View Poll Results: If the new CBA allows an amnesty clause, who should the Raptors buy-out?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jose Calderon

    8 44.44%
  • Andrea Bargnani

    3 16.67%
  • Amir Johnson

    0 0%
  • Linas Kleiza

    6 33.33%
  • DeMar DeRozan

    1 5.56%
  • Ed Davis

    0 0%
  • James Johnson

    0 0%
  • Leandro Barbosa

    0 0%
  • Solomon Alabi

    0 0%
  • Jerryd Bayless

    0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: If the Raps could waive one contract under a new CBA, who would it be?

  1. #21
    Raptors Republic All-Star slaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The only point to using an amnesty is to: get below the cap and/or free up space to sign other FAs. I don't think the latter makes any sense in Toronto. Now, if the NBA ends up with a hard cap in the $45mm range you may need to buyout someone to get under that total in order to field a roster. In that scenario, it's most likely a big salary like Calderon who gets the nod and I don't think it's by choice but by necessity.

    Not sure paying Calderon ~$20mm just to turn around and pay $20mm for 2 average players makes any sense for the Raptors.

  2. #22
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    17,776
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote slaw wrote: View Post
    The only point to using an amnesty is to: get below the cap and/or free up space to sign other FAs. I don't think the latter makes any sense in Toronto. Now, if the NBA ends up with a hard cap in the $45mm range you may need to buyout someone to get under that total in order to field a roster. In that scenario, it's most likely a big salary like Calderon who gets the nod and I don't think it's by choice but by necessity.

    Not sure paying Calderon ~$20mm just to turn around and pay $20mm for 2 average players makes any sense for the Raptors.
    Not sure about anyone else's thinking on Calderon, but mine was not about next year for free agents - it was the year after.

    Let Bayless start and see what he is capable of. He showed flashes of brilliance when given an opportunity to start. Is he going to be given an extension? Is he part of the future of this team?

    Let ED, DD, JJ, Alabi develop and show what they are capable of along with Bayless.

    Get another very high draft pick.

    Then next summer, Toronto might be an attractive destination for a free agent with a team already (hopefully) loaded with young, emerging talent.

    Ideally, I'd like to trade Calderon but I'm assuming he doesn't return much of value given his contract.

  3. #23
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Not sure about anyone else's thinking on Calderon, but mine was not about next year for free agents - it was the year after.

    Let Bayless start and see what he is capable of. He showed flashes of brilliance when given an opportunity to start. Is he going to be given an extension? Is he part of the future of this team?

    Let ED, DD, JJ, Alabi develop and show what they are capable of along with Bayless.

    Get another very high draft pick.

    Then next summer, Toronto might be an attractive destination for a free agent with a team already (hopefully) loaded with young, emerging talent.

    Ideally, I'd like to trade Calderon but I'm assuming he doesn't return much of value given his contract.
    If it was any other position, I'd agree with you. But my issue is that if Bayless turns out not to be a good distributor, it will end up hurting the development of everyone else on the team. We already know that Calderon can run an offense and get the ball where it needs to go. If Bayless turns out to be another Mike James, that's going to mean guys like DeRozan, Amir and Davis are not going to develop offensively nearly as much as they would with Calderon running the point. I say keep them both and continue to give Bayless lots of minutes to see what he can do.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

  4. #24
    Raptors Republic All-Star ebrian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    1,468
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Tim W. wrote: View Post
    If it was any other position, I'd agree with you. But my issue is that if Bayless turns out not to be a good distributor, it will end up hurting the development of everyone else on the team. We already know that Calderon can run an offense and get the ball where it needs to go. If Bayless turns out to be another Mike James, that's going to mean guys like DeRozan, Amir and Davis are not going to develop offensively nearly as much as they would with Calderon running the point. I say keep them both and continue to give Bayless lots of minutes to see what he can do.
    I'm ebrian, and I endorse this post.

  5. #25
    Raptors Republic Starter RapthoseLeafs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern Ontario
    Posts
    616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Nobody ..... Nobody ..... Nobody

    .
    Such a scenario - waiving one contract - would not benefit the Raptors. There are only 4 players in this category, that are really worth considering. With none of the contracts being an albatross, the odds are even greater that Raptors see no benefit in a (potential) CBA amnesty.

    • Bargnani - He has the biggest contract, but like Apollo says, it's not a bad contract. Sometimes the hate around here is distorting reality for some fans - even the ones with reputable BBall IQs.
      .
    • Calderon - His contract would be the hardest to move, based on ROI (return on investment). But with only 2 years left, I can imagine Jose staying on with the Raptors. In the last year of his contract, Jose could become a valuable trading asset, if we so desired to go that route. But assuming he still loves it here, Jose would make the perfect back-up PG. A quality back-up who can start ANYTIME. A mentor for a young PG draft pick. And a new contract that is more in keeping with what he brings to the table.
      .
    • Kleiza - His recovery is the key to his future ... as Masters of the Obvious would say. But ... I have my doubts that Linus's career will come to an end (from this particular injury). His salary is not excessive, and if he should be required (in the future) to retire, the injury exemption would still provide some remedy. For the most part, the new CBA will occur before any relevant decision can be made on going forward with Kleiza, or not.
      .
    • Barbosa - His contract could be an ideal asset at the trade deadline. Using a potential exemption that may come about, strikes me as a terrible idea.


    In the end, nobody is worth moving. If anything, this would be the case where the Raptors get no benefit, as seems to be the reality too often.
    .

  6. #26
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    11,651
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    One positive about the lockout is that it lessens the impact of Kleiza's injury should it extend to the January 2012 deadline. I still think he would be the guy to go though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •