Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
    Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.
    I think you're getting into dangerous territory by questioning his loyalty, especially when it's based on basically how he writes/speaks. I've never once said "us Raptor fans", because it's simply not something I would ever say. I'm certainly Canadian, but if I were to describe Canadians, I wouldn't say "us Canadians", or "we as Canadians". I don't completely agree with his argument, but I don't completely disagree with it, either. I was one of the people who absolutely loved the pick to begin with, but I think it's best not to expect too much from him based on what we're seeing from the tournament. I think it's certainly heartening, but it's also not the NBA. Just as I don't think Kemba's dominance in the NCAA means he can do it in the NBA, Valanciunas' dominance in the U19 doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA, either.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      I think you're getting into dangerous territory by questioning his loyalty, especially when it's based on basically how he writes/speaks. I've never once said "us Raptor fans", because it's simply not something I would ever say. I'm certainly Canadian, but if I were to describe Canadians, I wouldn't say "us Canadians", or "we as Canadians". I don't completely agree with his argument, but I don't completely disagree with it, either. I was one of the people who absolutely loved the pick to begin with, but I think it's best not to expect too much from him based on what we're seeing from the tournament. I think it's certainly heartening, but it's also not the NBA. Just as I don't think Kemba's dominance in the NCAA means he can do it in the NBA, Valanciunas' dominance in the U19 doesn't mean he can do it in the NBA, either.
      But we're not saying he will dominate the NBA. We're simply enjoying his success RIGHT NOW, at this level.
      Him doing well certainly can't work against him. Obviously nothing is a sure thing. Especially in the NBA. But as fans, we are allowed to believe, and hope, and anticipate that one of ours can be great.

You guys telling us not to, are simply the same people that said "Don't get excited about the moon landing. They still might blow up in mid-air."
      Last edited by Joey; Fri Jul 8, 2011, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
        Are you a true Raps Fan Hotshot or just a part timer? I mean instead of saying (US RAPTORS FANS) you said Raptors fans.
        I am a true Raptor's fan, been a fan since their first game. As a fan I have a right to say what I like and what i don't like about certain topics.

I never liked the word "us" I am just a fan like you, I am not part of the organisation because I don't work for the Raptors and I don't have a say in what they do therefore "us" does not apply.
        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jul 10, 2011, 11:28 AM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          But we're not saying he will dominate the NBA. We're simply enjoying his success RIGHT NOW, at this level.
          Him doing well certainly can't work against him. Obviously nothing is a sure thing. Especially in the NBA. But as fans, we are allowed to believe, and hope, and anticipate that one of ours can be great.

You guys telling us not to, are simply the same people that said "Don't get excited about the moon landing. They still might blow up in mid-air."
          Hey, I'm certainly loving how Valanciunas is doing, especially since I was loving the pick right from the moment it was made. I'm just saying it's probably best not to let expectations get too out of hand. I think Valanciunas is going to have a very good career, but I foresee a period of adjustment for him where he'll struggle. And I'm guessing he'll get a lot of criticism during that time.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I think Valanciunas is going to have a very good career, but I foresee a period of adjustment for him where he'll struggle. And I'm guessing he'll get a lot of criticism during that time.
            Do you believe Val is going to put up better stats in his first year in the NBA then Ed Davis's rookie numbers?

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              I am a true Raptor's fan, been a fan since their first game. As a fan I have a right to say what I like and what i don't like about certain topics.

I never liked the word "us" I am just a fan like you, I am not part of the organisation because I don't work for the Raptors and I don't have a say in what they do therefore "us" does not apply.

and you are an idiot who instead of attacking the message and debate it you are attacking the messenger because you have nothing worth while to contribute.
              nope, just been drinking thats all. this thread is so downer man. enjoy it man dont be a downer! gz

Comment

Do you believe Val is going to put up better stats in his first year in the NBA then Ed Davis's rookie numbers?
                8 points and 7 rebounds a game isn't going to be tough for JV, especially since we're a rebuilding team. I think a line of 10 and 8 is a good possibility. Remember, he isn't coming here this season, so he'll have time to develop and with more minutes in Lithuania, he'll be semi-ready to play later next year.

Comment

Better? Doubtful, but possible. I wouldn't be surprised if he averages around 20 mpg, which is less than what Davis averaged and would make it difficult to better his stats. I think he's going to have trouble staying on the floor for the first season or two, due to foul trouble. Until he adjusts to the way the NBA calls fouls then he's going to have trouble. Then again, he's got a year and he seems to be a fast developer.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Better? Doubtful, but possible.
                    I agree with you there.

Comment

We should all celebrate that we drafted a rookie who plays in the euro league so that we can have some basketball to watch in the coming year.
                      Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sun Jul 10, 2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                        We should all celebrate that we drafter a rookie who plays in the euro league so that we can have some basketball to watch in the coming year.
                        woot woot.
                        The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          He's already shown NBA potential. Teams were trying to trade up and throwing around star names, such as the Spurs trying to move Tony Parker to get him. I don't remember anybody doing that for the Raptors' last center prospect, Andrea Bargnani in 2006. In fact Colangelo was on record then saying he tried to trade down but there weren't any takers offering legitimate value.
                          Has their ever been a draft pick that didn't show NBA potential? If they didn't they wouldn't be drafted.

The RUMOUR was that the spurs were trading up to draft him, that doesn't mean they were. A ton of rumours are spread as the draft approachs in hopes that teams may change their plans and someone will slip down, or will make a move up etc. They also, apparently, wanted to move Jeffersons contract... so was this that they wanted Jonas that bad, or that they thought they could start a retooling (ie. start dumping salaries)? Did Parkers comments have anything to do with it? Where they just gauging his trade value? Teaching him a lesson?

Even moreso, almost every team would have traded up to draft Darko aswell (and I'm NOT saying Jonas is Darko), and he was the sure #2 pick after Lebron, that doesn't mean he is therefore good or will turn out good.

I think the OP is right... expectations do need to be tempered. I think its great what he's doing, I think its great people want to support him and want to know how he's doing.... but this is a U19 tournament. Take it with a grain of salt, it doesn't hold much meaning.

But then again this always happens after the draft. I not only remember summer league with Derozan and Sonny (last season) I remember right after he was drafted and people were talking how Derozan was the steal of the draft and would end up rookie of the year. I remember Bargnani being drafted and how the Raps had easily the best player in the draft and their next stud player. I know fans want to get excited about players and want to see them play and want them to be great... but young guys are young guys, no matter where they are from.

Comment

Lets just put it this way.

The #5 pick that we made, has now grown in value due to this tournament. One can't deny that, and there is certainly happiness to be had for that.

Previous picks that dominated that competition included Bogut.

Comment

lets be thankful that the tournament happened after the draft :]
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Someone should do a comparison of Bogut's numbers in 03 to JV's numbers in this tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X