X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLSE's willingness to spend?

I just read this article:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/blogs...rticle1429806/

Is MLSE truly unwilling to spend, or go into the luxury tax? Have you guys seen this with the other franchises it owns? More than any franchise but the Lakers, Bulls and Knicks, Toronto has the market to be able to be in the luxury tax and still be profitable.

If they truly want to make a deep playoff run, then it will cost money both now and in the future. If they aren't willing to go into the luxury tax, then there is no chance of this happening. In which case, I have no hard feelings against Bosh if he leaves.

Can someone with more knowledge about MLSE's habits elaborate?

There is no reason to go past the tax threshold unless it means they're contenders. That's not the case. When they were considered "contenders"(Carter era) they were paying luxury tax. In fact at one point, correct me if I'm wrong, they had the second highest payroll in the league. Going past the tax threshold right now makes no business sense.

Comment

Agreed. Thanks for clarifying. But Michael Grange seems to be implying the exact opposite. Or maybe I misread the article.

Comment

It's now how much you spend, it's how you spend. Given Colangelo's track record of free agents/traders (JO, Kapono, Turkoglu), do you really want him going into the luxury tax? Next think you know we'll sign Zydrunas Ilgauskas to a 3yr/25mil deal.

You go into the luxury tax when you're one or maybe two pieces (usually key role players) away from seriously contending. We're nowhere close to that and don't see a need to cross the line.

Of course, I don't pay the salary and if MLSE is willing to do it without raising ticket prices or charging more for Raptors TV and won't put Raptor games on Telemundo or PPV, I'm fine with it.

Comment

Working...
        X