No announcement yet.

2012 Roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dan Gadzuric was once given a big contract dispite being very raw because he was young, big and athletic. He showed promise. He never lived up to any promise and now he's getting old, rapidly slowing down and still relatively raw.

Kwame Brown is only 28, can play solid defense but is horrible on offense.

I don't think either is the right choice but if I had to choose I'd choose Brown.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Gadzuric started 9 games last year for the Nets and Golden State; and played 11 minutes a game.
      He wasn't injured all year, or else he wouldn't have bothered to come back.
      Its not like the Nets were in desperate need of a Center.

Its not what I'm afraid of happening.
      I just don't understand how signing Dan Gadzuric is all of a sudden a smart move.
      There are TONS of other guys out there, who are younger, more athletic, and have far more Potential.
      It's not like Gadzuric is some Epic-Leader that will teach our young guys all these tips and tools that he's used to be ... a nobody in the league for the last 6 years.
      Hey hey, don't go calling one of the best Dutch players of the last 15 years a nobody (yes I know that's sad).

But I'd like to get a veteran center with mainly defensive skills for a couple of years for cheap IF we are going to keep Bargnani. Centers are hard to come by and getting a better quality center (who is not a project still needing to learn the defensive game) will be expensive fast. The rumours are that we are in the chase for Dalembert and Chandler. The first one will be at least 8 million a year I guess and the second one will need a 'ring-bonus' so we are probably talking 10 million + for a non-contender.

Comment

Can't we just pretend to be looking for someone, but then in the end just end up with the roster we have.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
          Hey hey, don't go calling one of the best Dutch players of the last 15 years a nobody (yes I know that's sad).

But I'd like to get a veteran center with mainly defensive skills for a couple of years for cheap IF we are going to keep Bargnani. Centers are hard to come by and getting a better quality center (who is not a project still needing to learn the defensive game) will be expensive fast. The rumours are that we are in the chase for Dalembert and Chandler. The first one will be at least 8 million a year I guess and the second one will need a 'ring-bonus' so we are probably talking 10 million + for a non-contender.
          Joel Przybilla offers everything they need in a bench center, including a decent price.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Joel Przybilla offers everything they need in a bench center, including a decent price.
            I'd be absolutely ok with Przybilla, but I have no idea what his salary would need to be. Only thing is that his shotblocking dropped off significantly the last years.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
              I'd be absolutely ok with Przybilla, but I have no idea what his salary would need to be. Only thing is that his shotblocking dropped off significantly the last years.
              Well he barely played the last couple years cause of injuries. Not sure what his health is supposed be like these days.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Having four good bigs fighting for playing time is not only not ideal, it's a disaster waiting to happen. I wouldn't even want to touch that. You're going to get disgruntled players and other problems. Hell, we've seen it firsthand when the Raptors had two decent PGs. And at least with Calderon and Jack you could Jack at SG some of the time.

As far as trading, trading Davis is a horrendously bad idea. He's got more potential than any big on the team, outside of Valanciunas, and he's the type of player you find on Championship teams. He's the type of player that when you get him on the roster, you never let him go.

Amir is a perfect bench player, the most productive player on the team and helps the team win more than any other Raptor. Plus he's got a very reasonable contract.

Bargnani is the odd man out, here. It's still a question of whether you can find a place for him on the team, he's not nearly as productive as he seems because he doesn't rebound or play defense, he constantly needs to be motivated and his contract isn't good. The argument I've heard in favour of keeping Bargnani is that the other players will have more trade value, which I think is a ridiculous reason. You don't trade the guys with the most trade value. You trade the guys who don't help your team win and keep the guys who do.

As far as what playing four bigs together would do to their trade value, it's not necessarily that they would simply be less productive because of fewer minutes. A guy like Bargnani might struggle finding a role where he's not playing 30 mpg and taking a lot of shots. He's struggled in the past when asked to play a bench role. And what happens if players get disgruntled, which is bound to happen? The Raptors will end up being forced to trade one, which will lower their trade value.

Like I said, there are far fewer reasons to trade one of them than keep all of them.
                Disaster might seem like a bit of a stretch. How did the Bulls do this past year? Didn't they have Boozer, Noah, Gibson and Asik? I won't even mention Thomas so we'll leave it as the four not 5 of them. Chicago was very tough to beat due to fresh legs and the option to use different looks. Had Asik not been injured and that extra size missing they would have taken the Heat to 6 if not 7 games.

The Bulls is a decent comparison with Boozer and Dre being good scorers with bad defending (Boozer is a better rebounder), I know who much you like Davis so we'll compare him to Noah (Noah is a much better passer), Amir to Gibson and Asik to JV when he comes over. Seemed like the Bulls were able to do just fine running a 4 man rotation and doing it with much more polished and solidified players. it's not ideal but doesn't quite seem like a disaster to me.

By the way it's not a horrendous idea to trade any player not named Lebron, Dwight, Rose, Kobe or KD. Until you know the deal that's on the table it's foolish to make statements especially over a player who didn't dominate right out of the gate. I really like Ed and think he's going to be a solid piece going forward especially at the defensive end. He's got tools to be very good but you talk about him like he's a perennial all star/mvp candidate.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                  Disaster might seem like a bit of a stretch. How did the Bulls do this past year? Didn't they have Boozer, Noah, Gibson and Asik? I won't even mention Thomas so we'll leave it as the four not 5 of them. Chicago was very tough to beat due to fresh legs and the option to use different looks. Had Asik not been injured and that extra size missing they would have taken the Heat to 6 if not 7 games.

