Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lets not get caught in the Jonas hype just yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
    Wasn't JV the top choice for the teams that leaned towards "analytics", and that was based on his performance in the euroleague league (where he played with men instead of boys, so the numbers still translated, enough to get noticed)?

If anything this tournament already establishes what these analytics guys see, that this kid is very efficient with his time, size and position.

As to how that will translate into the NBA, no one knows. There is also a possibility that he is a flop, I personally doubt that, but I will not stake anything on his success this early.
    I totally agree with this.

JV was picked before the U-19 tournament, and several league folks had him highly rated (including Dallas' Donnie Nelson).

The argument about the relevance of dominating his age group is also countered by how well he performed in the Euro last year, which is what most scouts are using to assess him.

Finally, if JV's dominance of the U-19's is not valid because of the age group, how do you assess Kemba Walker who was two years older than many of those he played against and most of the college draftees.

Comment

• How well did he perform in Euro? Can anyone post some significant and convincing numbers? (All I was able to find was him playing 250 total minutes and averaging 15 minutes per game in something he did last year, I think).
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

• Bouncepass wrote: View Post
        Finally, if JV's dominance of the U-19's is not valid because of the age group, how do you assess Kemba Walker who was two years older than many of those he played against and most of the college draftees.
        Great way of looking at it.

I'm a huge Kemba fan; but this a very valid point.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
          How well did he perform in Euro? Can anyone post some significant and convincing numbers? (All I was able to find was him playing 250 total minutes and averaging 15 minutes per game in something he did last year, I think).
          http://www.eurobasket.com/team.asp?C...eam=683&Page=3

A break down of all his games in Lithuanian league, VTB United League, Euro League, and Baltic League.

Comment

How well did he perform in Euro? Can anyone post some significant and convincing numbers? (All I was able to find was him playing 250 total minutes and averaging 15 minutes per game in something he did last year, I think).
            Per 30 minute averages of 15 points, 12 rebounds, 1.5 blocks. Shooting 70% from the floor and 89% from the Free Throw Line.

Although, whats also interesting is that he had a Per 30 minute average 6.2 fouls .. Holy Smokes!

ADD Thanks for the Link Matt!

Comment

• If you want to see some games of Lietuvos Rytas (or the Euro u18 of last year) yourself, you can do so at the following YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/KilledByRats.

Comment

• Why are some of the leagues so short? Like the Baltic one, 4 games?
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Why are some of the leagues so short? Like the Baltic one, 4 games?
                  In the Baltic league Lietuvos was automatically placed for the playoffs, so they did not have to play the regular season. In the VTB league (for Eastern European teams) there are two groups of 6 teams who play each other home and away followed by playoffs (or knock-outs).

There are different leagues so teams don't only have to play teams in their own country which allows the bigger teams to play a lot of games against higher caliber opponents.

Comment

Working...
                  X