Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Patric Young on Jonas Valanciunas: "I know for a fact he is not a lottery pick"

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This sort of reminds me of Brandon Jennings saying that Rubio was "overated", yet thus far we see that Jennings is the overated one with huge holes in his game.

If Young does come out in 2012 in a very loaded draft as a 6'9 big man, he is in danger himself not being a top 14 lottery pick.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    This sort of reminds me of Brandon Jennings saying that Rubio was "overated", yet thus far we see that Jennings is the overated one with huge holes in his game.

If Young does come out in 2012 in a very loaded draft as a 6'9 big man, he is in danger himself not being a top 14 lottery pick.
    Huh? Look at Jennings stats -- a player who was drafted mid first round and is a middle of the road starting point guard in the NBA. Now look at Rubio's stats in the Euroleague, a high draft pick who has declined in the past 2 to 3 years. Jennings is EXACTLY where people thought he'd be -- he's an okay starting PG. Rubio is a bench warmer in a respected (but lesser league).
    Last I checked that is the definition of overrated.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default After 3 days of U19WC - Advanced statistics

Link

Jonas leads the tournament with an EFF of 34.2

Young is 26th with an EFF of 16.5

Interesting side note:
    Jonas = 19.2 years old
    Young = 19.4 year old

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Huh? Look at Jennings stats -- a player who was drafted mid first round and is a middle of the road starting point guard in the NBA. Now look at Rubio's stats in the Euroleague, a high draft pick who has declined in the past 2 to 3 years. Jennings is EXACTLY where people thought he'd be -- he's an okay starting PG. Rubio is a bench warmer in a respected (but lesser league).
    Last I checked that is the definition of overrated.
    There is not much to debate or disagree with here until Rubio actually plays in the NBA. However a couple of points of clarification:

1) Jennings was drafted 10 - I would not call that mid first round.

2) To get a better comparison, apples to apples if you will, it might be worth noting Brandon Jennings Euro stats in his one year there. He hardly 'lit it up' and was 19 at the time. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...gs-1114/stats/

Rubio stats are here: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...io-1155/stats/

3) The European game is different than the NBA and as it suit Jennings better than Europe, it may do the same for Rubio (It may not as well).

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There is not much to debate or disagree with here until Rubio actually plays in the NBA. However a couple of points of clarification:

2) To get a better comparison, apples to apples if you will, it might be worth noting Brandon Jennings Euro stats in his one year there. He hardly 'lit it up' and was 19 at the time. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...gs-1114/stats/

3) The European game is different than the NBA and as it suit Jennings better than Europe, it may do the same for Rubio (It may not as well).
    Just goes to show how useless stats are and why its so annoying trying to scout good european players from inside your basement...

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since when does the opinion of a 19 year old matter when evaluating talent?

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

There will be a rematch, so his play can do the talking.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    There will be a rematch, so his play can do the talking.
    Will he pull a David Haye?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I never said Jennings "lit up" the Euroleague. Last I checked I called him mid-tier. The middle of the draft to me is picks # 10-20. Pick 10 is lottery but it's hardly a spot you expect to draft a star. If you feel mid draft is only pick 15 fine, I won't dispute it.

However, if you read what I said instead of poorly debating it you would see that my point is that Jennings is a mid tier starter in the league -- which was expected from where he was drafted. Rubio has not lived up to his high draft status. By these simple facts -- these are facts -- one was correctly rated and one was overrated. This is the truth as it stands now. Can things change? Will Rubio improve? Who knows? I don't, neither do you.

The term overrated literally means that someone is rated higher than they deserve. Jennings said Rubio was overrated. The way things have worked out he was correct.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    I never said Jennings "lit up" the Euroleague. Last I checked I called him mid-tier. The middle of the draft to me is picks # 10-20. Pick 10 is lottery but it's hardly a spot you expect to draft a star. If you feel mid draft is only pick 15 fine, I won't dispute it.