The Bulls is a decent comparison with Boozer and Dre being good scorers with bad defending (Boozer is a better rebounder), I know who much you like Davis so we'll compare him to Noah (Noah is a much better passer), Amir to Gibson and Asik to JV when he comes over. Seemed like the Bulls were able to do just fine running a 4 man rotation and doing it with much more polished and solidified players. it's not ideal but doesn't quite seem like a disaster to me.

By the way it's not a horrendous idea to trade any player not named Lebron, Dwight, Rose, Kobe or KD. Until you know the deal that's on the table it's foolish to make statements especially over a player who didn't dominate right out of the gate. I really like Ed and think he's going to be a solid piece going forward especially at the defensive end. He's got tools to be very good but you talk about him like he's a perennial all star/mvp candidate.
                  Asik played 12 mpg, and that was with Noah missing half the season. If Asik continues to get better, there's going to be an issue in CHicago with playing time. Plus, they're a contender. If you're playing 20 mpg on a contender, you're a lot happier than playing 25 mpg on a mediocre to bad team.

And unless the Raptors get a great player in return, I wouldn't think of trading Davis. Especially if Bargnani is still on the team. I harp on it, but Bargnani's got to go. He's too high maintenance and too risky for too little payoff. Especially when you've got two better PFs already.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Asik played 12 mpg, and that was with Noah missing half the season. If Asik continues to get better, there's going to be an issue in CHicago with playing time. Plus, they're a contender. If you're playing 20 mpg on a contender, you're a lot happier than playing 25 mpg on a mediocre to bad team.

And unless the Raptors get a great player in return, I wouldn't think of trading Davis. Especially if Bargnani is still on the team. I harp on it, but Bargnani's got to go. He's too high maintenance and too risky for too little payoff. Especially when you've got two better PFs already.
                    Your right Asik only player 12 minutes but he was also the only big to play in 82 games. Noah played 48, Boozer 59, Gibson 80 and Thomas 52 (22 minutes a game). All I'm saying it's more likely for guys to miss games then play all 82. Having bodies could mean Amir not playing hurt and risking more serious damage like he did for the second half of last season. JV will certainly be picking up fouls and can't be asked for an depended on for extended burn night in and night out. Davis can be more aggressive and alter shots and hell with actual capable bodies Dre could be held accountable on the defensive end. The best motivation for any player is a guy wanting to take minutes from you who is actually capable. I don't see the issue with players earning minutes rather then being handed them. What you see as an disaster I see as a great motivational tool. Again it's not the long term solution just an idea until JV is ready.

Comment

I am more than a little pessimistic at this point. Only 22 wins, some wiggle room under the old salary cap, but perhaps none under the future reduced hard cap. Free agents only want to come if they are overpaid. Other than the draft, Brian Colangelo has not been on a roll with trades and roster moves of late. The Raptors could use a couple of Tony Allens.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                        I am more than a little pessimistic at this point. Only 22 wins, some wiggle room under the old salary cap, but perhaps none under the future reduced hard cap. Free agents only want to come if they are overpaid. Other than the draft, Brian Colangelo has not been on a roll with trades and roster moves of late. The Raptors could use a couple of Tony Allens.
                        At this point, we have no idea what the new CBA is going to be. I would be surprised if it was a hard cap. Maybe something in between what it was and a hard cap.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          Since Bosh has been taken out of all considerations moving forward (i.e. he left), the record certainly doesn't support the moves right now but moving forward, I think he has been on a roll:

Draft DD, ED, JV, and (hopefully) Alabi can be a back up

pick 28 for James Johnson

essentially Jarrett Jack for Jerryd Bayless

Turk for Barbosa

The other moves have been 'meh' but not necessarily bad:

Marco for Julian

Kleiza's injury was very unfortunate (which is why I put it as 'meh' versus bad)

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Since Bosh has been taken out of all considerations moving forward (i.e. he left), the record certainly doesn't support the moves right now but moving forward, I think he has been on a roll:

Draft DD, ED, JV, and (hopefully) Alabi can be a back up

pick 28 for James Johnson

essentially Jarrett Jack for Jerryd Bayless

Turk for Barbosa

The other moves have been 'meh' but not necessarily bad:

Marco for Julian

Kleiza's injury was very unfortunate (which is why I put it as 'meh' versus bad)

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._colangelo.htm
                            I would have liked to have seen Colangelo trade Weems instead of Belinelli, but I understood why he did it. Belinelli would have been much more valuable, with his outside shooting and ball handling, than Weems on the Raptors. The thing that's always bothered me about Weems is he's never shown himself to be a roll player. He's focused almost solely on scoring, whereas if he focused on defense and other aspects, he'd be an excellent roll player. I think he's in the same boat Kris Humphries was when he was a Raptor. Still under the illusion he can be a star in the league.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I would have liked to have seen Colangelo trade Weems instead of Belinelli, but I understood why he did it. Belinelli would have been much more valuable, with his outside shooting and ball handling, than Weems on the Raptors. The thing that's always bothered me about Weems is he's never shown himself to be a roll player. He's focused almost solely on scoring, whereas if he focused on defense and other aspects, he'd be an excellent roll player. I think he's in the same boat Kris Humphries was when he was a Raptor. Still under the illusion he can be a star in the league.
                              I was also under the impression Marco was Turk's main partner in crime their one year here.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                                I was also under the impression Marco was Turk's main partner in crime their one year here.
                                Hadn't heard that. Well, I take back what I said, then.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X