Jonas Emerging (RealGM Article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quixotic wrote: View Post
    I would, but obviously it's based on nothing more than gut feeling (as is most if not everyone else's opinion). I said back in May, that I'd prefer this order of players (with tiers now indicated by the gaps):

Irving
    Kanter
    Williams

Knight
    Walker
    Burks
    Leonard
    Valanciunas
    Biyombo
    Thompson

Vesely
    Singleton

The only change I'd make is to move Leonard down to the third grouping, just ahead of Vesely. I don't remember putting him up so high, but I guess you could attribute it to hindsight (even though it really wasn't!). I'm still concerned about Valanciunas' ability to adapt to the NBA, as his foul rate was super high in Europe and I believe the players there tend to get away with more, but I'm okay with the pick. This really wasn't one of those drafts where anyone really had any right to get flustered with the selection. I view it as a gamble (but I like gambles for a team this bad), but even Irving and Williams were shaky top two picks.
    You would move Leonard down based on what? The only person who has played a game since the draft is Valanciunas, so how have you already decided to move the projections around? I guess it shows that there is a reason that scouts and GMs have their jobs, fans post on internet boards, and GMs don't read internet boards.

But I still can't really understand putting Burks and Leonard ahead of Valanciunas. In a strong or mid-level draft they would have a hard time cracking the top-20, and Valanciunas has been consistently ranked in the lottery by most even before a number of the top prospects dropped out. I think that many fans probably need to admit that the reason that they didn't like the Valanciunas pick is that they had very little knowledge about his background and capabilities, and had some false notion about his style based on a stereotype of European bigs. I think that's okay, but it should remind everyone that it is probably better to consider that GMs and scouts spend a lot of time watching and evaluating players, and when there is a strong consensus such as JV received it is probably more accurate than fans' uninformed opinions.

Comment

U19 World Championship Recap

From NBADraft.net:

Jonas Valanciunas, 1992, C, 6’11”/210 cm, Lithuania
      Drafted 5th in this year's draft by Toronto. Valanciunas confirmed the expectations related to his lottery pick status, dominating his peers in this FIBA U19 world championship. Even his most publicized opponent, Polish big man Karnowski, had his mobility, athleticism and intimidation neutralized. He still has to work on the use of the pivot foot, but he is really a rising star, ready for NBA.

Comment

Working...
      X