Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    I don't mean don't get excited when if Jonas is doing well but there are those who are already writing songs and salvating about him as if he is going to be the next saviour of the franchise. Let the kid grow and be excited too if he just ends up averaging close to a double double in the NBA. Raptor fans are really good at hyping their athlete's but when reality sets in they come out of the woodwork when their precious stud doesn't quite become the player they envisioned.

I blame Vince Carter for this, that S.O.B came in looking like the next Jordan but after 3 seasons became a hasbeen nightmare.
    Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.
    I try not to question whether or not someone is a fan, but he did use 'they' and 'their' as well. I caught that too. haha
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Hotshot;93161]Well its best not to have a knee jerk reaction in the end. Otherwise its going to be like Bargnani "oh he ain't no the next Dirk! at best he is a less athletic version of Rashard Lewis! we been had!!"

You mean like when you and the rest of the so called Raptor's fans booed Jonas on draft night? You mean that kind of knee jerk reaction?

Why can't you be happy that he is enjoying this success against other 19 year olds? These are supposedly the best 19 year old prospects in the world and he is eating their lunch. Why should we not be excited to see a future Raptor playing well against the best of the best from each country?

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Raptors fans can take heart from JV's hustle and enthusiasm in this tournament. He has some athletic ability and good length and is going to get stronger and hopefully develop his skills, but above all else he brings it on the court through his effort and hard work which hopefully translates into success in the NBA down the road.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CT2010 wrote: View Post
    Why can't you be happy that he is enjoying this success against other 19 year olds? These are supposedly the best 19 year old prospects in the world and he is eating their lunch. Why should we not be excited to see a future Raptor playing well against the best of the best from each country?
    I agree. Some of the sentiments people have about him dominating his age group are along the lines of your 10 year old kid coming home from school with an A+ on his last math exam and instead of feeling good for him you say "big deal, it's not like it was advance calculus or anything..."

Had Jonas played horrible it would have been the end of the world in here but because he played well the board is split between elation and skepticism.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    We're not getting excited because all of a sudden Jonas is NBA ROY, MVP etc.
    We're getting excited because he is one of our own, and as a Fan of the team (and subsequently our players) then I have every right to buy into the Hype, and am able to think and believe anything I like.

The hustle and Determination I see from this kid has nothing to do with who he is playing against.
    His Heart, has nothing to do with who he is playing against.
    The stats may mean nothing, and maybe this tournament "is meaningless", but it is allowing most of us our first glance of a type of player that we have not seen in a VERY long time.

I'm buying all the hype I can get. Putting that shit lay away I'm buying so much.

Remember last year when Demar was killing it in Summer League, and some people were saying "Don't get to excited, it's only Summer League" ... In my opinion, this whole "Don't get excited, yet" attititude is for the people who aren't truly invested in the Raps as a team. Raptors fans should be excited, and should be happy about the way our Rookie is playing on a World Wide Stage. This is a legit World Championship, and seeing as I'm a fan of the game, and a fan of Jonas, then I will buy into the Hype.
    If you don't mind.
    Great, great (great) post Joey

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Well its best not to have a knee jerk reaction in the end. Otherwise its going to be like Bargnani "oh he ain't no the next Dirk! at best he is a less athletic version of Rashard Lewis! we been had!!"

Jonas ain't going to be the next Pau Gasol, that's the hype.

What is the reality is possibility of being the next Tyson Chandler or Andris Biedrins.
    One thing that has really impressed me, which seperates him from chandler and especially biedrins, is his free throw percentage. At this point in the tournament he is 2nd overall at 84.9% (leader is at 85%). There are a lot of great energy guys that shoot a horrible free throw percentage and become less effective at the end of games. As well, and I am no shooting technician, I would think that his mid range shot shouldn't be difficult to improve with the fundamentals being in place.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all the other "hype buyers". Our team blows and there is a long road ahead before the Raptors are any good and he is hopefully a glimpse of the future. Now time for some stats.

