Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grindhouse wrote: View Post
    why did utah pass on jonas? that is what I would like to know
    That is a good question.

I know for months I wanted a C. At first I was Kanter, then switched to Jonas, then a couple of months before the draft switched back to Kanter.

My reasoning was even though Kanter had not had much competition, he was still playing against good competition in Kentucky practice with a pretty good coach. Also he has an NBA-ready body and his skill-set would much better compliment that of Ed Davis.

With that said, with Utah having made the decision between the two for us, Cleveland passing on JV, I am VERY happy with the pick - the U19 was just a little bit of immediate gratification.

Comment

I think tristan is a better fit for cleveland, jonas and varjaeo play very much a like

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        why did utah pass on jonas? that is what I would like to know
        The main reason, from what I gather, was they wanted someone who would help immediately, which Valanciunas obviously wouldn't in Europe. There was also some talked, although unsubstantiated, that Cleveland had a deal with Charlotte to take Valanciunas if they'd take Thompson, or something like that.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
          my expectations with this tournament (and the players who play in it) are hardly high. If it wasn't for it being mentioned in every other new thread I wouldn't even think twice about it.

Thinking Jonas should be alot better than a bunch of nobodies shouldn't be setting the bar very high for him.
          A bunch of nobodies? I think you're undervaluing the talent in that tournament. There are a number of players in that tournament who will play in the NBA, including a few lottery picks. I don't think the NCAA Tournament talent is THAT much higher, quite frankly. This article details several of the prospects...
          http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/07/1...championships/

As for it being mentioned in every other new thread, what the hell else is there to talk about basketball-wise? There's no NBA and no summer league. This is it. And the Raptors 5th pick happens to be playing very well in it.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
            A bunch of nobodies? I think you're undervaluing the talent in that tournament. There are a number of players in that tournament who will play in the NBA, including a few lottery picks. I don't think the NCAA Tournament talent is THAT much higher, quite frankly. This article details several of the prospects...
            http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/07/1...championships/

As for it being mentioned in every other new thread, what the hell else is there to talk about basketball-wise? There's no NBA and no summer league. This is it. And the Raptors 5th pick happens to be playing very well in it.
            Tim you and I know there are only a handful of these guys that will play in the NBA. There are a crap load that wouldn't make (let alone play) on an NCAA team. As far as I'm concerned they are, as a whole, a bunch of nobodies. If you want to believe they are/can be more be my guest... but then don't tell me I have high expectations.

"what the hell else is there to talk about basketball-wise?"

hardly supports how relevant this tournament is

Look I'm not trying to knock Jonas or discredit him... its just a tournament like this should hardly be a challenge for him (and it doesn't really appear it was).

Comment

Almost every player in the U19 would make an NCAA team. Think about it. First of all, lots of NCAA teams don't make it into march madness. And even the ones that do, have lots of pretty lame role players and bench warmers. Think about Jimmer's teammates for a moment.

Now, if you're talking about guys who could get scholarships to go to the states and play, fine. But that's different. Lots of people who will never get scholarships are good enough to play in the NCAA.

Comment

All of a sudden Lieuvos Rytas should be getting a lot of internet traffic from Toronto. The way I see it, if he played well against a US squad full of U19 stars and future NBA lotto picks (or something like that) then hes definitely on the right path. If he continues his development at this rate, he will definitely be beast mode when he gets to the NBA

Comment

Tim you and I know there are only a handful of these guys that will play in the NBA. There are a crap load that wouldn't make (let alone play) on an NCAA team. As far as I'm concerned they are, as a whole, a bunch of nobodies. If you want to believe they are/can be more be my guest... but then don't tell me I have high expectations.

"what the hell else is there to talk about basketball-wise?"

hardly supports how relevant this tournament is

Look I'm not trying to knock Jonas or discredit him... its just a tournament like this should hardly be a challenge for him (and it doesn't really appear it was).
                  I think you're either vastly underestimating the talent level of the tournament or vastly overestimating the talent level of the average NCAA team. I think a majority of guys on each team would make an NCAA team. These are some of the best 19 and under players in the world. Would they all make a team like Kentucky? No, but neither would most players on other NCAA rosters. It's not like most NCAA rosters have NBA bound players, either. Most don't.

