Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious, how will the draft work next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious, how will the draft work next year?

Just wondering: in case we don't have a season, how will the ORDER of the draft be done for next year? Who gets to be lottery teams?

It depends on who sends the most gift baskets to STERN. Maybe a union reps ring finger, or something should secure the first over all.

LOL. I believe they take 3 consecutive seasons and determine worst placements overall or something along those lines. They don't just repeat the order again. Throw in a little randomization and viola.

Comment

The NHL carried it out thusly...
      All 30 teams get lottery balls, however, the actual 'Lottery' teams are given more.
      And orders are determined through averaging the previous 3 seasons records.
      I think.

Comment

I think they should use a dart board. The GM that gets the closest to the bull's eye picks first. I hope BC has a good eye and a steady hand.
        Last edited by stretch; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
          Just wondering: in case we don't have a season, how will the ORDER of the draft be done for next year? Who gets to be lottery teams?
          although its a good question
          that's the least of the worries
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I mentioned this in another thread, but the NHL system was not actually averaging wins or points: every team started with three lottery balls, and then lost one for each playoff appearance in the previous three years, and one for each first-overall pick in the previous three years, to a minimum of one.

In the case of the NHL, it was one of the last things to be agreed upon in CBA negotiations; I'd expect that similarly in the NBA, it's a detail that won't be decided on until everything else with the new CBA has been ironed out.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
              although its a good question
              that's the least of the worries
              How is that the least of our worries? that's all this team was going to play for if there was any season.

Comment

Through a complicated game of red rover
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Toronto Raptors get first pick because they are a Canadian Team, after that they take the remainder 29 teams and the rest of the picks are done alphabetically....

I wish lol I'm pretty sure they take the records of the last 3 seasons and average it out

Comment

Stern will find a way to screw us again no matter what you can bet on that.

I will be surprised if the Raptors would be allowed to pick in the top 7.

Comment

When has Stern ever screwed us?

And how do you figure we wouldn't pick in the Top 7?

Comment

It's the old draft lottery conspiracy theory at work again. You know Ewing went to New York, Lebron stayed in Ohio at first, Rose went to Chicago, Dwight went to Orlando to make up for Shaq leaving, Blake goes to LA, and under no circumstances are David Kahn and the Twolves allowed the no. 1 pick. We got Bargs because it was a bad draft that year.

Comment

Yes very true... the issue of how the lottery will work out next year if there is no season should be priority number one for the Raptors.

Comment

no matter what raps should be looking at a top10 pick. With the depth of next years class, I couldnt care less which of the top 10 we get. Myck Kabongo is on my radar
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

From David Aldridge at NBA.com

Nobody Asked Me, But ...

What's up with the Draft next year if we have a year-long lockout?

A lot of people would like to know -- first and foremost, the teams. The 2012 Draft promises to be a spectacular one, with the kind of potential superstars available that were lacking this year. Several prominent college players that would have gone in the top five this year pulled out, and their status for next year is likely to be the same, along with several collegiate big men who will be attractive to teams that didn't take a flier on one of the European bigs this year. And there will also be a crop of incoming college freshmen who could be top-10 or Lottery picks.

All of that, though, is on hold until there's a new CBA.

A league spokesman said via e-mail Friday, "... all our efforts are focused on reaching an agreement and I am not going to speculate on any possible impact on the 2012 NBA Draft."

There is precedent for a league holding a Draft following the cancellation of the preceding season.

The NHL used a weighted Lottery in its 2005 Draft, which followed the loss of the entire 2004-05 season due to owner lockout. On July 22, 2005, the league had a "Draft Drawing" in Ottawa. Teams that had missed the playoffs in the previous three completed seasons -- 2001-02, '02-'03 and '03-'04 -- and who hadn't won the first overall pick from 2001-04 were each given three out of the 48 total balls in the Lottery drawing. Four teams received three balls and had a 6.3 percent chance of getting the first pick overall.

Ten teams that had either made the playoffs from 2001-02 through 2003-04 or won the first pick in those years received two out of the 48 balls, good for a 4.2 percent chance of the number one choice. The remaining 16 teams that had met more than one of the criteria received one ball apiece, or a 2.1 percent chance. In the end, the Pittsburgh Penguins -- one of the four teams with three balls -- won the first pick and selected Sidney Crosby.
                              After the first pick was awarded, the next ball that came from among the 29 remaining teams received the second overall pick. The process continued that way until each of the 30 first-round picks was assigned. Subsequent rounds went in the opposite direction; the club that picked last in the first round picked first in the second round, and so on, with the third round order repeating the first round, the fourth round repeating the second, etc.

Major League Baseball's 1995 Draft, which followed the 1994 season that was cut short by a players' strike that wound up cancelling the postseason, including the World Series, went in inverse order of regular season record when the strike began on August 12. The first pick alternated between the National and American Leagues, based on the reverse order of their Draft position the previous season. Since the Mets had picked first in the 1994 Draft, the (then-) California Angels got the first pick in 1995 and took outfielder Darin Erstad.

If a worst-case scenario takes place this year in the NBA and the whole 2011-12 season is cancelled, the vote here would be for a simple inverse order Draft like MLB's in '95. That means 17-65 Minnesota would get the first pick, 19-63 Cleveland the second pick, and so on. But the Clippers own the Wolves' unprotected first next year. To be fair, that arrangement, as well as any other unprotected firsts, should be honored, with all protected picks carrying over to future years, since there would be no regular season records on which to base their protections.

That would mean, in this scenario, a 2012 Draft following a cancelled 2011-12 regular season would go as follows:
                              1. L.A. Clippers (unprotected from Minnesota)
                              2. Cleveland*
                              3. Toronto
                              4. Washington
                              5. Sacramento/New Jersey (coin flip)
                              6. Sacramento/New Jersey (coin flip)
                              7. Detroit
                              8. L.A. Clippers
                              9. Charlotte
                              10. Milwaukee
                              11. Golden State
                              12. Utah
                              13. Phoenix
                              14. Houston
                              15. Indiana
                              16. Philadelphia
                              17. New York
                              18. Atlanta
                              19. Memphis/New Orleans (coin flip)
                              20. Memphis/New Orleans (coin flip)
                              21. Portland
                              22. Denver
                              23. Orlando
                              24. Oklahoma City
                              25. Boston
                              26. Dallas/L.A. Lakers (coin flip)
                              27. Dallas/L.A. Lakers (coin flip)
                              28. Miami
                              29. San Antonio
                              30. Chicago
                              * Cavaliers can swap 2012 first-rounders with Miami
                              http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

Comment

Working...
                              X