Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 59

Thread: Patric Young on Jonas Valanciunas: "I know for a fact he is not a lottery pick"

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ahhahaha what a cock.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    883
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    bahaha

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=Quixotic;92145]Uh, if Dwight Howard criticized Valanciunas after dominating him, I might give the opinion more respect, but to say Young is one of his peers? Really? [QUOTE]

    Peer : one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

    How is Young not one of his peers? Did he just not play against him? Will they not enter the NBA in the same year? Whats the age difference between them? Have either played in the NBA? Are they both not playing at the same class level right now? Young is a peer of Jonas. Dwight is not.

    Is Dwight a scout? Does he release scouting reports? Huh... see the contradiction?

    (by the way I think Young is probably wrong... I'm just amazed at the number of people that are attacking/mocking him and yet have less experience with Jonas than Young does. Tim W. has it spot on.... Young's statement doesn't say much for Young.)

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    [QUOTE=GarbageTime;92167][QUOTE=Quixotic;92145]Uh, if Dwight Howard criticized Valanciunas after dominating him, I might give the opinion more respect, but to say Young is one of his peers? Really?

    Peer : one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

    How is Young not one of his peers? Did he just not play against him? Will they not enter the NBA in the same year? Whats the age difference between them? Have either played in the NBA? Are they both not playing at the same class level right now? Young is a peer of Jonas. Dwight is not.

    Is Dwight a scout? Does he release scouting reports? Huh... see the contradiction?

    (by the way I think Young is probably wrong... I'm just amazed at the number of people that are attacking/mocking him and yet have less experience with Jonas than Young does. Tim W. has it spot on.... Young's statement doesn't say much for Young.)
    We're attacking and mocking him because we would do that to anybody who goes from an epic thrashing to immediately trashing.

    It's kind of like somebody getting ktfo in the Octagon (UFC?) and after he wakes up he says that he didn't think the other fighter was particularly good. I've never seen that happen before. A) It's a classless thing to say about somebody period. B) It verges on the ridiculous if he crushes you like an ant.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm imagining Patrick walking around the American dressing room and saying how Valanciunas isn't all that. And I'm going to school him next time and every time he turns his back his own team mates are rolling their eyes at him. Sure Patrick, you sure are gonna get him. sniff...

  6. #26
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe Young's comment was legit. Maybe what he recognized as a blur on the court was the man he was supposed to be covering. It's hard to evaluate a player when you keep sending him to the line for free points or when the whistle blows and the play stops. I think if he were given some truth serum this is what he would of said...

    "That Valanciunas guy was way too fast for me. From my vantage point I know for a fact I only saw his ass end so I couldn't tell if he deserves to be a lottery pick I'll tell you something though...I now know what I need to work on to improve my game...Everything...Anyway what's the big deal...I'm more of a 4 not a 5"

  7. #27
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post

    Peer : one that is of equal standing with another : equal; especially : one belonging to the same societal group especially based on age, grade, or status

    How is Young not one of his peers? Did he just not play against him? Will they not enter the NBA in the same year? Whats the age difference between them? Have either played in the NBA? Are they both not playing at the same class level right now? Young is a peer of Jonas. Dwight is not.

    Is Dwight a scout? Does he release scouting reports? Huh... see the contradiction?

    (by the way I think Young is probably wrong... I'm just amazed at the number of people that are attacking/mocking him and yet have less experience with Jonas than Young does. Tim W. has it spot on.... Young's statement doesn't say much for Young.)
    You can declare whatever group definition of "equal" you want (case in point: Valanciunas and Young are peers, but not Valanciunas and an NBAer had they played each other), so it's kind of moot arguing with you, but no, I do not consider them to be on the same level when one player was drafted in the lottery, and the other, who knows where he's going to end up. The point, anyway, is that criticism coming from someone who actually did well is a lot more valuable than that of someone who was an afterthought.

    And you need more reading comprehension. I did say "if Dwight Howard criticized Valanciunas after dominating him." No need to be so defensive of Young.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Thu Jun 30th, 2011 at 07:40 PM.

  8. #28
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That "Yea but I'm a TOP NBA prospect glory to God" line really irks me. A little humbleness can go a long way.

