Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buyer Beware: Tyson Chandler (ESPN Insider)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Raptors would have more options acquiring a center through trades instead of through free agency. With Bargnani (hopefully), Calderon (less likely since we didn't draft a PG), Barbosa, and now possibly Weems we may be able to put together an enticing package for another team.

This would be an interesting trade forum topic, but trying to find the best possible trade that would yield the following:
    a) trading Bargnani
    b) gaining a center
    c) gaining a pick from 2012 (preferably a lottery)

Right now I have Bargnani for Hickson and the Cavs 2012 #1 pick. We lose a lot of offense though with that, but would get our banger/rebounder/center and a pick. Cavs would use their Lebron TPE to acquire Bargs.
    http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3cf7dpm

Comment

I think Chandler would step in and help the Raps quite a bit on the defensive end, but I hate the idea of signing him. As much as I enjoyed watching him play this season with the Mavs, the guy is a front runner(plays hard when the team is doing well) and has a history of injury problems. That's the last guy I want to sign for $70 million over 5 years or whatever Chandler is going to end up getting.

His arrival in Toronto will help them win a few more games but it won't make them anywhere close to a contender. So we get stuck drafting out of the top 8 or 9 for the next few years and pray that Chandler keeps playing hard for us, or playing at all. If you're going to bottom out then just do it properly.

Just because you have the cap space during a given summer does not mean that you have to use it. Having that financial flexibility has allowed teams like the Thunder (I thought I'd use them since they're the front office that every other front office looks up to at this given time) to buy extra draft picks and get other assets on the cheap. The Cavs ended up with Kyrie Irving this year because they were able to take Baron Davis' whale of a contract off the Clippers hands and got a first rounder back in return. If we willingly give out a huge deal like this to a player that is going to marginally (in my opinion) help the win total then we're handcuffing ourselves and losing all ability to do those things.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        The Raptors would have more options acquiring a center through trades instead of through free agency. With Bargnani (hopefully), Calderon (less likely since we didn't draft a PG), Barbosa, and now possibly Weems we may be able to put together an enticing package for another team.

This would be an interesting trade forum topic, but trying to find the best possible trade that would yield the following:
        a) trading Bargnani
        b) gaining a center
        c) gaining a pick from 2012 (preferably a lottery)

Right now I have Bargnani for Hickson and the Cavs 2012 #1 pick. We lose a lot of offense though with that, but would get our banger/rebounder/center and a pick. Cavs would use their Lebron TPE to acquire Bargs.
        http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3cf7dpm
        Hickson I am afraid is not a center. He is a PF and may have been inserted as a C in a matchup situation. We are already stocked in that area. I would replace him with Varejao and it would make a bit more sense. I dont know that the Cavs would go along with that though.

Comment

I'd take Varejao over Hickson too :-)

But I guess the point of my post was that instead of looking at Chandler or any other potential free agent who plays center, I'd go down the trade route instead. If it was done right we could gain a center (temporarily until JV is up to speed), get rid of Bargnani, and gain another pick from a really good draft.

Some other candidates would include Phoenix (Gortat), Houston (Thabeet), Charlotte (Diop), NJ (Lopez), Utah (Okur), Golden State (Biedrins), Minny (Miller/Milicic), Sacramento (Whiteside), or Washington (Blatche).

I just quickly looked at available centers on each team. Guys who aren't really studs, that you could potentially get for Bargs and an unconditional 2012 pick. Is it too late to trade for a 2011 draft pick? With Charlotte we may even be able to get Kemba or Biyombo back with Diop

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
            I'd take Varejao over Hickson too :-)

But I guess the point of my post was that instead of looking at Chandler or any other potential free agent who plays center, I'd go down the trade route instead. If it was done right we could gain a center (temporarily until JV is up to speed), get rid of Bargnani, and gain another pick from a really good draft.

Some other candidates would include Phoenix (Gortat), Houston (Thabeet), Charlotte (Diop), NJ (Lopez), Utah (Okur), Golden State (Biedrins), Minny (Miller/Milicic), Sacramento (Whiteside), or Washington(Blatche).

I just quickly looked at available centers on each team. Guys who aren't really studs, that you could potentially get for Bargs and an unconditional 2012 pick. Is it too late to trade for a 2011 draft pick? With Charlotte we may even be able to get Kemba or Biyombo back with Diop

Comment

Oh how we've forgotten

Seems eerily familiar to the Hedo situation.
              Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I like Chandler but I don't want him here. He'll ask for too much money and like others have said, he'll likely flop after getting a big deal or help to improve the team enough that we end missing out on a top draft pick in next year's loaded draft. Personally, take a shot a cheaper stop gap measure until Jonas is ready to go. I'd take a run at Samuel Dalembert. The Canadian connection would help appease the fan's anger over whom we drafted and sell a few tickets too. Dalembert would not have anywhere near the same impact as a Chandler would. Thus, we'd still secure a top draft choice next year. Another guy to look at is DeAndre J. from the Clippers.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  A four year deal could make sense.

Year 1 - no Jonas

Year 2 - Jonas is the back up as a rookie and 21

Year 3 - Jonas 2nd year still back up and 22

Year 4 - Jonas 3rd year and transition to full time C at 23 and Chandler becomes trade bait at 33 for a Western Conference playoff team looking for depth

My fear is with Chandler:

1) he gets paid and quits
                  2) they trade ED or Amir (More ED) to pair Bargnani with Chandler
                  3) the Raptors become good enough to enter the dead zone of playoff bubble.
                  How about this:

Year 1 Andrea (C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                  Year 2 Andrea (C), JV (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                  Year 3 Andrea (C), JV (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                  Year 4 JV (C), Andrea (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)

there, no Chandler. Lot's of money left to get other meaningful players. Yay, points!
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                    How about this:

Year 1 Andrea (C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                    Year 2 Andrea (C), JV (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                    Year 3 Andrea (C), JV (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)
                    Year 4 JV (C), Andrea (backup C) & Ed (PF), Amir (backup PF)

there, no Chandler. Lot's of money left to get other meaningful players. Yay, points!
                    I'm confused, Balls. Many of your posts rip BC and his coddling of Bargnani - so do you want Bargnani traded or not?

I should have clarified but my scenario assumed no Bargnani.

Comment

I dunno if Arsenalist was serious about his post, but I think he was onto something. We should go after Oden. For Bargnani. We might even get a couple of draft picks out of it.
                      your pal,
                      ebrian

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I'm confused, Balls. Many of your posts rip BC and his coddling of Bargnani - so do you want Bargnani traded or not?

I should have clarified but my scenario assumed no Bargnani.
                        I'm being realistic. I want Andrea traded but I don't think it's happening. Casey's tone about AB already tells me that schemes are being put into place to hide his defensive atrociousness. With his BYC tag coming off this coming season, he's not headed to the bench anytime soon either.
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                        X