Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Bautista's All-Star Success Proved Bosh's US Exposure Claims to be false?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agrippa wrote: View Post
    He would have got more exposure than Bosh did purely because he is better, and the team would have won more games. However, San Antonio gets more coverage because they are always good, and they've become the cliche well run small market team(Thunder encroaching on them). With those likeable high character guys that Apollo talked about. But Duncan is a two time MVP and who knows what would have went down had a guy like him played for the Raptors. So maybe San Antonio gets more coverage off prestige alone, but they earned that. Its got nothing to do with Canada or the USA. Its a franchise to franchise distinction, and a player to player distinction.
    No arguing with that. Winning would have solved any issues Bosh had with not getting the media exposure he craved. I guess I was trying to figure out if there was some corrolation between a good guard or wing player as opposed to a good big man. Keeping in mind that they are just good and not great players like Duncan.

Comment

Who's Chris Bosh?
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        It is clear that Bosh has few hi-light moments in his game to warrant too many "letmeseethatagain" responses. It is also clear that Miami erred by not choosing Amare as their power forward f/a signing. He would also have been cheaper! In Bosh's defense how many people around him would actually tell him the truth about his game. Introspection can be difficult when you are successful. I think he is smart enough to have probably figured out by now that he was wrong about those thoughts of not enough exposure...or rather exposure unintended.
        Funny enough, I do remember reading somewhere a while ago that Amare called Bosh a Soft PF and when asked who he thought was better between himself and Bosh, he laughed and said "Me of course". So Amare was honest enough to point that out. lol

Comment

Bautista still isn't getting a lot of exposure. Toronto baseball games aren't being broadcasted by FOX - and haven't really been since Clemens was around in the mid-late 90's. Bautista hasn't getting any endorsement deals, at least not to my knowledge. You know what gets media exposure? Winning. And on a consistent basis.

When Bosh was putting up his numbers, he was still getting his respect due in terms of making all-star teams and was in local advertisements. Aside from the Jays own promo stuff, I haven't seen any Bautista promos - whether it be television, radio or print ads.
          Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Jul 5, 2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
            Who's Chris Bosh?
            some Criss Angel groupie

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              Bautista still isn't getting a lot of exposure. Toronto baseball games aren't being broadcasted by FOX - and haven't really been since Clemens was around in the mid-late 90's. Bautista hasn't getting any endorsement deals, at least not to my knowledge. You know what gets media exposure? Winning. And on a consistent basis.

When Bosh was putting up his numbers, he was still getting his respect due in terms of making all-star teams and was in local advertisements. Aside from the Jays own promo stuff, I haven't seen any Bautista promos - whether it be television, radio or print ads.
              But thats up the Player whether they want to do 'Promos' or not. I wouldn't say that is the indication whether a player is respected and acknowledged by the Media as a great player. VERY few athletes get Lucrative Shoe contracts, or Deals of the Sort. If Jose keeps it up for this season and into next, I'd fully expect those to come to him. But because he is relatively new to the 'Big Name' world of Baseball, he is still fairly low on the pecking order. He's been a Super Star for ONE season. He needs to prove to be consistent.

But the fact that 8 Million fans voted for him, IS an indication that his name is out there, and is getting the kind of publicity that it takes to draw that many fans. The fact that he ISN'T sponsored by Coke and Nike and Jordan, and yet is able to Set Voting records, is almost MORE proof that his recognition goes beyond traditional borders, and traditional Avenues of "exposure".

And being played on FOX is not, in my opinion, an indicator of whether you've made it or not. While Vince was here, the Raptors MAYBE got 2 games of National Coverage a Year. MAYBE.

American TV stations will NEVER choose to put a Toronto team over an American team unless they KNOW it will draw a huge, National, US wide audience, because they don't get half the viewership they normally would.
              If they broadcast a New York vs. Boston game, they get the Ratings (and Ad money) from both the viewership in NY and in Boston. With Toronto, they would only get the Numbers from the American based Audience. So it doesn't make sense for them to show a Toronto team.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                But thats up the Player whether they want to do 'Promos' or not. I wouldn't say that is the indication whether a player is respected and acknowledged by the Media as a great player. VERY few athletes get Lucrative Shoe contracts, or Deals of the Sort. If Jose keeps it up for this season and into next, I'd fully expect those to come to him. But because he is relatively new to the 'Big Name' world of Baseball, he is still fairly low on the pecking order. He's been a Super Star for ONE season. He needs to prove to be consistent.

But the fact that 8 Million fans voted for him, IS an indication that his name is out there, and is getting the kind of publicity that it takes to draw that many fans. The fact that he ISN'T sponsored by Coke and Nike and Jordan, and yet is able to Set Voting records, is almost MORE proof that his recognition goes beyond traditional borders, and traditional Avenues of "exposure".

And being played on FOX is not, in my opinion, an indicator of whether you've made it or not. While Vince was here, the Raptors MAYBE got 2 games of National Coverage a Year. MAYBE.

American TV stations will NEVER choose to put a Toronto team over an American team unless they KNOW it will draw a huge, Nation audience, because they don't get half the viewership they normally would.
                If they broadcast a New York vs. Boston game, they get the Ratings (and Ad money) from both the viewership in NY and in Boston. With Toronto, they would only get the Numbers from the American based Audience. So it doesn't make sense for them to show a Toronto team.
                Sorry Joey, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

While I do agree it is up to the player on whether or not they'd follow through with a promo, I'm sure if a company approached JoeyBats, he'd totally do it. No athlete really turns down exposure via promotional items and getting paid for it. I'm not even talking just about a lucrative shoe deal, I'm talking about any type of deal. Hell, DeRozan was doing promotional ads at the beginning of last season for Ford. Ricky Romero has an ad for Nike (very obscure, I've never seen it on the tube, I had to track it down online), and he's never been an all-star. But Bautista hasn't been shown any love locally via endorsement deals.

Baseball fans are actually a smart bunch - they'll vote guys in if they are having a decent season. Toronto fans have stuffing the ballot boxes, and it hasn't been just in Toronto - but also across Canada and in latin countries as well. He's being recognized as having a good season, by making the ASG, but that's about it. Bosh put up some real stellar seasons in Toronto as well and got voted in once and other times was on the cusp of being voted in and fell just short, so it's not like fans aren't standing up and taking notice of players.

A team being televised on Fox or ESPN Sunday night baseball is something the Jays used to be a regular on when they were winning back in the early 90s (they used to be featured on Saturday afternoon baseball on NBC in the mid-late 80s as well). When Vince was here, especially his first few seasons, NBC would televise games quite regularly on Sunday. They even got a chance to play on Christmas Day on a couple of occasions. That's good exposure.

American TV stations would televise a game involving Toronto if they were winning on a consistent basis, and not like just finishing .500, I mean, if they went to the playoffs. I guarantee the year they make the playoffs, the next season, they'll have a game or two on national televison. Hell, Cincinnati, St. Louis and San Francisco all have multiple games televised on Sunday Night Baseball and all 3 metro areas combined have a smaller population than Toronto. So, really, Basutista's All-Star success hasn't proved Chris Bosh's exposure claims to be false. Once the Jays start making appearances (or AN appearance) in the playoffs, that will change.

Comment

We should have another poll..."Do Raptor fans wish Chris Bosh (w/max. contract) were still on the team"?

Comment

[QUOTE=joey_hesketh;92739]One also has to keep in mind that what Jose Bautista is doing (and managed to do last year) is a pretty hefty feat. For any athlete, let alone a second-thought player in Toronto. For Chris Bosh to garner the same kind of attention (trying to even out the comparison), would require him to lead the League in Rebounds, and do so in a VERY convincing fashion.
                    If we look at Kevin Love, he is probably the PERFECT comparison point for Bautista. He managed to garner ALOT of positive attention regardless of where he plays, how well his team is doing, or what his expectations were coming into the season.

