Weems Signing Overseas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weems Signing Overseas

Weems Signing Overseas: Sonny Weems has decided to take advantage of his overseas eligibility and is on the verge of signing a one-year contract with a team in Europe, according sources close to the situation.

The Toronto Raptors extended a qualifying offer to Weems last Monday, which would have made him a restricted free agent. However, Weems felt that signing overseas was the best option for him so that he could continue playing and developing his game during this work stoppage.

Weems' deal will not have an NBA-out, which means he'll remain overseas even if a new collective bargaining agreement is ratified.

While other free agents have signed with international teams in recent weeks, Weems is one of the most notable players to ink a deal overseas.
    Source: Hoopsworld
    http://twitter.com/Liston

Good for him. Might as well make some money.

Good for the Raps too, because with DD, Bayless and Barbosa on the roster he was clearly the odd man out.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Comment

We still retain his rights so once his contract expires we can give him a new contract

Comment

I fail to see how he's the odd man out when he's been used primarily as the SF.
        It's about money

Comment

philwill wrote: View Post
          I fail to see how he's the odd man out when he's been used primarily as the SF.
          James Johnson. Linas Kleiza. The new logjam at PF means Kleiza will never be playing the four, which shifts him entirely to the three. I can see Sonny being the odd-man out, Barbosa's got the backup SG all sewn up too.

Comment

No more chucky!
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

all the best to him.

Comment

Good for him. He needs the dough and didnt have much of a role here going forward. Who knows, maybe hell get his confidence back after getting more run. If so, we can sign him again .. if not, no real loss either way ...

Comment

Hell be a defensive stopper over there. Sonny "Lockdown" Weems.

Comment

not another franchise player gone to another team. =*(

Comment

Smart move imo. Sonny will get a steady paycheque through an uncertain labour situation. I always enjoyed watching him finish on the fast break. With the Raptors bringing in Kleiza, Wright, and J. Johnson in close succession, it had a negative effect on his confidence.
                      Last edited by stretch; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I figured I would translate the most commonly heard words during shoot around in the Eurolegue:

"Jesus, is that Sonny Weems?"
                        -----------------------------------
                        "Jesús, es que Sonny Weems?"
                        "Ο Ιησούς, είναι ότι Σόνι Weems?"
                        "Gesù, è che Sonny Weems?"
                        "Jésus, c'est que Sonny Weems?"
                        "Jėzus yra tai, kad Sonny Weems?"
                        "Иисус, является то, что Сонни Уимс?"
                        "Isus, da je Sonny Weems?"
                        "Исус, да Сони Веемс?"

Comment

i think its a good thing, he'll probably have a bigger role on a team there and get more minutes. He'll develop his game and come back to the raptors hopefully a better player.

OR

He'll come back and just bomb

Comment

The kidding aside, he may become a more complete player over there, it was good for Anthony Parker.

Comment

Look at what playing in Europe did for Anthony Parkers game.
                              His first 3 years, he was inconsistent, unreliable and couldn't shoot.

When he came back he was our most consistent, most reliable and best shooting player on the team.

ADD MMLM beat me by a minute! haha

Comment

Working...
                              X