flat out did what ever was asked of him and is one of the hardest working guys out there.

Hibbert was a top 5 prospect in 2007 who decided to stay another year only to watch his stock plummet to 17 the next year.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post

I believe that Alabi will be an improved player next year but I don't think we'll see the jump in production that Thorpe is suggesting. I like Solo and hope that he can turn into a rotation guy in the league but this is a guy who couldn't even get in a lot of blowouts last year because he simply wasn't ready to play in the NBA. I'm not sure if Thorpe did him any favors by piling on these extra expectations.

Comment

Working...
                      X