Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

Thread: Ed Davis

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ed Davis

    Many people have expressed there views that Davis is a big part of our future going forward which i agree with. Of those however some have commented that if he's moved they won't be fans of the organization any more. This leads me to the question how good is Ed and how good can he become? Does he have the potential to be a regular in the All-Star game, a potential all NBA defensive team member or is he likely to become a very good role player/starter in the league? Does anyone have a player who they'd compare him to (best case/worst case)?

  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i think this was mentioned before, but PJ Brown comes to mind. people forget how good he was. extremely consistent, too. i don't think Ed will be a perennial allstar, but if i gaze into my crystal ball and see a front court of Ed and big Val i see the raptors having one of the best rebounding/interior defense teams in the league and that's good enough for me.
    @jerboat

  3. #3
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would never say "if they trade _____ I will never be a fan again" because I need to know what they're getting back. I think he's the wrong big to trade though. Bargnani should be the guy to go.

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I would never say "if they trade _____ I will never be a fan again" because I need to know what they're getting back. I think he's the wrong big to trade though. Bargnani should be the guy to go.
    The sensible thing to say is I'd prefer play X to be traded over player Y. But this is simply not the case many are saying he can't be traded. If it's a player who has the potential to be one of the best in the league i get it. But if it's a player who is simply just very good but could return us an all-star talent in a package I don't get the comments made towards him. Everyone overvalues there favorite players but if the move improves the team not sure how peoples loyalty could be dismissed if their fans of an organization not just a player.

  5. #5
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    In my opinion people who say that sort of thing tend to not be serious about their statement. Just thought I'd add that to the conversation as well.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    i think this was mentioned before, but PJ Brown comes to mind. people forget how good he was. extremely consistent, too. i don't think Ed will be a perennial allstar, but if i gaze into my crystal ball and see a front court of Ed and big Val i see the raptors having one of the best rebounding/interior defense teams in the league and that's good enough for me.
    PJ Brown makes some sense although I hope Ed can become better the that (PJ was never over 12 points or 10 boards i believe). I've heard a few ppl mention Chandler which would be great if Ed can move his feet that quick to hedge out on guards. I see some similarity's with Taj Gibson although be it not as quick but a little longer. There rookie numbers are very close in almost every category as well.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NORTHCOAST
    Posts
    1,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    PJ Brown was awesome. Some say he's the reason the Celtics won 3 years back.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Worst Case: Antonio Davis, I don't see Ed NOT averaging about 2 bpg and 10 rbp in his prime. He is already close to those numbers as a rookie.
    Best Case: A better Al horford

  9. #9
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I would never say "if they trade _____ I will never be a fan again" because I need to know what they're getting back. I think he's the wrong big to trade though. Bargnani should be the guy to go.
    If Bargnani is traded, I am wondering how the Raptors are going to put points on the board. Derozen is becoming a solid option and Barbosa, on a good night, can light it up off the bench, but together they accounted for just over 30 points a game last season. Where are the points going to come from with a future front line of Valanciunas, Amir/Davis, and James Johnson?

  10. #10
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    If Bargnani is traded, I am wondering how the Raptors are going to put points on the board. Derozen is becoming a solid option and Barbosa, on a good night, can light it up off the bench, but together they accounted for just over 30 points a game last season. Where are the points going to come from with a future front line of Valanciunas, Amir/Davis, and James Johnson?
    Take out James Johnson and you have the start of your answer. The short answer is that the scoring is going to come from the perimeter spots with contributions by JV and Davis. I don't see any reason why ED can't turn into a 15ppg scorer. Heck, just fixing his FT% should get him there. Valanciunas is a project but surely they are looking at him as being able to score a little or else they wouldn't have drafted him at #5.

  11. #11
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,955
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    If Bargnani is traded, I am wondering how the Raptors are going to put points on the board. Derozen is becoming a solid option and Barbosa, on a good night, can light it up off the bench, but together they accounted for just over 30 points a game last season. Where are the points going to come from with a future front line of Valanciunas, Amir/Davis, and James Johnson?
    They have cap space to sign people and you aren't considering the fact that they're getting something of value back for him if they trade him.

  12. #12
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    bayless
    pick and pop with Ed and big val
    JJ's good for a couple dunks a night
    whoever our pick is next year

    whats important to remember is without bargs stumbling around we won't be giving up the 110 points a game, as such, won't need to score as much.
    @jerboat

  13. #13
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    id like to see us get a solid sixth man in the next couple years. a guy like lamb.
    @jerboat

  14. #14
    Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,174
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    He reminds me alot of a young JO which I think that's his best case scenerio.


  15. #15
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Worst Case: Antonio Davis, I don't see Ed NOT averaging about 2 bpg and 10 rbp in his prime. He is already close to those numbers as a rookie.
    Best Case: A better Al horford
    This would be great either way for the Raptors as both players are very consistent. Many players have had the most success in blocks earlier in their careers so it's not a given he gets to two blocks a game. I think there is a good chance he does but there is a better chance of him hitting 10 boards IMO.

  16. #16
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    great video. so many terrific passes by calderon, i really wish he'd be more aggressive.
    @jerboat

  17. #17
    Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Kitchener
    Posts
    608
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    He reminds me alot of a young JO which I think that's his best case scenerio.

    The quite demeanor and toughness are similarities for sure. If he can even come close to what O'Neal did in his prime the Raptors will be laughing. A lot of people forget just how good JO was before the injuries.

  18. #18
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    for a couple years there he was a legit mvp consideration
    @jerboat

  19. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,038
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree, JO is his Best scenario, but to accomplish that he needs to have a 1. a step back jumper in the post (he barely has an open jumper), 2. Learns differen't post moves and jumphooks, and 3. get even better at guarding pick and rolls.

    Watching that video excites me. Ed could definitely make some noise in the nba.

  20. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,711
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    he already finishes in traffic very well and seems to have a relatively soft touch. id like to see him have a couple post moves this season. big men usually take a solid 4-5 years to figure out their offense. what he really needs to work on though is free throws.
    @jerboat

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •