No announcement yet.

Jonas Valanciunas Mixtape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to note, this isn't some U18 game - this is him pushing around grown men in the Euro League.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      Good to note, this isn't some U18 game - this is him pushing around grown men in the Euro League.
      Well technically this isn't the Euro league. Its the Lithuanian league (LKL) finals and they lost the series 4-1. Also, LKL isn't even a top 5 league in Europe, so their isn't much of a competition in his country. Euro League is where the tops teams from just about every league in Europe compete and it's like the Champions league of basketball if you follow soccer.

With his team finishing as runner ups in their domestic league, they will have to compete with 15 other teams around Europe in a qualifying round for just 2 spots remaining in the Euro league.
      Last edited by matt; Thu Jun 30, 2011, 08:09 PM.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
        maybe he's a beast? who knew?
        Well he is already better than hoffa ever was - but I am still grumpy until I see him do it against NBA talent.... if he can
        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
          Well he is already better than hoffa ever was - but I am still grumpy until I see him do it against NBA talent.... if he can
          Lituania will face Spain and Turkey in the Eurobasket competition this summer, the older Gasol has already said he's going to play and I'm pretty sure his brother will play given the Lockout. Kanter and probably Okur will play as well so he's going to see NBA talent this summer if he makes the roster.

Comment

This is the kind of mix you expect to see from a guy that many scouts said could've gone #1 if not for his contract. There is a reason that teams were willing to wait and were reputedly placing strong, rejected offers to acquire him. Expectations are through the roof on JV, but I'll temper those expectations by putting them at a 5 year level. When he gets some bulk, he is going to be a very, very difficult man to handle in the post.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              Hoffa did put 18 and 10 as a Sophomore for a pretty decent team... just saying.

I am actually quite pleased with the general attitude toward the pick. I was expecting quite a bit more venom to be honest.

I think he'll be a good pick. But we'll have to wait and see.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Hoffa did put 18 and 10 as a Sophomore for a pretty decent team... just saying.

I am actually quite pleased with the general attitude toward the pick. I was expecting quite a bit more venom to be honest.

I think he'll be a good pick. But we'll have to wait and see.

There was some hostility on draft day actually, not so much here, but by many Raptor fans across other social media outlets.

Most have warmed up to the pick though. I personally like the choice.

Comment

I want the star to do a feature on his 11/11 25 point 17 rebound 2block game against korea. I think that kind of publicity is needed towards the casual fan (even if it doesnt mean much itll help toronto accept him better no?)
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I want the star to do a feature on his 11/11 25 point 17 rebound 2block game against korea. I think that kind of publicity is needed towards the casual fan (even if it doesnt mean much itll help toronto accept him better no?)
                    This is a good point and I fully agree.

He doesn't have the name recognition that say, a Kemba Walker would have come in with, but he at least has something to show off, and Raptors PR need to get that moving quick time.
                    And with Kleiza in the mix as well, it's only another tool to take advantage of.

Comment

Just keep in mind that LKL actually has 2 good teams, while all the rest is complete trash and those 2 teams were meeting for the 13th time in a row at the finals - and basketball there is about the same level like in Euroleague. The team who defeated JV's team has won the Euroleague twelve years ago and it has a much larger budget than JV's team. Also, this rivalry and the sad situation with Jonas' team's financial situation was the main reason why they were so greedy with the buyout.

Comment

Rilu wrote: View Post
                        Just keep in mind that LKL actually has 2 good teams, while all the rest is complete trash and those 2 teams were meeting for the 13th time in a row at the finals - and basketball there is about the same level like in Euroleague. The team who defeated JV's team has won the Euroleague twelve years ago and it has a much larger budget than JV's team. Also, this rivalry and the sad situation with Jonas' team's financial situation was the main reason why they were so greedy with the buyout.
                        LKL is not in the same as Euro league, LKL only has 2 good teams, ACB spain, Lega Italy, and Greece just to name a few that are better than LKL.

Comment

matt wrote: View Post
                          LKL is not in the same as Euro league, LKL only has 2 good teams, ACB spain, Lega Italy, and Greece just to name a few that are better than LKL.
                          What I meant to say is not that LKL is as good as other european leagues, but since the 2 teams are good, the finals level (and the mix is from the finals) is as good as euroleague.

Comment

This is a good point and I fully agree.

He doesn't have the name recognition that say, a Kemba Walker would have come in with, but he at least has something to show off, and Raptors PR need to get that moving quick time.
                            And with Kleiza in the mix as well, it's only another tool to take advantage of.
                            +1

Comment

I don't know about that. If he performed well against an American team full of potential high lottery picks (even though Valanciunas' team is hardly full of potential NBA players, but that's been the argument of late) and in a non-exhibition game, then maybe. Considering the disdain toward the Euroleague (which is composed of the top European clubs), imagine how negative the response would be just because he didn't throw down 40+ points (in 20 minutes) against a country that isn't even on the level of the Euroleague, and whose most recent NBA memory is Ha Seung Jin. If anything, those who are still hostile over the decision would deem the Star to be in MLSE's pockets, if not already.
                              Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 04:47 AM.

Comment

You missed most of it, to be honest.

Draft day was a pretty embarrassing day to be a Canadian.
                                Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X