Gilbert Arenas basically said fans of rebuilding teams don't have a chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilbert Arenas basically said fans of rebuilding teams don't have a chance

For the people who don't know why the'yre lockin out... I'll explain it in real people terms. Lakers, Dallas, Miami, Knicks, Magic, Bulls, Boston, and a few others always have the best chance at the top free agents due to city and money. So the smaller cities team can't compete. So they can never get better and they're always losing money. So since they cant control each other spending money on players, they want us to do it for them by signing a new deal. It's that simple.

All the older owners have made their money and selling to new buyers, and the new buyers are getting killed in these small cities. But no matter what deal gets done, free agents are gonna go to the same cities ANYWAY. That's why the same teams stay good and the same teams stay bad. The owners with the most money will try to buy the best players.

So like the Lakers just signed a 175 million dollar TV deal. But they don't want to share that with the rest, they want US to do it. I know people are like, "You make 20 [million] and are not worth it..." TRUE. But the man who paid me thought I was too him. You're worth what someone gives you.

I haven't been to one meeting but I know when unrealistic people are trying to make a statement they're gonna do it. It's like me saying I wanna play 52 minutes-a-game every night. "Well there's only 48." WELL find me four more minutes then. If not, LOCKOUT. Lmaooooooo.

So when you hear your team say we're REBUILDING all they're saying is buy our tickets, watch us lose. The Clippers have been rebuilding for 20+ years and made one playoff series. You can be like Oklahoma City and have young talent but eventually you're gonna have to pay all those players and you can't. And then what happens? Umm the famous REBUILDING.

Lol it's a rat race they're tryin to get out of, and they need us to do it for them. ***.

I see people saying teams like Spurs and Detroit did it. Well, the Spurs had a great team that got hit buy the injury bug and got the number 1 pick and got Duncan. So from there they just built around him. The Pistons got lucky. All the free agents they got was very cheap but good players. And that's why they broke up. They were worth more then they were before.

So I don't see it ending sooner. Trust me, they're gonna sit back and let us kill ourselves like last time. So I'm gonna tell y'all the truth, but no disrespecting anybody. There's no need for all that. If you're boss wants to pay you less he has a right to try and do so. [But] even if they have pay cuts then what? Are they gonna give out free food with all the extra money they're gettng? Ummmm no. They're gonna get a new 20 million dollar scoreboards and still scream we're losing money...

Did the owners address the media?

They will never talk about it because 22 out of the 30 have no idea about basketball.
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/7/1...gilbert-arenas
    Last edited by Arsenalist; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 08:30 PM. Reason: Fixed link

technically he didnt because toronto is a big city. Only the knicks, lakers/clippers, and bulls have a bigger city.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
      technically he didnt because toronto is a big city. Only the knicks, lakers/clippers, and bulls have a bigger city.
      Houston is bigger as well.
      But ya.. agreed. haha

And regardless, the Raptors are one of the few teams that are actually making money on a consistent basis. And good money too. They're doing just fine.
      Last edited by Joey; Sat Jul 2, 2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

ffs how hard is it to distinguish between you're and your. That post gave me a headache.

Comment

First off, is this a quote? The link doesn't work and I don't know where Arenas says anything.

Secondly, I am under the impression that the league is locking out because they want the owners to have a larger share of the revenue, supposedly because they are losing money. I think your trying to explain why they are losing money in your post but I'm not absolutely sure. If you are, the argument of teams having bad business practices vs the teams not making enough money to supportable doesn't really matter. What matters is that the owners have decided their business practices are fine and that the problem is they don't get a big enough share of the pie. That is the issue with this strike/lockout.
          "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2011/7/1...gilbert-arenas
            this one should work

Comment

I kinda have to agree with him.... He makes logical sense... (Did I really just say that?)

Comment

Arenas was talking about one of the real positives for fans IF the owners get everything they want. No team will be able to outspend other teams and so one of the largest advantages that perennial playoffs clubs like the Lakers, Celtics and Mavericks have will have vanished. The only way teams like the Raptors can ever hope to have a legit shot at winning is if teams are spending on even ground. Then it will all come down to management. Sure, players will still have their preferences but S&T's will be gone and as such it won't be as easy for capped out talent loaded teams to add even more talent. The luxury tax threshold will no longer be the divide between the Haves and Have Nots.

Comment

I think Gil is absolutely right and I also think it's good for the league that the big market teams win consistently. It hasn't been bad for baseball that the Yankees almost always have a dynastic team in place. Quite the opposite. As well as the NHL is doing right now, it would be a lot better if the Leefs had a good owner because the GTA is swimming in ca$h. The Leefs would be to the NHL what Tiger Woods was/is to golf. The prize money goes up for everybody. I don't believe in the religion of "parity", which I think results in a situation similar to Kurt Vonnegut's story "Harrison Bergeron", where every team is mediocre.

The Raptors are well capable of being in that elite group of teams that can perennially win. The problem, as Arenas correctly noted, is the owner. The Leefs could carry a Steinbrenner-like payroll and so could the Raptors.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Houston is bigger as well.
                    But ya.. agreed. haha

And regardless, the Raptors are one of the few teams that are actually making money on a consistent basis. And good money too. They're doing just fine.
                    The city of Toronto is about 20% larger than Houston is.

Comment

You know I don't care what his mother says...I think Gilbert Arenas is a nice guy.

Comment

This post should be renamed. It's not about the Raptors at all...

Comment

Brain Colangelo wrote: View Post
                          This post should be renamed. It's not about the Raptors at all...
                          totally agree, very misleading title. this should be in everything NBA.

But the big name players dont wanna cooperate with the debate im sure a TON of Mid level players will have no problem taking a cut because they want to play. its the star players that have made their millions already and dont care about another season. the players this is really hurting are the young players that want to develope and the old players that cant waste a year. The owners made a pitch to the players that doesnt allow the owners to make a profit for the next 8 years. so it does seem like the owners are trying hard to please the players. in 8 years most of the players wont even be in this league so it really doesnt effect them. the players need to realize that they are on the bottom of the food chain and not the top. they are the labor workers. the players play for the owners and not the other way around. all this same stuff was being said when the NHL locked out too and 1 year later the owneers got what they wanted HARDCAP and all.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                            The city of Toronto is about 20% larger than Houston is.
                            Not the overall Metropolitan Area Population (5.96M vs. 5.11M).
                            And thats what determines Market size. Generally.

Comment

dballa21 wrote: View Post
                              Gilbert is the first crack. Rants like that live in infamy. There is some truth to what he is saying but when you are in a stalemate and you rip your opponent verbally it is unwise.
                              "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

Working...
                              X