Valanciunas is the next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BC Boy wrote: View Post
    I agree, it's a bad comparison... however, the one that sends chills up my spine is the primo brezec one.
    ya, i swear nbadraft.net compares them entirely based on looks

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
      im just relieved hes nothing like andrea
      Why would that even be a question?
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

HuskyRaptor wrote: View Post
        ya, i swear nbadraft.net compares them entirely based on looks
        That makes a lot more sense.

Comment

Valanciunas is the next cp3?

Comment

Nice video. JVs got handles!!

That one dunk under the basket was something fierce!

Comment

My hope is that he attacks the rim off the pick n' rool like Amare. I think his athleticism will seperate him from any comparisons to Bogut, Vlade, Ilsgauskas etc.. that have been mentioned on this thread. I've only seen limited hilights of him, but he doesn't look like a great low post scorer so much as a guy that gets his points off hustle and put backs. So I'd compare him to a hybrid of Amare and Noah.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                He's waaay ahead of Biedrins and Noah offensively. I still say he's a Tyson Chandler with way better offense imo.
                Hmm.. let's see:

Valanciunas: 0 mins, 0.0 pts, 0.0 reb, 0.0 ast, 0.0 stl, 0.0 blk
                Biedrins: 24 mins, 7.7 pts, 8.0 reb, 1.1 ast, 0.7 stl, 1.2 blk
                Noah: 26 mins, 8.5 pts, 10.4 reb, 1.6 ast, 0.7 stl, 1.3 blk

Yup, definitely waaay ahead.

Chandler: 28 mins, 8.3 pts, 8.8 reb, 0.8 ast, 0.5 stl, 1.3 blk

Right on par with Chandler, for sure. He's certainly beasting it up offensively.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  What is it with some of these comparisons? Krstic? Have they actually watched Valanciunas? Is it because they're both European? Krstic has never been known for his defense, but has always been a pretty decent offensive player. Does that sound Like Valanciunas?
                  I can say the same thing with some of the comparisons I heard. Dwight? Chandler? Not even close. Sabonis? Pau? I can only imagine people haven't seen these guys play.

I thinner Noah I could see (if you exclude the passing ability Noah has). Biendrins who can hit foul shots is probably a good one though.

Comment

DG88 wrote: View Post
                    He's waaay ahead of Biedrins and Noah offensively. I still say he's a Tyson Chandler with way better offense imo.
                    Hopefully he's like Tyson Chandler playing next to CP3 and J. Kidd, and not the Tyson Chandler that played for Chicago or Charlotte 'cause last I checked we don't have a hall of fame point guard on the roster.

Comment

Yao Ming?

How about the guy who just retired, Yao Ming? Obviously hes not as tall as Yao .. but they have similar touch from the FT and mid range. Needless to say, we would be thrilled if he gets even close to Ming (and stays healthy) .. but I do see the comparisons.

Jonas - more active / athletic (not many guys hes more athletic than, but Yao would be one!), whereas Ming taller and bigger base (which are obviously two HUGE advantages Yao has vs JV in terms of playing the NBA game.

Comment

Rapzilla wrote: View Post
                        Valanciunas is the next cp3?

That behind the back dribble on the move is very impressive for a big guy....

Normally guys this big struggle with control, and his FG%/FT% shows his attention to detail, and talent, IMO.
                        Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Mon Jul 11, 2011, 11:55 AM.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          Hmm.. let's see:

Biedrins: 24 mins, 7.7 pts, 8.0 reb, 1.1 ast, 0.7 stl, 1.2 blk
                          Noah: 26 mins, 8.5 pts, 10.4 reb, 1.6 ast, 0.7 stl, 1.3 blk

Yup, definitely waaay ahead.

Chandler: 28 mins, 8.3 pts, 8.8 reb, 0.8 ast, 0.5 stl, 1.3 blk

Right on par with Chandler, for sure. He's certainly beasting it up offensively.
                          I know you weren't big fan of the pick, but we're obviously not talking about NBA stats, but what we see on the court. I wonder if someone said something similar about Kemba Walker, who's also done absolutely nothing in the NBA, whether you might have the same reaction.

Speaking of Kemba, it seems that Valanciunas is just as much of a winner as Kemba. Leading his team to the U16, U18 and U19 Championships while earning MVP in all those tournaments.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                            I can say the same thing with some of the comparisons I heard. Dwight? Chandler? Not even close. Sabonis? Pau? I can only imagine people haven't seen these guys play.
                            Well I actually posted a video of Sabonis, as a young man, playing overseas. Not sure if you caught that.
                            It's pretty crazy how similar their games were/are.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post

I thinner Noah I could see (if you exclude the passing ability Noah has). Biendrins who can hit foul shots is probably a good one though.
                              I don't think the Chandler comparison is that far off. Especially at the same age. Howard might seem far off, but I don't think you understand the reasoning. Valanciunas obviously isn't the physical specimen Howard is, but that's only part of what makes Howard the player he is. Both players are relentless on the boards, love contact and are able to score despite having few offensive skills.

The comparison to Pau is weak, I agree. Other than them both being white, European and 7 feet, I don't see it.

Sabonis doesn't make sense unless you watch early Sabonis, not the one who played in the NBA. If you watch early Sabonis, you can see the comparison.

As for saying he's a thinner Noah, Valanciunas is actually bigger than Noah. Noah, when he was drafted, was 223 lbs. Valanciunas is closer to 240 lbs. And he was 2 years older than Valanciunas when he was drafted.

I think Chandler is far closer than Biedrins. Biedrins is a good rebounder and shot blocker, but he's not nearly as fluid an athlete as Valanciunas is, and Valanciunas is a better offensive player right now than Biedrins is after 6 years in the NBA.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                Sabonis doesn't make sense unless you watch early Sabonis, not the one who played in the NBA. If you watch early Sabonis, you can see the comparison.
                                Figured I'd give em another one:

This is from the 1986 World Championships in Spain. I believe he was 20 or 21 at the time.
                                All footage is against the USA, and being defended by David "The Admiral" Robinson.

Now heres footage of JV from the U19 Championship:

Note the fire with which they play. The agression. Explosive dunks. Midrange game. Nice passes. Solid Defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X