No announcement yet.

Jonas Sharp Against Americans at FIBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kabongo and Birch might be in the next draft and Bennett and Wiggins have a shot at getting drafted further down the line. The Americans don't put much stock in these international tournaments and as evident, some Canadians players don't either. The focus is going to be the NBA and NCAA first. I understand that. Here's hoping that Thompson and Joseph accept an invite to the National team's camp in July.
    Last edited by stretch; Wed Jun 29, 2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Hes looking good
      Foot Locker Deals

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
        So Jonas goes out and abuses a guy who is projected as a top 10 player in the LOADED 2012 draft and you are still grumpy?
        To be fair he has 3 inches on Young and Young was no where near as motivated as he would be in the regular season.

Comment

The full game for anyone who wants to watch it:

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
            U19 is probably not the sort of reps you want to go through to prepare for the NBA. If the guys drafted this year can get into some sort player organized league where they are competing against other NBA ready players and NBA vets, than by all means that would be preferential. These guys need to gain experience and do so fast, there will be a steep learning curve when they see action. So playing against guys that have 5-6 years on them is the best thing they can do.

U19 is better than nothing, but if I got my named called, I would no longer practice to age restrictions.

(Notice none of the players that played for team USA, just got drafted... instead its the guys from the next draft.)
            He's doing what he should be doing and he dominated a very strong American team...and yeah the draft picks from next year are supposedly infinitely superior to the ones this year. Not that it's just you, but the glass half empty schtick is getting kind of tired.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
              Kabongo and Birch might be in the next draft and Bennett and Wiggins have a shot at getting drafted further down the line. The Americans don't put much stock in these international tournaments and as evident, some Canadians players don't either. The focus is going to be the NBA and NCAA first. I understand that. Here's hoping that Thompson and Joseph accept an invite to the National team's camp in July.
              I spoke with Leo earlier this month and if insurance issues are not a problem both Thompson and Joseph will be invited to the senior camp with a chance to make the team. As for Kabongo, Birch and Wiltjer they are at school getting a jump on early credits to make their freshman year easier for them. Remember these school are investing in these players and some of the big schools put a great deal of pressure on the recruits to get to campus as early as possible. As for some other you mentioned, I don't think Notice would have beat anyone out of a roster spot. Staukas duplicates what Scrub brings, Phil Scrub was a NCAA D-1 recruited athlete that chose to play for Carleton in the CIS, he has a title under his belt and ready to show what he can do. The last I head about Wiggins was that he was going to play on the U16 team and then fly to Latvia to join the U19 team, I don't know what happened with the U16 team, but he could still make it to Latvia before the opening of the tournament. As far as Bennett goes I have no idea about his availability.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

i just hate hearing from all these canadian ballers who claim canada needs support for basketball blah blah blah but never help out the fiba/olympic teams. whats going to make young players want to support canada? i get why nash hasn't the past few years but if these young guys want the country to do something they have to give us something to root for.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  Good summary.

My concern is his lift when he jumps, can it be improved on or is this it?! If he can't jump higher then he won't be able to finish his dunks and instead of Bargnani 2.0 (what most Raptor fans feared at the begining) he could be a young Rasho 2.0 instead (not worthy of a 5th pick).
                  A few days ago I posted that this kid reminds me of Rasho; well, at least the lack of hops and athleticism. Mind you, the kid can at least dunk, something Rasho, for all his qualities, was barely able to do. If this kid turns into the next Rasho? You'll hear no complaints from me. It was the fifth pick in an ugly draft, and Rasho had a long career as a steady defensive presence with a decent (if underwhelming) offensive game.

Comment

Tomorrow against Croatia.

Thursday June 30th, 2011
                    -----------------------------

Croatia v Lithuania
                    Korea v Canada
                    USA v Egypt
                    China v Serbia
                    Russia v Brazil
                    Argentina v Australia
                    Latvia v Chinese Taipei
                    Poland v Tunisia

Friday July 1st, 2011
                    -------------------------

Lithuania v Korea
                    Canada v Croatia
                    Australia v Latvia
                    Brazil v Poland
                    Serbia v USA
                    Chinese Taipei v Argentina
                    Egypt v China
                    Tunisia v Russia

Saturday July 2nd, 2011
                    -------------------------

Canada v Lithuania
                    Argentina v Latvia
                    USA v China
                    Brazil v Tunisia
                    Croatia v Korea
                    Chinese Taipei v Australia
                    Serbia v Egypt
                    Poland v Russia
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 29, 2011, 10:27 AM.

Comment

• LeeZ wrote: View Post
                      A few days ago I posted that this kid reminds me of Rasho; well, at least the lack of hops and athleticism. Mind you, the kid can at least dunk, something Rasho, for all his qualities, was barely able to do. If this kid turns into the next Rasho? You'll hear no complaints from me. It was the fifth pick in an ugly draft, and Rasho had a long career as a steady defensive presence with a decent (if underwhelming) offensive game.
                      Not a bad comparison, although I do think his upside is better than that of Rasho as I think his mobility much better than Rasho's. The added mobility should allow him to grab an extra rebound or two and snag an easy put-back or two as well. Rasho best year statistically was his last in Minnesota where he put up 11 points 6.6 boards and 1.5 blocks while shooting 52.5% from the field, his next year at San Antonio he put up better blocks and rebounds but his scoring dropped to 8.6 ppg on 46% from the field. I do expect Jonas to have better career years than that when all is said and done.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        i just hate hearing from all these canadian ballers who claim canada needs support for basketball blah blah blah but never help out the fiba/olympic teams. whats going to make young players want to support canada? i get why nash hasn't the past few years but if these young guys want the country to do something they have to give us something to root for.
                        Well as far as the young guys go they have all put in time on National teams at a young age, lets see what happens once they are set on their careers and in a stable place. The future is bright, even without some of out top juniors and cadets we can compete at the world level, this is showing the depth of the development that is going on in Canada.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                          Not a bad comparison, although I do think his upside is better than that of Rasho as I think his mobility much better than Rasho's. The added mobility should allow him to grab an extra rebound or two and snag an easy put-back or two as well. Rasho best year statistically was his last in Minnesota where he put up 11 points 6.6 boards and 1.5 blocks while shooting 52.5% from the field, his next year at San Antonio he put up better blocks and rebounds but his scoring dropped to 8.6 ppg on 46% from the field. I do expect Jonas to have better career years than that when all is said and done.
                          Maybe this will allay your fears....

Comment

• @ WJF...apologies I was actually replying to LeeZ (with the vid).

Comment

• We're going to like this kid.
                              Last edited by Liston; Wed Jun 29, 2011, 07:23 PM.
                              http://twitter.com/Liston

Comment

• Liston wrote: View Post
                                We're going to like this kid.
                                And for those who hated this pick because of his buyout, this pick makes total sense now more than ever because of this.
                                “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Working...
                                X