Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charlz wrote: View Post
    He will

The hype will die down dramatically - less than 5% of the guys in the U19 will never be on an NBA roster.

He will rack up fouls - good for him dominating the U19 but a reality check is coming.
    If he plays 15 minutes a game and doesn't get absolutely destroyed I will be very happy. He is 19 and if he was able to keep up with guys like Pau or even Andrea at this point in his career he would go from a project type player to a first year impact player.

I don't get this thought that if you don't make it to the NBA, you are a chump. There are a lot of very very good players that never make the transition over that could likely play on an NBA roster. Also

less than 5% of the guys in the U19 will never be on an NBA roster.
    Is a very cofusing statement. I think you meant that less than 5% of the players in the U19 tourney will play in the NBA but I can't be sure since your sentence means >95% of all the players in the U19 will make the NBA.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
      I think its a bit dumb to want JV to battle it out with the likes of Gasol and Howard and expect him to come out standing. Those two have each over 5 years of experience under their belts. I dont think Howard or Gasol ever dominated Shaq when they first came in the league. JV will come into his own. He'll be a great player in the league not because he dominated other centers, but because he is a great player, period.

I can see him as a more aggressive Gasol, with better footwork and mid-range. The thing is, he's only 19, and what we are seeing right now is, as cliche as it might sound, a tip of the iceberg. Dont even think of how he's going to fare with other centers, coz by the time he's planted he's feet on the NBA, the current great centers are either going to be out or playing fewer minutes. And we all know that he can only get better, and stronger. I mean if Bargnani was able to improve his numbers year to year, what more JV, who already has an average to slightly above average defensive game?

The only thing thats going to slow him down is bad development.
      Which Gasol are you talking about? If it's Pau you might want to put the expectations into perspective. Remember Gasol put up great numbers his rookie year and was an instant impact player.

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
      01-02 MEM 82 79 36.7 0.518 0.200 0.709 2.9 6.0 8.9 2.7 0.5 2.1 2.73 2.38 17.6

I think JV is gonna be solid but expecting anything close to Pau seems like a stretch to me. Pau was 21 his rookie year so perhaps a better comparison will be JV's second season in the league so he's still got time. Quite the comparison but will be ecstatic if your right!

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
        Which Gasol are you talking about? If it's Pau you might want to put the expectations into perspective. Remember Gasol put up great numbers his rookie year and was an instant impact player.

Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
        01-02 MEM 82 79 36.7 0.518 0.200 0.709 2.9 6.0 8.9 2.7 0.5 2.1 2.73 2.38 17.6

I think JV is gonna be solid but expecting anything close to Pau seems like a stretch to me. Pau was 21 his rookie year so perhaps a better comparison will be JV's second season in the league so he's still got time. Quite the comparison but will be ecstatic if your right!
        Yes, Pau Gasol. I was actually making a "who he reminds of" comparison between JV and Pau, i wasnt saying that JV will produce numbers like Pau did right away. I dont think theyll be able to be "stats comparable". Pau came into a struggling team without any legit scorers, rebounders, short saying they needed a franchise player and made Pau into one. JV is expected to be a major piece for the Raps, but not the piece. He'll probably be, at best, a 4th option when he comes in. But with experience, will he ever be as good as Pau? He might, who knows. All signs point to yes, IMO.

Comment

He will

The hype will die down dramatically - less than 5% of the guys in the U19 will never be on an NBA roster.

He will rack up fouls - good for him dominating the U19 but a reality check is coming.
          So...he's supposed to. It's like saying a new fighter in the UFC would get beaten up by the champion in his weight class.
          It wouldn't mean anything if it happened...this isn't a reality check...and wouldn't justify any of the ridiculous cynicism around this pick.

Wow, did you really think you were saying something here?

Comment

He will

And what percentage of guys in the NCAA Tournament will make an NBA roster? I'm guessing not much more.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I doubt JV is going to impress (fouls up, turn overs up, less fg %, less fta, less blocks), and that shouldnt take away from how good he will be. Im afraid itll end up similar to when you do something fantastic and incredible for your first valentine date with your girlfriend and no future one compares. The expectations are all there for you to exceed and go beyond, and probably impress even more, and if he doesnt come out MVP 20-10-2 while winning the entire tourney, than im sure people will be disappointed at his performance. Which frankly is terrible pressure on this 19 year old kid. Seeing how moody raptor fans seem lately I dont think its fair we start getting upset and frantic when our draft pick doesnt meet up to the standards that broke all previous expectations.
              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                Yes, Pau Gasol. I was actually making a "who he reminds of" comparison between JV and Pau, i wasnt saying that JV will produce numbers like Pau did right away. I dont think theyll be able to be "stats comparable". Pau came into a struggling team without any legit scorers, rebounders, short saying they needed a franchise player and made Pau into one. JV is expected to be a major piece for the Raps, but not the piece. He'll probably be, at best, a 4th option when he comes in. But with experience, will he ever be as good as Pau? He might, who knows. All signs point to yes, IMO.
                Your 100% right Pau's situation was different with the other key players on that team being Williams, Battier, Wright and Swift. BUT he was also a pretty polished offensive player and capable of handling the offensive load (his FG% and reasonable TO rate). JV will definitely be the 4th options if he's on the floor with Dre, Demar and Bayless and rightfully so. This isn't even bringing into account guys like Jose, Barbosa, Amir or even Kleiza who you could argue are more better offensive options.

I think the kids got a great future but at first he's going to be a hustle guy who's long, fairly athletic and has soft hands. This will let him get minutes and have a positive effect on both ends of the court but comparing him in anyway to Gasol offensively doesn't make sense to me. Gasol is arguably the second best offensive big (after Dirk) in the association and has been doing it since day 1 in the league.

Comment

This is something I'd be interested in. It starts in August? I might even follow this..
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Working...
                  X