No announcement yet.

Jonas Sharp Against Americans at FIBA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was a lot of Lebron like attitude in the team US demenour " I am losing and I don't care".

JV needs to really put on some weight on his frame or he would be eaten alive in the NBA.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      To be fair, there were only a couple of projected first rounders playing for the Americans. Young and Lamb, although Marshall may sneak in there, as well.
      and to be fair how many of the Lithuanians who played will ever crack an NBA roster? I know it's a friendly, I know the Euros play together more etc., etc. I also know getting housed twice in a row for such vaunted "competitors" is never a good thing.
      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
        Come on though, you got to give Jonas and his squad a bit more credit for blowing the Americans out of the building. Plus, I'm pretty sure he was the man of the match.
        minks77 wrote: View Post
        and to be fair how many of the Lithuanians who played will ever crack an NBA roster? I know it's a friendly, I know the Euros play together more etc., etc. I also know getting housed twice in a row for such vaunted "competitors" is never a good thing.
        I'm not taking anything away from the Lithuanian team. Just stating a fact that may explain the score a little.

I threw up a summary of my thoughts on the game, if anyone's interested...
        http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...-of-americans/
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Nice write up and good catch on the typo!

You missed this slightly mangled sentence:
          "The only time the Americans looked good when he was on the floor and when he came back out they looked lost again."

I only mention it because you threw out the typo edit so you may be one of the few bloggers I've read lately that cares about the legibility of his work.

I thought Young looked awful in this game. Kinda like Joel Anthony without the long arms. His FTs hurt my eyes!
          LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Jonas sharp against americans at FIBA

Many Raptors fans were in hysterics when Jonas Valanciunas’ name was called at the NBA Draft last Thursday because they had never seen him play.

A whole bunch of them got their first look at the big Lithuanian on Tuesday afternoon and it was hard not to be impressed, even if he wasn’t exactly going up against Wilt Chamberlain or Bill Russell.

Valanciunas was the best player on the floor as Lithuania humiliated the United States 108-75 in a tuneup for the FIBA under-19 championship, which gets underway on Thursday in Latvia.

The fifth overall selection by the Raptors imposed his will on the smaller Americans, compiling a game-high 23 points and 11 rebounds, along with two blocks and a steal.

Valanciunas is rail-thin and must pack on 15-25 pounds before he can compete effectively in the NBA, but against those his own age, he has consistently dominated.

Previously, Valanciunas was named MVP of FIBA’s under-18 and under-16 tournaments.

The Americans, including 6-foot-9, 220-pound Florida big man Patric Young — a potential lottery pick in 2012 — had no answers for his length and intensity.

Valanciunas constantly got under the skin of his opponents at both ends and drew a ton of free throw attempts, going 11-15 from the stripe.

Rusty since he had only been back in Lithuania for a few days since being introduced in Toronto on Friday, Valanciunas missed four of his first five shots from the floor before going 5-of-6 from the field the rest of the way.

While he badly needs to add strength — some of his layups need to be dunks at the next level and his post moves will improve with more bulk — he impressed with his positioning, willingness to mix it up, the chaos he caused inside thanks to his long arms and his ability to get off the floor quickly for second and third attempts at shots or rebounds.

Valanciunas calmly took — and knocked down — his only attempt at a mid-range jumper.

All in all, an impressive performance, considering how much of a whirlwind the past couple of weeks have been for him.

source: http://www.lfpress.com/sports/basket.../18347776.html

Looks we may have ourselves a good one after all

Comment

minks77 wrote: View Post
              Nice write up and good catch on the typo!

You missed this slightly mangled sentence:
              "The only time the Americans looked good when he was on the floor and when he came back out they looked lost again."

I only mention it because you threw out the typo edit so you may be one of the few bloggers I've read lately that cares about the legibility of his work.

I thought Young looked awful in this game. Kinda like Joel Anthony without the long arms. His FTs hurt my eyes!
              Thanks for the catch. Fixed.

