Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Weems Signing Overseas

Raptors Republic Rookie KingRaptors's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

"Chuck" Weems taking his talents to Europe, I have a feeling he'll be back in the NBA in 1 year.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

So long Sonny, hope you improve your game over there and come back a better player for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote KingRaptors wrote: View Post
    "Chuck" Weems taking his talents to Europe, I have a feeling he'll be back in the NBA in 1 year.
    The article says he has full intentions of returning after a year.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

When he comes back, does he come to us? Do we have his rights or whatever? Or is he a straight up FA?
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

These dudes rarely come back better, btw. Just ask Childress and Pargo.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    When he comes back, does he come to us? Do we have his rights or whatever? Or is he a straight up FA?
    Because we made the qualifying offer on him, we maintain his rights as a restricted free agent when he decides to come back.
    I believe.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

So he plays in europe, probably gets better, we free up a roster spot and a little bit of money for a year
    He returns next year when he is better and Barbosa is gone?
    plus he get practice even if there is a lockout?

Seems like a good strategy

Post Thanks / Like

Too many "whens" and not enough "ifs"
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Rookie Tortacular's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm gonna guess he's played his last game as a Raptor. Casey isn't gonna tolerate a gunner who can't shoot a good percentage, or defend, or do anything else of value.
    You can find me on Twitter.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tortacular wrote: View Post
    I'm gonna guess he's played his last game as a Raptor. Casey isn't gonna tolerate a gunner who can't shoot a good percentage, or defend, or do anything else of value.
    You realize that Bargnani is still on the Raptors right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    You realize that Bargnani is still on the Raptors right?
    hahaha

I'm sure Casey and Bargnani will get along juuust fine ....
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    These dudes rarely come back better, btw. Just ask Childress and Pargo.
    +1.

I think this has much more to do with Sonny Weems making 890k before taxes last season and probably being broke than it does with him having some burning desire to improve his game.

The guy didn't play particularly hard for us last season when he had a few million dollars and a couple years of guaranteed work on the line, so why are we expecting him to work his butt off overseas when he'll probably be one of the bigger "names" on the team (and the highest paid). I'm expecting him to flop in Europe if I'm being honest.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know which team he's going to play for in Europe? Does Sonny know?
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

AlexKennedyNBA Sonny Weems is close to signing a one-year deal with the Lithuanian team Zalgiris. The contract should be finalized later this week.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/#ixzz1RFxwjUtz
    First time I've heard a team mentioned.

Hopefully he doesn't have the same fate as a soon to be teammate of his:

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Lithuanian press confirming that Weems is close to signing with Zalgiris. This looks good, Zalgiris is a decent team (the best in Lithuania at this moment), will have a good chance next year in Euroleague. 5 lithuanian national team players currently play here, while another 2-3 possible candidates are playing/might be playing next year.

And Zalgiris with LR being deadly rivals could promise a possibly interesting JV vs Weems.
    Last edited by Rilu; Tue Jul 5th, 2011 at 05:07 PM.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

From HoopsWorld.com:

Weems Signing in Lithuania: Rather than becoming a restricted free agent once a new collective bargaining agreement is ratified, Sonny Weems is taking his talents to Lithuania.

The former Toronto Raptors swingman is close to finalizing a contract with the Lithuanian club Zalgirius Kaunas, and a deal is expected to be completed by the end of this week.

The Raptors had extended a qualifying offer to Weems prior to the lockout, which would have made him a restricted free agent. Weems' camp felt that this would be a lengthy lockout that could potentially cancel the 2011-12 season.

Weems is looking forward to continuing his development overseas and hopes to improve his all-around game. He wants to become a more polished half court player and handle a larger role with Zalgirius. Hall of Famer Arvydas Sabonis is the team's president and NBA players such as Kenny Anderson and Loren Woods have also had stints with the club.

His deal does not include an NBA-out, which means that he won't be able to return to the NBA if the lockout comes to an end this year. With that said, Weems plans to return the NBA next season.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1RGvruD1c

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Man I bet Sonny is gonna try so hard to dunk on JV when they play against each other... Well with Sabonis there, along with a bunch of Lithanian NT players on the team, maybe they'll have a good influence on Sonny's work ethic. We can only hope Sonny works on his shooting range and defensive effort. If it happens (IF), I wouldn't be against resigning him for the right price once he comes back, him and Demar being good friends, and we should probably try and keep Demar happy.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.thestar.com/article/10201...ill-their-time

He will receive the Euro-standard benefit of the use of a gratis apartment and automobile. And though the team and Weems are still putting the finishing touches on the deal, sources say it’s expected Weems will be paid an after-tax net salary approaching 1 million euros, or about $1.4 million (U.S.).

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i think weems can only improve by playing in lithuania with one of the best teams in their league. I feel like a lot of raptor fans are going to find a way to watch the lithuanian league now !!

Thread Information