Now, I'm not suggesting the overall talent level is the same, but it's not nearly the difference that you make it out to be. Would Valanciunas be as dominant? Probably not, but it's a pretty good bet he'd be close.

As for my comment that there isn't anything else to talk about, I wasn't referring as to whether it's relevant or not. You said "If it wasn't for it being mentioned in every other new thread I wouldn't even think twice about it. " I said that it was mentioned so much because there isn't anything else, basketball-wise, to talk about.

No one thinks this tournament is proof he will be an All-Star in the NBA. I really don't think the majority of people here are overhyping his accomplishments there. It's extremely encouraging and a good indication that Valanciunas was a good player for the Raptors to choose. And that seems to be all people are saying.

As to YOUR level of interest in the tournament, I don't think that's an indication of the level of play in the tournament. I think it's more of an indication of the average level of interest of any basketball that takes place outside of North America among most North Americans, excluding the Olympics.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                    I am a true Raptor's fan, been a fan since their first game. As a fan I have a right to say what I like and what i don't like about certain topics.

I never liked the word "us" I am just a fan like you, I am not part of the organisation because I don't work for the Raptors and I don't have a say in what they do therefore "us" does not apply.
                    Agree. As far as I know, no one on this board is a member of the Raptors, so where does anyone get off saying "we?" The towel boy that works for free so they can see games can say "we" because he is part of the organization, but when you say it, it simply says "fanboy."

Of course, nothing wrong with being a fanboy either. But to jump on someone who is using correct English and is able to be a fan without having to identify with the team to the point where they allow themselves to fantasize that they can include themselves in the organization is lame. :-)

As for JV, clearly he is "next."

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Agree. As far as I know, no one on this board is a member of the Raptors, so where does anyone get off saying "we?" The towel boy that works for free so they can see games can say "we" because he is part of the organization, but when you say it, it simply says "fanboy."
                      Except if you use 'we' or 'us' as in "us Toronto Raptors fans."
                      Not sure if there is a difference between 'fan' and "fanboy".

Last I checked you didn't have to be part of the organization to be a fan of the team, and thus be included in the larger collective of 'fans'.
                      Last edited by Joey; Tue Jul 12, 2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        "fanboy" as far as I understood it, meant being a fan of One player. So it could not be applied to an organization.

I think a lot of fans would use: "we", "us", "we won", "we lost". Simply as a term of endearment for the organization by feeling their support was part of the final equation. I think as minimal as you may think that support is, it still gives them enough stock to use those words. IMO.

Comment

I think a fan is someone who likes something and wants to see it do well, and is happy when it does, sad when it doesn't.

A fanboy is like a zealot, characterized by irrational advocacy of a particular thing. Nothing with sway a fanboy from admitting something is not right about the object of their affection.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

There are a crap load that wouldn't make (let alone play) on an NCAA team.
                            Why don't you names the names and tell us why they couldn't make it to NCAA? Do you realize how many teams are covered under the NCAA's umbrella? I'm with Tim, I think you've gone overboard. The tournament brought together some of the brightest talents from national programs all over the world. Tossing out these general statements with no backing isn't furthering your stance. I can say "the moon is made of cheese and everyone knows it" but at the end of the day that doesn't make the moon made out of cheese.

Comment

The US team didn't have many of the kids from the hoop summit American team. So it seems like they didn't send their best talent into this tourney. I personally don't think Patrick will be a lottery pick when he does come out but that's just me.

Comment

In this age the U.S. typically doesn't win world tournaments when they do send a lot of their best talent. The talent barometer shouldn't begin and end with the U.S. team. Similar to Canadian hockey 20 years ago, U.S. basketball today is finding that the rest of the world is gaining on them.

Comment

Working...
                                X