As for Young, I also wasn't very impressed. He didn't look at all like the player I'd read about.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Does anyone know when's the next game going to be?

Comment

Anybody have a link for some highlights?

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                    BOX SCORE (LTU 108 - 75 USA)

J. Valanciunas, 25:20,PTS: 23 FG: 6/11(54.5%) FT: 11/15(73.3%) REB(O/T): 3/11 AST:1 TO: 3 BLK: 1
                    15 trips to the line on 11 FGA is remarkable even I have to admit that - USA had no one who could contain him on pick'n roll. I am still grumpy until I see him do it against legit talent and size....
                    "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Hopefully he remains healthy throughout the tournament and his team goes far. To me, I think his real test will be after this tournament when he should be a lock to make the roster for the men's team in the upcoming European championship held in his country. Lituania will be in the same group as Spain and Turkey so you know he'll be playing against real competition.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                        15 trips to the line on 11 FGA is remarkable even I have to admit that - USA had no one who could contain him on pick'n roll. I am still grumpy until I see him do it against legit talent and size....
                        So Jonas goes out and abuses a guy who is projected as a top 10 player in the LOADED 2012 draft and you are still grumpy?
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It's curious that the Raptors first round draft choice has made himself available to his country's under 19 team when so many of Canada's most notable U19 players are missing from the Canadian U19 World Championship team.

Tristan Thompson is 20 and not eligible but Cory Joseph is 19 and not playing. The NBA is headed for a lockout so this tournament could be a chance to play in lieu of a summer league. Also missing are Myck Kabongo, Khem Birch, Kyle Wiltjer (he's from Portland, Oregon, but has dual citizenship and has played for Canada before), Anthony Bennett, Nik Staukas, Duane Notice, and Andrew Wiggins who is only 17 but played on the U17 team in 2009 as a 15 year old.

Perhaps one or two are injured but still why haven't the best players made themselves available as they are for many other countries? I am not waving the flag here, per se, but I am interested in seeing Canada compete with their best, especially when the talent is out there.

Comment

Yeah it's really disappointing
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

blaze89 wrote: View Post
                              While he badly needs to add strength — some of his layups need to be dunks at the next level and his post moves will improve with more bulk — he impressed with his positioning, willingness to mix it up, the chaos he caused inside thanks to his long arms and his ability to get off the floor quickly for second and third attempts at shots or rebounds.
                              Good summary.

My concern is his lift when he jumps, can it be improved on or is this it?! If he can't jump higher then he won't be able to finish his dunks and instead of Bargnani 2.0 (what most Raptor fans feared at the begining) he could be a young Rasho 2.0 instead (not worthy of a 5th pick).

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                                It's curious that the Raptors first round draft choice has made himself available to his country's under 19 team when so many of Canada's most notable U19 players are missing from the Canadian U19 World Championship team.

Tristan Thompson is 20 and not eligible but Cory Joseph is 19 and not playing. The NBA is headed for a lockout so this tournament could be a chance to play in lieu of a summer league. Also missing are Myck Kabongo, Khem Birch, Kyle Wiltjer (he's from Portland, Oregon, but has dual citizenship and has played for Canada before), Anthony Bennett, Nik Staukas, Duane Notice, and Andrew Wiggins who is only 17 but played on the U17 team in 2009 as a 15 year old.

Perhaps one or two are injured but still why haven't the best players made themselves available as they are for many other countries? I am not waving the flag here, per se, but I am interested in seeing Canada compete with their best, especially when the talent is out there.
                                U19 is probably not the sort of reps you want to go through to prepare for the NBA. If the guys drafted this year can get into some sort player organized league where they are competing against other NBA ready players and NBA vets, than by all means that would be preferential. These guys need to gain experience and do so fast, there will be a steep learning curve when they see action. So playing against guys that have 5-6 years on them is the best thing they can do.

U19 is better than nothing, but if I got my named called, I would no longer practice to age restrictions.

(Notice none of the players that played for team USA, just got drafted... instead its the guys from the next draft.)
                                Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Tue Jun 28, 2011, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X