    I really hope this kid gets his ass handed to him a few more times and learns to be a bit more humble, or maybe he'll just have a career ending injury before things get started. Either way, I couldn't care less about him. Hopefully someone in our division picks him so Jonas can dominate him multiple times a season for years to come! NOW PISS OFF PATRIC!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  9. #29
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    12,292
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default



    I think we need to be a little more secure. The kid said it all. He's 19, he's not a professional(manager, scout, coach, player, etc.) in the basketball world so why do we care? This guy went and riled everybody up when he's less credible than Bleacher Report. I think us Raptors fans made his day by giving him all this attention.

  10. #30
    Raptors Republic Rookie Tank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Uh, if Dwight Howard criticized Valanciunas after dominating him, I might give the opinion more respect, but to say Young is one of his peers? Really?

    The amusing part is this:

    First he says, "I konw for a fact he is not a lottery pick."

    Then he says, "Just like you guys im entitled to my own opinion. Im just a 19 year old kid thats seen him play once so you dnt have to listen to me."

    Do you not see the contradiction? Only seen him play once, but he knows for a fact, as if he was an actual scout? If he released his scouting report on the top 14 players in the 2011 NBA draft, would you bet money on it? You don't have to like Valanciunas to see the humor in that.
    +1

  11. #31
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Looks like it was frustration.


    Patric4Young Patric Casey Young
    @dderozanshouse man if you were at the game you would have seen it man and im done talkin on twitter u got it
    49 minutes ago

    Patric Young (@Patric4Young) is a great player and a good guy, just was a little frustrated. Happens to the best of us. I wish him the best.
    1 hour ago

    @RaptorsRhetoric Thanks man hopefully ill have a fair chance this time lol
    1 hour ago

    @RaptorsRhetoric Im sorry man i shouldn't have just talked about the guy like that he probably worked really hard to get where he is today
    2 hours ago

    @RaptorsRhetoric Makes me mad because i have been working on real post moves preparing for next year but you right i have to let my game tlk
    2 hours ago

    @RaptorsRhetoric The only reason i was so upset was because the move he made during the game is an illegal NBA move that he did everytime!!!
    2 hours ago
    LOL@ Raptor fans for making Patric think twice about his twitter. Looks like Patric is working on his back peddle.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jun 30th, 2011 at 09:58 PM.

  12. #32
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Smoke City
    Posts
    3,369
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Looks like it was frustration.




    LOL@ Raptor fans for making Patric think twice about his twitter. Looks like Patric is working on his back peddle.
    There you go, now we can all move on happily!
    Keep Calm & Chive On

  13. #33
    Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Streetsville
    Posts
    489
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Young is having a great game against Serbia

    Serbia 69 - 67 USA (5:56 left)

  14. #34
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Has Patric overstepped his place? Sure. But those officials were horrendous.
    Two of Young's three first half fouls were over the backs -- except he was closer
    to the rim and Val reached over him. The third they didn't even show, I assume
    it was when the two were battling for space on the block.

    Did you guys actually watch that game? Young barely played because every time
    he touched Val a whistle was blown. The calls were horrible. Should the US have
    won? No. There rotations were a mess, the ball was not going through their best
    player, etc., But the massacre that happened was complete fiction.

    Young does contradict himself, calls Val a talent but then says he shouldn't have been
    drafted. I'll assume that's being young and being emotional, but he has some points.
    Jonas is not even close to being a finished product. Young, a small power forward
    MAY be further along in his physical development as a player. He at least has
    the build of an NBAer.

  15. #35
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is true that some whistles have been blown in our favor, though Young's effort to stand against Jonas was laughable. I agree that his statement was ridiculous. Like Jonas said in an interview, our team might have gone a bit cocky after the victory against us, but the cold shower against Croata should fix that. Btw, they are doing good against Korea already. It's a shame latvians do not stream those games anywhere, we in Lithuania think that's foolish.

  16. #36
    Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    3,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    young goes 6/6 13 points 7 reb 1 block 1 steal and 3 t.o's.
    i say we track both players stats every game and tweet the better boxscore at young

  17. #37
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    You can declare whatever group definition of "equal" you want (case in point: Valanciunas and Young are peers, but not Valanciunas and an NBAer had they played each other), so it's kind of moot arguing with you, but no, I do not consider them to be on the same level when one player was drafted in the lottery, and the other, who knows where he's going to end up. The point, anyway, is that criticism coming from someone who actually did well is a lot more valuable than that of someone who was an afterthought.

    And you need more reading comprehension. I did say "if Dwight Howard criticized Valanciunas after dominating him." No need to be so defensive of Young.
    Peer does not necessarily mean equal in ability, but equal in standing... and the way I used it is its common use. That is, and A student and an F student are both peers because they are in the same class. The fact that one is a better student does not make a difference. Its not really complicated or abstract.

    My reading comprehension is fine... I still don't see how Dwight has more credibility than anyone else regardless of what happens... especially when he (much like young) is neither a scout or releases scouting reports. Does him playing worse, the same or better than anyone change his ability to judge talent? Can one only judge talent if they play superior to someone else? Your statement about Jordan would infer otherwise.

  18. #38
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    1,570
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Rilu wrote: View Post
    It is true that some whistles have been blown in our favor, though Young's effort to stand against Jonas was laughable. I agree that his statement was ridiculous. Like Jonas said in an interview, our team might have gone a bit cocky after the victory against us, but the cold shower against Croata should fix that. Btw, they are doing good against Korea already. It's a shame latvians do not stream those games anywhere, we in Lithuania think that's foolish.
    Welcome Lithuania!

  19. #39
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,176
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    Peer does not necessarily mean equal in ability, but equal in standing... and the way I used it is its common use. That is, and A student and an F student are both peers because they are in the same class. The fact that one is a better student does not make a difference. Its not really complicated or abstract.

    My reading comprehension is fine... I still don't see how Dwight has more credibility than anyone else regardless of what happens... especially when he (much like young) is neither a scout or releases scouting reports. Does him playing worse, the same or better than anyone change his ability to judge talent? Can one only judge talent if they play superior to someone else? Your statement about Jordan would infer otherwise.
    Like I said, it's going to be open to interpretation, and I'm okay with your designation of his peers. I thank you for explaining the factors YOU consider when determining "peer" and "standing", but it should be obvious that both are subjective, much less "common use". The very fact that you singled out "standing" over ability or qualifications (i.e. drafted or employed by an NBA team) should suggest as much.

    I find it amusing you take issue with what I said, especially considering what I said about Michael Jordan (which you acknowledge). Yes, barring actual GM/coach/scout experience and ability, I would still prefer someone who has actually done something in the NBA over someone who has yet to prove anything in the NCAA. That doesn't mean an NBA player has anywhere near the same credibility as a proven scout, but if Dwight destroys NBA post players on a daily basis, I'd take his word over Young's until shown otherwise.

    I'm not really sure what your issue with my statement is though. It seems you're trying to convince me that Dwight's opinion is just as useless as Young's, yet you said:

    man people are getting pretty defensive when one of his peers criticizes him.....

    .... scouts know all, fans know all, his peers know nothing (although I bet if he complimented him the same people would be mentioning, "hey look at what his opponent said about him")
    Sounds to me like you're saying we're belittling Young's opinion for some kind of validation, when most everyone else (including me) is saying his opinion is worthless because he's not a GM/coach/scout. What is your point, exactly? That Young's opinion means something, and just as much as Dwight's?

    Also, you lost your bet in that last paragraph, so pay up.
    Last edited by Quixotic; Sat Jul 2nd, 2011 at 04:36 AM.

  20. #40
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Quixotic wrote: View Post
    Like I said, it's going to be open to interpretation, and I'm okay with your designation of his peers. I thank you for explaining the factors YOU consider when determining "peer" and "standing", but it should be obvious that both are subjective, much less "common use". The very fact that you singled out "standing" over ability or qualifications (i.e. drafted or employed by an NBA team) should suggest as much.

    I find it amusing you take issue with what I said, especially considering what I said about Michael Jordan (which you acknowledge). Yes, barring actual GM/coach/scout experience and ability, I would still prefer someone who has actually done something in the NBA over someone who has yet to prove anything in the NCAA. That doesn't mean an NBA player has anywhere near the same credibility as a proven scout, but if Dwight destroys NBA post players on a daily basis, I'd take his word over Young's until shown otherwise.

    I'm not really sure what your issue with my statement is though. It seems you're trying to convince me that Dwight's opinion is just as useless as Young's, yet you said:



    Sounds to me like you're saying we're belittling Young's opinion for some kind of validation, when most everyone else (including me) is saying his opinion is worthless because he's not a GM/coach/scout. What is your point, exactly? That Young's opinion means something, and just as much as Dwight's?

    Also, you lost your bet in that last paragraph, so pay up.
    You lost me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •