Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change coming to Raptors front office (Maurizio Gherardini and Jim Kelly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change coming to Raptors front office (Maurizio Gherardini and Jim Kelly)

There are changes coming to the Raptors front office, even if some familiar names will remain.

Maurizio Gherardini, currently the team’s senior vice-president of basketball operations, and Jim Kelly, the team’s senior director of scouting, have had their contracts extended through the 2011-12 season.

But their duties could very well change.

President and general manager Bryan Colangelo has expressed the desire to restructure the team’s hierarchy and the job descriptions of Gherardini and Kelly are expected to change — perhaps dramatically — when Colangelo finishes his housecleaning.

The president has said he wants to bring in a new face to the front office in some senior capacity, perhaps with the title of general manager, and that search continues.

What it will mean for Gherardini, who joined the team in 2006 after an illustrious career as a European basketball executive, and Kelly, who has been with the franchise in some capacity since 1994, will likely not be determined until after any new hire is made.

Gherardini, however, is likely to remain as the managing director of Canada Basketball, regardless of any change in his Raptors status.

The well-respected 55-year-old has helped re-establish Canada as a significant country in global basketball through an array of contacts that have helped the organization get significant exhibition games and some players land jobs in Europe.

Kelly has served in a variety of capacities since joining the franchise the year before it began playing. The native of Southern California was one of the first hires of then-president Isiah Thomas and has served as a talent evaluator ever since.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...ice-faces?bn=1

Maybe MLSE can just pay for Kelly's round the world trips this time, instead of him using them as a guise for scouting players. Last time he wanted to see Australia we got stuck with Jawai. He wasn't even marginally ready for this league.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Fri Jul 1, 2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

why is BC surrounding himself with all this ppl that has hardons towards euro players, these r the same ppl that convinced him to draft bargs over aldridge, bunch of dumbasses!

Comment

G-locity wrote: View Post
        why is BC surrounding himself with all this ppl that has hardons towards euro players, these r the same ppl that convinced him to draft bargs over aldridge, bunch of dumbasses!
        dont go there dude...
        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
          dont go there dude...
          i'll go wherever i want internet tuff guy!!

Comment

G-locity wrote: View Post
            i'll go wherever i want internet tuff guy!!
            Im not trying to be a 'tuff guy'. I'm just really sick of your blatant racism, and it really does not belong on these forums..
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
              Im not trying to be a 'tuff guy'. I'm just really sick of your blatant racism, and it really does not belong on these forums..
              lol!!! gotta stop them crack jack!!!

Comment

Gheradini has done a lot for Basketball Canada. For all his faults I can't hate on that. Kelly on the other hand...he's the main assessor of talent we have... his list of misses is brutal. He's needed to retire for some time. As selfish as it sounds, I would have never let Masai go. I would have promoted him to GM. I think all this shuffling is cosmetic and too late. BC had the right guy here and now talk of bringing in a GM to handle the President role is lip service.

Comment

Working...
                X