Workouts During Lockout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workouts During Lockout

Here’s one thing to think about with the Raptors if, as expected, this lockout drags into the late part of August.

Which player might be the guy to arrange workouts for he and his teammates?

I wonder, actually, if that guy exists?

On some teams, it’ll be the old grizzled veteran who puts together a weekend- or week-long get together for the majority of his team and the harsh truth is, the Raptors don’t have that guy.

Sure, DeRozan and maybe Sonny (who is likely leaving) and Ed Davis might get together and hang out (Amir’s coming off surgery or he’d be the fourth Mousketeer) but as for the one guy who’ll host a session for the majority of the team?

There isn’t one.

Not that it’s hugely critical to whatever happens next season but it’s a nice thing for a team to do when there’s nothing that can be arranged by the franchise and it speaks a bit to where this roster is and one of its needs.
    Source: Doug Smith's Blog

LOL, at Doug.

Sorry to break it to you, Dougie, but we don't have that kind of culture here. The guys are not going to come together on their own dime and practice so that their organization (which are on the bandwagon with the other 29 teams locking them out without pay), doesnt look out of sorts when the action starts.

We were not a winning team, there is nothing to preserve, no ones pride will be wounded. There will not be a guy that will say "Hey Joe, we should probably organize something so that we do not look so bad when things start". You can't really miss a 22 win collaboration. I can see it with teams that won 50 or so, but the raps.... lol.

I am sure they won't be loosing sleep over it... so its funny that doughnut boy is so surprised. It is this culture that he has apologizes for, for quite a while. (I have given him a few of my rants... he loves me.) Anyway, I don't waste my time with his blog anymore... I can get all I need through RR and other forums.

I also have a feeling Doug, that if the Star locked you out without pay, you and your friends will not be running down stories for the eventual time that they call you back to work.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Thu Jul 7, 2011, 04:53 PM.

Comment

I think that this is a good opportunity for us to see who among the team is really willing to work hard and be the best player that they can, as soon as work starts, we'll see who comes to camp with the best mindset, condition etc... Hopefully Ed's been adding up some bulk in him, Demar working on his jumpshot.. The list goes on to all the players. Lockout is not an excuse to chillout and get out of shape, especially to a player who's got things to prove or a chip on his shoulder (like what demar said). The raps dont have that player who would setup workouts like this but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the individual player, even if we do have someone like that, if a certain player is not interested in participating in such workouts then there's really nothing anyone can do about it.There's a lot of ways to improve your game even if you do it privately but a group workout is not a bad thing eigther.
      Last edited by G-locity; Thu Jul 7, 2011, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I think Jose is our "grizzled veteran" that would do that. Whether anyone would show up, though...

Comment

I don't know...Is this something that a lot of teams are going to be doing? I think prob not. Everyone has their home town and you would like to hope they're gonna stick to their work out routine. I know Demar is training everyday just from twitter but that's about it. I don't see Jose flying in from Spain to lead an aerobics class.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Exactly.

Players are best of preparing themselves in their own personal environment. Rather than living out of hotel rooms so that they can show some team unity.

You would hope, at least, that it would not be necessary to see your teammates, in order to be motivated to work on your game. if they come together, I hope it is to create a new team or league that will play against similar competition. However, this can't just start with one guy, or maybe Doug has a point.

If there are these quasi summer teams, maybe it will take one of the leaders amongst our guys to set up some games with the squad against other squads. ...but I was under the impression the PU was working on that.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
              I don't know...Is this something that a lot of teams are going to be doing? I think prob not. Everyone has their home town and you would like to hope they're gonna stick to their work out routine. I know Demar is training everyday just from twitter but that's about it. I don't see Jose flying in from Spain to lead an aerobics class.
              In the NFL they're doing it. Teams who want to get a leg up on the competition should be doing this from time to time. Most guy's off-season workout routines don't typically last through to potentially February. I tell you who should be calling a team workout, Bayless. If he wants to take the next step and snatch the starting job in the process he needs to step up. This is a prime opportunity. Even if he only gets the NA guys in, it would benefit him and them greatly.

Comment

I don't know if they'll get together as a full team but I definately think they'll get together in groups to run some stuff. Demar, Joey D, Amir (once healed), Ed Davis, Reggie, even Julian Wright alll seemed pretty tight so I wouldn't be surprised if they got together for some light scrimmaging and drills. I'm hoping that the whole team can find some time to get together for a weekend or something but it seems unlikely.
                "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

Hey man I'm all for it and I agree with you. Just don't see it happening. Raps don't NEED ad veteran to lead them on. I guess Reggie could do it but he's a FA and loves candy.

This lockout could be long. Hopefully the young core can get together at some point and the international flavah can stay at home and rep their country playing some FIBA or something to that effect.
                  Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

As Marz indicated my choice would be Gatorade Jose. Some of these guys who probably drop 10k in a card game while flying from one game to another should really have no problem flying to Barcelona for a week, seeing the sights and practicing some zone and "flex P 'n Rs ala Casey (he can use an anonymous Yahoo id to email some diagrams to Jose). My bet is Jose would arrange this in a flash....or maybe Doug S. could.

Comment

workouts are easy to do but casey hasn't put together a play book so that part will be hard to practice.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
                        This lockout could be long. Hopefully the young core can get together at some point and the international flavah can stay at home and rep their country playing some FIBA or something to that effect.
                        Yes, let's get the Canadian core together!

Comment

There are definitely a few guys on the team that are going to show improvement from last year. Now whether it's due to them getting together as a group is another thing altogether. As a few have already mentioned, the YGZ will likely be the group that sticks together over the summer. Let's just pray Bargs is hanging out with James Johnson learning some kickboxing and aggression along with it.

Comment

I don't understand this blog. It's not like the lockout suddenly fell upon us; so in all likelyhood there have been extensive talks between players and the team to prepare the players for the lockout.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              I don't understand this blog. It's not like the lockout suddenly fell upon us; so in all likelyhood there have been extensive talks between players and the team to prepare the players for the lockout.
                              EXACTLY! any one that doesnt think this was all prepared for months now or even years are very wrong. this lockout has been talked about for a long time now. none of this is even a concern at this point. and i doubt any of the players get together for these group workouts until probably september. i have the same feeling as barkely now, its starting to look like this season will be a wash.

Comment

Working...
                              X