2012 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    I still don't see Davis and Valanciunas as good complimentary pieces (talking about offense). They have overlapping strengths and weaknesses unless one of them develops a better post game and one of them (probably Valanciunas) becomes a better spot up shooter. On offense the combination of Valanciunas and Bargnani seems more complimentary.

Maybe it's not necessary to trade one of the four big man if Davis or Johnson can play minutes as the back-up center in say two/three years when Valanciunas becomes the starting center. To me trading would all depend on what the return would be. Moving Bargnani to the sixth man position in a couple of years would also be interesting because it gives the team the opportunity to give the opponent a completely different look.
    Watching JV's FT shot I have so much faith that alex english will show him the open jumper on the elbow. The same way amir has learnt to hit it pretty effectively, I see JV doing an ilgauskas impression with those open midranged jumpers. Also Having two bigs on either side of the post that are eager to cut towards the basket and finish strong is good. I think both of them can develop the right skills to compliment eachother and become a a huge front line to deal with. JV ED and Amir have such size up front that Im sure theyll work fine with one another.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      I still don't see Davis and Valanciunas as good complimentary pieces (talking about offense). They have overlapping strengths and weaknesses unless one of them develops a better post game and one of them (probably Valanciunas) becomes a better spot up shooter. On offense the combination of Valanciunas and Bargnani seems more complimentary.

Maybe it's not necessary to trade one of the four big man if Davis or Johnson can play minutes as the back-up center in say two/three years when Valanciunas becomes the starting center. To me trading would all depend on what the return would be. Moving Bargnani to the sixth man position in a couple of years would also be interesting because it gives the team the opportunity to give the opponent a completely different look.
      Bargnani's lack of defense and rebounding doesn't make him complimentary to anyone. Yes it's harsh, but I really think it's true. You just can't hide a big man who's as bad a defender as Bargnani is.

As for Davis, he's actually got the makings of a good post game. He's got good footwork, a nice touch around the basket and an ever-expanding jumpshot.

Besides, if you're going to lose on one end, I'd rather it be on offense, where it can be made up by others. You can't make up someone else's poor defense.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I like our roster although Barbosa shouldn't be around. Hopefully sonny benefits from his euro tour and can be a decent back up to demar at the SG (I just don't think he can be a capable SF). The only way you can have Bargs Davis Amir and JV on the same team is if you play them all as forwards in different combinations. Bargs/Davis or even Bargs/Amir have to be able to play on the floor together, otherwise one of Bargs Davis Amir has to go. Maybe you can package the odd man out w/ Calderon's expiring or bayless or weems for a pg upgrade.
        "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          lol - It is not quite what I would do, however, just trying to connect the dots of public statements made by BC and Casey.

Then again, BC showed he is the master of smoke-screen this past draft by making just about everyone thing he was going to take one of Leonard/Walker/Knight/Biyombo. Maybe (hopefully!) he is doing the reverse with Bargnani now.

Regarding Davis, read what I wrote:
          I realized you wouldn't trade Davis if it was your choice. But it was the Chandler comment surprised me. I really don't think it's either realistic or a good idea to sign Chandler.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

No Ajinca. 5 bigs, with Alabi on the bench, giving us a 4 man big rotation.

I don't know why Banks is on there, but we don't need him and won't have him.

4 guys in the 1/2 slots: Demar, Barbosa, Bayless, Calderon.
            2 guys at the 3: Johnson, Kleiza
            4 bigs: Bargnani, valanciunas, Davis, Johnson.

That's a 10 man rotation, which is all that matters.

Comment

10 man rotation with a terrible hole at the SF spot, and debatably the PG spot. I would rather transform one of those bigs into an SF of equal caliber

Comment

malefax wrote: View Post
                No Ajinca. 5 bigs, with Alabi on the bench, giving us a 4 man big rotation.

I don't know why Banks is on there, but we don't need him and won't have him.

4 guys in the 1/2 slots: Demar, Barbosa, Bayless, Calderon.
                2 guys at the 3: Johnson, Kleiza
                4 bigs: Bargnani, valanciunas, Davis, Johnson.

That's a 10 man rotation, which is all that matters.
                Banks would make a pretty good third point guard. If either Calderon or Bayless goes down, it's nice to have a PG who can step in for 5-10 minutes and not embarrass himself. Most teams like to stash a third PG on the bench for emergency situations.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

banks would be nice :]

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                    Watching JV's FT shot I have so much faith that alex english will show him the open jumper on the elbow. The same way amir has learnt to hit it pretty effectively, I see JV doing an ilgauskas impression with those open midranged jumpers. Also Having two bigs on either side of the post that are eager to cut towards the basket and finish strong is good. I think both of them can develop the right skills to compliment eachother and become a a huge front line to deal with. JV ED and Amir have such size up front that Im sure theyll work fine with one another.
                    Um, dude? Alex English is gone.

Comment

gaaaah since when ?? D:

Comment

im upset now...

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                          im upset now...
                          I don't really know much of what Alex English's accomplishments were as an assistant coach. Apparently he was good at raising Amir's free throw shooting percentage, but the guy who seems to have been most credited as a shooting coach was Eric Roth, who is still an assistant. The thing about English is he was basically a microcosm of the Toronto Raptors over the last 5 years. Good at scoring, not good at defense.
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Im not sure about that Tim. I remember listening in on our announcers praising alex english for all the work he put into amir after every 15 ft jumpshot he made. And its true, amir had absolutley no jump shot till last season, and it was very useful.

Comment

Its way too early to predict this kind of things knowing that BC can pull off a trade at anytime or do a signing out of nowhere, but then again a lil speculation won't hurt as well.

Comment

2012 - with a FA addition this year, and a lottery selection next year:

PG: Bayless - Jose
                                SG: DeRozan - Barbosa
                                SF: McAdoo - Johnson - Kleiza
                                PF: Bargnani - Davis - Amir
                                C : Nene - Valanciunas - Alabi
                                The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

Working...
                                X