Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Valanciunas is the next...

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a strange sort of animal. The more I consider the harder it is to think of someone with his skill set. Fantastic touch, good defensive instincts (from what I saw), good free throw shooter, high motor, and most of all, great size. I like the Noah comparison and I think Raps fans should start hoping he becomes the same sort of player as Noah, but with more skill offensively. Can you imagine having a player like Noah who could also score consistently from the low post and on the pick and roll? That's what I'm hoping for. Another comparison could be a bigger, better offensive Anderson Varejao.
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Valanciunas said himself in the post draft interview something like being like Chris Bosh, 'not so strong body' or something like that. But on a Lithuanian site I found he said that because his body is not strong enough, but that he wants to be like Dwight Howard. He likes how Howard attacks the basket (the translation said something like 'I like how it sounds going for the basket...). He really wants to be a force around the basket and talks about getting stronger, so he'll be working quite hard on that this year.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    He's a strange sort of animal. The more I consider the harder it is to think of someone with his skill set. Fantastic touch, good defensive instincts (from what I saw), good free throw shooter, high motor, and most of all, great size. I like the Noah comparison and I think Raps fans should start hoping he becomes the same sort of player as Noah, but with more skill offensively. Can you imagine having a player like Noah who could also score consistently from the low post and on the pick and roll? That's what I'm hoping for. Another comparison could be a bigger, better offensive Anderson Varejao.
    I agree, there is no easy answer. After looking more at Noah, I beleive Jonas is considerably inferior at finishing with his left and passing. Noah is also more fluid with the ball (dribble drives). Jonas has a distinct advantage in his use of his elbows and superior size.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Sebastian Pruiti compares him to Chandler before the draft:

Using Basketball Prospectus' college basketball translations, we have determined player comparisons for 2011 draftees. Through game tape, our Sebastian Pruiti explores what makes these players so similar as well as what these draftees are going to have to improve on to validate the comparisons.

In the 2011 draft class, there seems to be a influx of skilled bigs playing overseas. Maybe the most interesting of the bigs is Jonas Valanciunas, who looks like he could be the first of the internationals selected. Valanciunas' comparison is to Tyson Chandler, the big man who anchored the Dallas Mavericks' defense during their title run.
    Rest of the article link
    Last edited by BC Boy; Thu Jul 14th, 2011 at 01:36 PM.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote BC Boy wrote: View Post
    I agree, there is no easy answer. After looking more at Noah, I beleive Jonas is considerably inferior at finishing with his left and passing. Noah is also more fluid with the ball (dribble drives). Jonas has a distinct advantage in his use of his elbows and superior size.
    Noah is definately the better passer, but then Val has never really been asked to be a passer. Noah is also a smoother player than Val: like a couple people have already said Val almost plays like dwight howard sometimes. You could see it alot in the U19 tourny where he was just dominating almost everyone with his size and athleticism. I was thinking about it and I think, among todays players, Dwight may actually be the best comparison. Dwight is obviously stronger and a freakish athlete, but Jonas is acually already taller than dwight and will likely continue to grow a bit. If Jonas work on becoming strong the way Dwight has I think he could be that type of player. He'll never be as good as Dwight of course, but then Val has a better touch around the rim and can shoot free throws so he could likely become better offensively. They get their offense the same way, off the pick and roll and cuts mostly. I think that's the comparison I'll go with. I heard a funny nickname the other day: "White Howard".
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread Information