I totally agree with this comparison - and a lot of Bosh's production was a direct result of a rebounding and scoring void on the Raps. On Miami, his rebounding dropped 20% and as did his scoring by 25% with no change in minutes, once he was surrounded by quality players/scrubs in a blowout. Greatness is being the best among the best and he falls far short of this.

Comment

Dalex wrote: View Post

I totally agree with this comparison - and a lot of Bosh's production was a direct result of a rebounding and scoring void on the Raps. On Miami, his rebounding dropped 20% and as did his scoring by 25% with no change in minutes, once he was surrounded by quality players/scrubs in a blowout. Greatness is being the best among the best and he falls far short of this.
                      Bosh still put up some good numbers despite being a 3rd option on offense and playing next to one of the better rebounding guards in the league in Wade and one of the best rebounding 3's in the league in Lebron. You knew his numbers were going to take a dip but they weren't as bad as a lot of people figured they would be.

Comment

I'm more than happy to agree to disagree with you on this one.

Only Bautista knows how he became the most feared slugger since Barry Bonds
                        -CBSSports.com
                        He just broke an All-Star Game record that had stood for 17 years. Thats not just 'recognizing a good season'.
                        Making the All Star is recognizing a good season, fine, I agree with that.
                        Getting more votes than ANYONE ELSE IN THE HISTORY OF BASEBALL, is a bit more than that.

And like I said, I believe its just your opinion to say that if "Jose isn't making Endorsement money, then he's not being Recognized".
                        There are far more indications of ones Individual drawing power, than whether or not they are making Ads for Ford or Juicy Fruit.

He is given a Standing Ovation at, more or less, EVERY away stadium they play at.
                        The fans outside of Canada and Latin America are aware of what this guy is doing.

Comment

It does not matter.

When ever a player not good enough to make it to the All-Star game or win some sort of an award in either baseball or basketball, someone in the U.S is always going to go back and raise the issue of playing in Canada.

I do recall Jim Rome asking Carlos Delgado whether he thought he was snubbed for the MVP award due to playing in Canada as a result of lack of exposure on U.S televison and Delgado said yes.

When in doubt, always blame Canada and the uneducated masses (including professional athletes) will drink the koolaid.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                            It does not matter.

When ever a player not good enough to make it to the All-Star game or win some sort of an award in either baseball or basketball, someone in the U.S is always going to go back and raise the issue of playing in Canada.

I do recall Jim Rome asking Carlos Delgado whether he thought he was snubbed for the MVP award due to playing in Canada as a result of lack of exposure on U.S televison and Delgado said yes.

When in doubt, always blame Canada and the uneducated masses (including professional athletes) will drink the koolaid.

Comment

bosh sucked so he didnt get recognized end of story , vince was a beast so he did
                              ya dun noe

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                                It does not matter.

I don't think its uneducated masses at all... I think there is truth to it. There have been no shortage of players in all sports not named hockey that have stated this.

Matt52 pointed out an important part, if it leads to winning they will get noticed. Others have noted that if someone is above and beyond everyone else, they will get noticed. But what about those players players that are good, but maybe not 'great'?

If you have 2 players that are roughly equal, on roughly equal teams, and one is in T.O and the other is in Sacramento... do people still really think the Toronto player will get more coverage? I guarantee they don't.

People need to put into perspective how little Americans care about anything not American. Why do you think that fans (and media) in America expect the Raps to be one of the first teams to fold if there is contraction in the NBA? (regardless that they are one of the profitable teams and have a top half attendance record every season)... because they just don't care or pay attention to the Raps. Media companies know this, agents know this, companies selling their brand know this.... for some reason Toronto fans just don't want to believe it.

I was reading a Piston's blog the other day and they were breaking down all the draft picks by all teams in the NBA and grading them. Except they only had 29 teams... guess who was missing.

http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2011/6...a-draft-grades

Comment

Working...
                                X