No announcement yet.

Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great video. so many terrific passes by calderon, i really wish he'd be more aggressive.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
      He reminds me alot of a young JO which I think that's his best case scenerio.

The quite demeanor and toughness are similarities for sure. If he can even come close to what O'Neal did in his prime the Raptors will be laughing. A lot of people forget just how good JO was before the injuries.

Comment

for a couple years there he was a legit mvp consideration
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I agree, JO is his Best scenario, but to accomplish that he needs to have a 1. a step back jumper in the post (he barely has an open jumper), 2. Learns differen't post moves and jumphooks, and 3. get even better at guarding pick and rolls.

Watching that video excites me. Ed could definitely make some noise in the nba.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

he already finishes in traffic very well and seems to have a relatively soft touch. id like to see him have a couple post moves this season. big men usually take a solid 4-5 years to figure out their offense. what he really needs to work on though is free throws.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I am one of those who have said that if the Raptors trade Davis instead Bargnani I'm done with the team. The reason is less to do with how good Davis can potentially be and what it means to the direction of the organization. A team that would value Bargnani over Davis is a team that I feel has their priorities wrong and will never be a contender. Yes, the Raptors would probably get something back in return, but that's not the point. The point is that I simply would lose complete confidence in them building a team.

I was a big fan of the Miami Heat in the early 90s, before the Raptors existed, and really liked the direction their team looked to be heading. Then they made a series of bad trades that I felt completely derailed the future. At one point I just threw up my hands and stopped being a fan. And it wasn't until Pat Riley came on board did they recover. But by then I was done with them and had moved on.

Now, I have much more of connection with Toronto, not only because I'm Canadian, but because I'm from there, but the Raptors have struggled with mediocrity for far too long. If Colangelo truly can't see the damage that keeping Bargnani over Davis will inflict upon the Raptors then I will stop following the team until he's gone.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                Many people have expressed there views that Davis is a big part of our future going forward which i agree with. Of those however some have commented that if he's moved they won't be fans of the organization any more. This leads me to the question how good is Ed and how good can he become? Does he have the potential to be a regular in the All-Star game, a potential all NBA defensive team member or is he likely to become a very good role player/starter in the league? Does anyone have a player who they'd compare him to (best case/worst case)?
                Being one of the fans that actually says this, to me it's more if Ed Davis is traded in order to accommodate for Bargnani to play PF. Bargnani playing PF will be the biggest failed experiment,
                EDIT: no wait that was Bargnani playing SF. The firing of Sam Mitchell just cause he benched Bargnani, like WTF!!! another act of Bargnani being accommodated. Whether it's he can't or won't play any D, has 5 years in the NBA not shown this guy cannot get it done.

Comment

Can we please focus on the topic at hand and that's where people see his potential taking him (Davis that is). I know it's tough but please refrain from bringing Dre into the conversations. There are a ton of threads about him but this is about Davis and what kind of potential he has as a player.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                    he already finishes in traffic very well and seems to have a relatively soft touch. id like to see him have a couple post moves this season. big men usually take a solid 4-5 years to figure out their offense. what he really needs to work on though is free throws.
                    Agreed the other parts of his offense will come but free throws will be an easy way for him to tally on easy points. With his ability to hit the offensive boards there is no reason he can't go to the line 5-6 times a game. Converting them would make him a hell of a player going forward.

Comment

KingRaptors wrote: View Post
                      Being one of the fans that actually says this, to me it's more if Ed Davis is traded in order to accommodate for Bargnani to play PF. Bargnani playing PF will be the biggest failed experiment,
                      EDIT: no wait that was Bargnani playing SF. The firing of Sam Mitchell just cause he benched Bargnani, like WTF!!! another act of Bargnani being accommodated. Whether it's he can't or won't play any D, has 5 years in the NBA not shown this guy cannot get it done.
                      Understand the accommodation point I just wanted to see what kind of value he has with the fan base based on play not emotional attachment. So do you see his as a potential all star or would you have any comparisons to make of him to a current or past player?

As for the Mitchell comment he was awful coach. Great personality/dresser but thats about it. Just cause he yells at players, blasts them in the media, cracks jokes about the Washington Generals and jerks off CB4 doesn't make him a good coach. The worst thing that happened to the franchise was when he won "coach of the year" which has more to do with the solid veterans acquired and roster overhaul by BC then his actual coaching. This handcuffed BC to resigning him and set the organization back several years IMO.

But again lets keep it to Davis not Dre or Smitch

Comment

rasheed wallace on defense and jermaine o'neal on offense

Comment

As for the Mitchell comment he was awful coach. Great personality/dresser but thats about it. Just cause he yells at players, blasts them in the media, cracks jokes about the Washington Generals and jerks off CB4 doesn't make him a good coach. The worst thing that happened to the franchise was when he won "coach of the year" which has more to do with the solid veterans acquired and roster overhaul by BC then his actual coaching. This handcuffed BC to resigning him and set the organization back several years IMO.
                          Bullshit, you don't know anything about Sam or coaching in the NBA.

...and this is why its still going to take years for puck heads to understand basketball. All Sam did was bring us to the playoffs, won COY, but it should have been Bryan with the COY, LOL. When Sam left, so did the teams accountability. As did our playoff hopes, as did our respect around the league.

Sam won, in-spite of Bryan's blunders and asinine ideas. How do you play defence with Kapono and Belineli?
                          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jun 29, 2011, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I would be very happy if he was almost as good as Jermaine O'Neal. The Horford comparison is a good one, I think. Same kind of body, as well.

Comment

Jermaine O'Neal is a horrible comparison for offense. The dude shot a horrible FG% for a PF because he took way too many jump shots. Thankfully Ed Davis' game is closer to the rim and hopefully he doesn't turn into the jump shooter O'Neal/Bosh were/are, or the jump shooter that Antonio Davis became (those baseline jumpers made me shudder).

I think Al Horford is the best comparison.

Comment

I agree with the JO comparison as well. They both play with a chip on their shoulder and if Ed can be near JO in his prime, the Raptors will be good.

Comment

Working...
                                X