2008 U16 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (14.3ppg - 11.1rpg - 2.3bpg)
    2010 U18 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (19.4ppg - 13.4rpg - 2.7bpg)
    Would be surprised if he is not U19 MVP, currently averaging: 21.4ppg - 14.9rpg - 3.7bpg

The 2007 U17 tournament didn't exist so he is going for his 3rd straight tournament MVP. Against his own age group he tears his competition apart. Also his domination is increasing over time, every stat has increased over the previous tournaments stat. But he isn't playing against men, so he are the stats of when does.

Lithuanian League:

Raw stats: -- 33gms - 21mpg - 11.5ppg - 7.3rpg - 1.8bpg
    Per 36 stats: 33gms - 36mpg - 19.7ppg - 12.5rpg - 3.1bpg

EuroLeague:

Raw stats: -- 15gms - 15mpg - 7.7ppg - 5.8rpg - 0.7bpg
    Per 36 stats: 15gms - 36mpg - 17.9ppg - 13.5rpg - 1.6bpg

Those are his numbers playing against real men and the EuroLeague stats are him playing against the best teams and players in europe. He is just 19 and everywhere he goes he just kicks ass, and so we hear he has all the passion in the world. I think he will do great in the men's tournament in August. If anything lets add more hype! And if nobody else cares then hopefully at least Tom Liston will appreciate looking at these beautiful numbers.

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:27 AM. Reason: uncalled for

Post Thanks / Like

Quote thatguythere wrote: View Post
    I agree with all the other "hype buyers". Our team blows and there is a long road ahead before the Raptors are any good and he is hopefully a glimpse of the future. Now time for some stats.

2008 U16 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (14.3ppg - 11.1rpg - 2.3bpg)
    2010 U18 FIBA World Championship tournament MVP (19.4ppg - 13.4rpg - 2.7bpg)
    Would be surprised if he is not U19 MVP, currently averaging: 21.4ppg - 14.9rpg - 3.7bpg

The 2007 U17 tournament didn't exist so he is going for his 3rd straight tournament MVP. Against his own age group he tears his competition apart. Also his domination is increasing over time, every stat has increased over the previous tournaments stat. But he isn't playing against men, so he are the stats of when does.

Lithuanian League:

Raw stats: -- 33gms - 21mpg - 11.5ppg - 7.3rpg - 1.8bpg
    Per 36 stats: 33gms - 36mpg - 19.7ppg - 12.5rpg - 3.1bpg

EuroLeague:

Raw stats: -- 15gms - 15mpg - 7.7ppg - 5.8rpg - 0.7bpg
    Per 36 stats: 15gms - 36mpg - 17.9ppg - 13.5rpg - 1.6bpg

Those are his numbers playing against real men and the EuroLeague stats are him playing against the best teams and players in europe. He is just 19 and everywhere he goes he just kicks ass, and so we hear he has all the passion in the world. I think he will do great in the men's tournament in August. If anything lets add more hype! And if nobody else cares then hopefully at least Tom Liston will appreciate looking at these beautiful numbers.
    Nice one. I was actually trying to find the stats from those tournaments earlier.
    It shows that he is capable to adjusting and growing his game too accomodate stronger competition.
    Thats what it shows me, anyway.
    Given Solid coaching and proper training, the sky is the limit for this kid.
    Whether or not he gets there is yet to be seen. But for now, we can dream.
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you're getting into dangerous territory by questioning his loyalty, especially when it's based on basically how he writes/speaks. I've never once said "us Raptor fans", because it's simply not something I would ever say. I'm certainly Canadian, but if I were to describe Canadians, I wouldn't say "us Canadians", or "we as Canadians". I don't completely agree with his argument, but I don't completely disagree with it, either. I was one of the people who absolutely loved the pick to begin with, but I think it's best not to expect too much from him based on what we're seeing from the tournament. I think it's certainly heartening, but it's also not the NBA. Just as I don't think Kemba's dominance in the NCAA means he can do it in the NBA, Valanciunas' dominance in the U19 doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA, either.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I think you're getting into dangerous territory by questioning his loyalty, especially when it's based on basically how he writes/speaks. I've never once said "us Raptor fans", because it's simply not something I would ever say. I'm certainly Canadian, but if I were to describe Canadians, I wouldn't say "us Canadians", or "we as Canadians". I don't completely agree with his argument, but I don't completely disagree with it, either. I was one of the people who absolutely loved the pick to begin with, but I think it's best not to expect too much from him based on what we're seeing from the tournament. I think it's certainly heartening, but it's also not the NBA. Just as I don't think Kemba's dominance in the NCAA means he can do it in the NBA, Valanciunas' dominance in the U19 doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA, either.
    But we're not saying he will dominate the NBA. We're simply enjoying his success RIGHT NOW, at this level.
    Him doing well certainly can't work against him. Obviously nothing is a sure thing. Especially in the NBA. But as fans, we are allowed to believe, and hope, and anticipate that one of ours can be great.

You guys telling us not to, are simply the same people that said "Don't get excited about the moon landing. They still might blow up in mid-air."
    Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:57 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a true Raptor's fan, been a fan since their first game. As a fan I have a right to say what I like and what i don't like about certain topics.

I never liked the word "us" I am just a fan like you, I am not part of the organisation because I don't work for the Raptors and I don't have a say in what they do therefore "us" does not apply.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    But we're not saying he will dominate the NBA. We're simply enjoying his success RIGHT NOW, at this level.
    Him doing well certainly can't work against him. Obviously nothing is a sure thing. Especially in the NBA. But as fans, we are allowed to believe, and hope, and anticipate that one of ours can be great.

You guys telling us not to, are simply the same people that said "Don't get excited about the moon landing. They still might blow up in mid-air."
    Hey, I'm certainly loving how Valanciunas is doing, especially since I was loving the pick right from the moment it was made. I'm just saying it's probably best not to let expectations get too out of hand. I think Valanciunas is going to have a very good career, but I foresee a period of adjustment for him where he'll struggle. And I'm guessing he'll get a lot of criticism during that time.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Valanciunas is going to have a very good career, but I foresee a period of adjustment for him where he'll struggle. And I'm guessing he'll get a lot of criticism during that time.
    Do you believe Val is going to put up better stats in his first year in the NBA then Ed Davis's rookie numbers?

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a true Raptor's fan, been a fan since their first game. As a fan I have a right to say what I like and what i don't like about certain topics.

I never liked the word "us" I am just a fan like you, I am not part of the organisation because I don't work for the Raptors and I don't have a say in what they do therefore "us" does not apply.

and you are an idiot who instead of attacking the message and debate it you are attacking the messenger because you have nothing worth while to contribute.
    nope, just been drinking thats all. this thread is so downer man. enjoy it man dont be a downer! gz

Post Thanks / Like

Do you believe Val is going to put up better stats in his first year in the NBA then Ed Davis's rookie numbers?
    8 points and 7 rebounds a game isn't going to be tough for JV, especially since we're a rebuilding team. I think a line of 10 and 8 is a good possibility. Remember, he isn't coming here this season, so he'll have time to develop and with more minutes in Lithuania, he'll be semi-ready to play later next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Better? Doubtful, but possible. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages around 20 mpg, which is less than what Davis averaged and would make it difficult to better his stats. I think he's going to have trouble staying on the floor for the first season or two, due to foul trouble. Until he adjusts to the way the NBA calls fouls then he's going to have trouble. Then again, he's got a year and he seems to be a fast developer.
    Follow me on Twitter.

Post Thanks / Like

Better? Doubtful, but possible.
    I agree with you there.

Raptors Republic Starter MyMomLovesMe's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should all celebrate that we drafted a rookie who plays in the euro league so that we can have some basketball to watch in the coming year.
    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information