However, if you read what I said instead of poorly debating it you would see that my point is that Jennings is a mid tier starter in the league -- which was expected from where he was drafted. Rubio has not lived up to his high draft status. By these simple facts -- these are facts -- one was correctly rated and one was overrated. This is the truth as it stands now. Can things change? Will Rubio improve? Who knows? I don't, neither do you.

The term overrated literally means that someone is rated higher than they deserve. Jennings said Rubio was overrated. The way things have worked out he was correct.
    I think we are on the same page. My original post was not meant to be offensive as you seem to have taken it - apologies for that.

I don't think 10 is mid first round. You gave your idea of a mid first round pick - it is hard to argue with someone's opinion so that is fine.

I did not mean to imply you said Jennings 'lit it up' - I put it quotes around as more of an emphasis on a saying as he played only 12 minutes per game yet still was drafted at 10 and has became a legit starter almost immediately.

Your facts are opinions, I have to disagree on that. Rubio has not lived up to his high draft status because he has not played in the NBA. Europe and the NBA are different games and, as Jennings showed, stats in one do not translate to the other.

What will Rubio do in the NBA? That is something we both can agree on (I think) - I don't know nor do you.

The reply was not meant to "poorly debate" it was to highlight 10 is not a mid first round pick (in my opinion, not your's - fair enough) and to show stats in Europe do not translate to the NBA as Jennings showed. Also do not forget this is what I started with:

There is not much to debate or disagree with here until Rubio actually plays in the NBA.
    Until this happens it is not fact, it is opinions.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Patrick Young says JV is a great player... what is it really Patrick???

Patrick Young said last week JV's not deserving of being a lottery pick. Today he says concerning JV, "I really respect Jonas. His game is great. It’s really tough to defend him in the post. He’s a great player… we’re both really physical players…"

http://raptorsrepublicnews.posterous...sa05-july-2011

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

http://latvia2011.fiba.com//pages/en...5194/game.html

30 points 15 boards and 4 blocks, just another day at the office for JV!

That cockhead Young had 15 and 7, but got some hoops when it really mattered today I guess. He looks a bit like D12 size wise, he's likely gonna be pretty dominant in the NBA someday.

There's actually some decent highlight on the link I posted next to the boxscore.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Word is big Val went apeshit in the lockerroom after the loss, punching walls and whatnot. Seriously upset.

All despite dropping some pretty baller numbers on the superior team. Glad he's on my side.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Word is big Val went apeshit in the lockerroom after the loss, punching walls and whatnot. Seriously upset.

All despite dropping some pretty baller numbers on the superior team. Glad he's on my side.
    He's going to love playing with White Swan.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote WhatWhat wrote: View Post
    He's going to love playing with White Swan.
    ya hopefully that wall will be bargnani after a loss. hahaa

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mack North wrote: View Post
    That cockhead Young had 15 and 7, but got some hoops when it really mattered today I guess. He looks a bit like D12 size wise, he's likely gonna be pretty dominant in the NBA someday.
    He's not as tall as Dwight Howard, but i totally agree with you. Body-wise he looks very much NBA ready. I don't know anything about his skills, but I guess he'll be able to get good minutes from day one just by throwing his body around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    He's not as tall as Dwight Howard, but i totally agree with you. Body-wise he looks very much NBA ready. I don't know anything about his skills, but I guess he'll be able to get good minutes from day one just by throwing his body around.
    He looks to be a Daniel Orton in the making. He is being touted as lottery but in freshman year played 17.8 minutes and averaged 3.4 pts and 3.8 rebs. I know a Lithuanian who played versus men and did much better but yet is not considered an NBA lottery pick by Young. The only saving grace would be Young does not consider himself a lottery pick either.

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He looks to be a Daniel Orton in the making. He is being touted as lottery but in freshman year played 17.8 minutes and averaged 3.4 pts and 3.8 rebs. I know a Lithuanian who played versus men and did much better but yet is not considered an NBA lottery pick by Young. The only saving grace would be Young does not consider himself a lottery pick either.
    That would go well during the interviews, ahaha

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...eir-only-hope/

Jonas fever is sweeping Raptors fandom.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information