Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the contract talks with Ed Stefanski and the Raptors have hit a snag

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._search_101411

According to Woj, this has now pushed Jeff Bower and Kevin Pritchard to the front of the search! Good times!
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
      Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the contract talks with Ed Stefanski and the Raptors have hit a snag

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._search_101411

According to Woj, this has now pushed Jeff Bower and Kevin Pritchard to the front of the search! Good times!
      I was wondering what happened to Lindsey. This is the first time I've seen this:

Once San Antonio Spurs assistant GM Dennis Lindsey pulled out of the Raptors’ search earlier this month, Stefanski and Bower became the two finalists for the job.
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Fri Oct 14, 2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Adrian Wojnarowski is reporting that the contract talks with Ed Stefanski and the Raptors have hit a snag.

Comment

Who do people prefer between Pritchard and Bower?

Based on what I have read, Pritchard seems to be the favourite around here. Both have good experience in the position but have very different styles and history. Here are there Basketball Reference Pages

Pritchard:http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ritcke01x.html
          Bower: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...owerje99x.html

This does not show extensions like Pritchards deal with Brandon Roy.

Pritchard had the wealth of Paul Allen behind him, which gave him the ability to push the limits a little bit more. His Reference page shows that on three separate times he either bought a draft pick or a player. Pritchard does have some good second round draft picks (Hightlights: Omar Asik, Joey Dorsey, Patrick Mills, Armon Johnson) but in 4 years he did have 19 draft picks to use.

Pritchard also made some quality trades:
          - Cash for Rudy Fernandez and James Jones
          - Turned Joey Dorsey into Nic Batum (three team trade)

Pritchard and BC also share the distinction that they each turned Jarrett Jack into Jerryd Bayless.

Bower on the other hand worked for a penny pinching owner. In 5 years he had 8 draft picks to work for and the highlights of his picks have been Julian Wright (we know how that worked out), Darren Collison, and Cole Aldrich.

Best Trades:
          - PJ Brown and JR Smith for Tyson Chandler
          - Andrew Betts for Peja Stojakovic
          - Jarvis Varnado for Marcus Thornton
          - Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor

Pritchard seems to be stronger in drafting, and potentially analysis. But Bower has a stronger trade history.

Comment

Based on what I have read, Pritchard seems to be the favourite around here. Both have good experience in the position but have very different styles and history. Here are there Basketball Reference Pages

Pritchard:http://www.basketball-reference.com/...ritcke01x.html
            Bower: http://www.basketball-reference.com/...owerje99x.html

This does not show extensions like Pritchards deal with Brandon Roy.

Pritchard had the wealth of Paul Allen behind him, which gave him the ability to push the limits a little bit more. His Reference page shows that on three separate times he either bought a draft pick or a player. Pritchard does have some good second round draft picks (Hightlights: Omar Asik, Joey Dorsey, Patrick Mills, Armon Johnson) but in 4 years he did have 19 draft picks to use.

Pritchard also made some quality trades:
            - Cash for Rudy Fernandez and James Jones
            - Turned Joey Dorsey into Nic Batum (three team trade)

Pritchard and BC also share the distinction that they each turned Jarrett Jack into Jerryd Bayless.

Bower on the other hand worked for a penny pinching owner. In 5 years he had 8 draft picks to work for and the highlights of his picks have been Julian Wright (we know how that worked out), Darren Collison, and Cole Aldrich.

Best Trades:
            - PJ Brown and JR Smith for Tyson Chandler
            - Andrew Betts for Peja Stojakovic
            - Jarvis Varnado for Marcus Thornton
            - Tyson Chandler for Emeka Okafor

Pritchard seems to be stronger in drafting, and potentially analysis. But Bower has a stronger trade history.
            Good write up.

What scares me about Bower is his free agent signings (this is definitely BC's worst area):

- 4 years and $25M to James Posey
            - 5 years and $60M to Peja Stojakovic
            - 4 years and $25M to Mo Pete.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              What scares me about Bower is his free agent signings (this is definitely BC's worst area):

- 4 years and $25M to James Posey
              - 5 years and $60M to Peja Stojakovic
              - 4 years and $25M to Mo Pete.
              Those are some pretty terrible signings, but you could argue the same thing with Pritchard based on the Brandon Roy situation. Knowing full well that a players knees are completely failing on him, and then paying him above market value despite that knowledge. I would argue that Brandon Roy's contract is currently more destructive towards the Blazers then any of those signings were towards the Hornets.

But I would agree, help on free agent signings would be big for BC. The problem is that I don't particularly see this as a Pritchard strength either. Pritchard is great with advanced metrics/statistics, and has shown the ability to pull in some quality second round picks because of that. But what are his key free agent signings that would put him as a stronger candidate then Bower?

Comment

Based solely on their track records, I'd go with Pritchard. I prefer his overall approach to team building. Especially in a market like Toronto where accumulating a variety of cost-controllable assets and exploiting inefficiencies in the system are key to building a good organization. I imagine Pritchard as an outside-the-box kinda guy and the Raptors definitely need more of that.

Especially if the new world order is a hard-cap or de facto hard cap. The rich teams will be using those saved salary monies to buy draft picks, stash players in Europe, beef up scouting and coaching departments, improve facilities, etc. Teams like Toronto will have to keep pace and be creative in doing so. Nothing in Bower's history suggests to me he is the type of creative thinker they need going forward.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  Based solely on their track records, I'd go with Pritchard. I prefer his overall approach to team building. Especially in a market like Toronto where accumulating a variety of cost-controllable assets and exploiting inefficiencies in the system are key to building a good organization. I imagine Pritchard as an outside-the-box kinda guy and the Raptors definitely need more of that.

Especially if the new world order is a hard-cap or de facto hard cap. The rich teams will be using those saved salary monies to buy draft picks, stash players in Europe, beef up scouting and coaching departments, improve facilities, etc. Teams like Toronto will have to keep pace and be creative in doing so. Nothing in Bower's history suggests to me he is the type of creative thinker they need going forward.
                  I had not thought of that. Thanks.

I think Toronto will be alright though. BC has a solid track record on drafting. Also Toronto was 5th in revenue I believe. I think they will do very well in a hard cap or defacto hard cap environment. Toronto needs someone who can control Colangelo's contract offerings - I don't think Stefanski or Bower are that guy.

Comment

Am I the only one feeling that this process has been dragged out a little too long? Linsey pulled out a while ago. Now it sort of sounds like Stefanski may have as well. What's the problem here? Maybe the perception that Colangelo will be heavily hands on is bothering people?

Comment

• Or that MLSE possibly has a finger in the decision making with senior hires like this?

Comment

• Stefanski officially out in Philly

With the new owner in place, general manager Ed Stefanski has been relieved of his duties, the Sixers announced during Tuesday’s press conference. President Rod Thorn will continue to handle all basketball decisions and Harris told the press that the team has “no plans” to replace Stefanski. Bob Cooney of the Philadelphia Daily News speculated that Levien, who worked as an executive with the Kings, will take part in personnel decisions, as well.

Sources close to the situation tell HOOPSWORLD that Stefanski is likely to land in Toronto as the Raptors’ GM under President of Basketball Operations Bryan Colangelo.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-pm-sch...remain-a-mess/
                        Stafanski is officially out in Philly = and HW still reporting to Toronto.

Please, no, Bryan.

Comment

• Stefanski is definitely the best out of the three.

but, i think b.c. needs help with the trade front. he's a better drafter than the both of them combined. but, he has difficulty not trading draft picks and has been the loser on too many trades in recent years.

the only big name trade that he has come out on top in since being here was for marion and it wasn't by leaps and bounds.

the only busts he's selected in 1st round have been zarko cablahblah,kirk snyder and joey graham compared to his sucessful ones (nash, marion,stoudemire,derozan, etc.)

he just needs someone to tell him to chill on the unknown,unproven overseas players and the huge risk trades.
                          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                            Stefanski is definitely the best out of the three.

but, i think b.c. needs help with the trade front. he's a better drafter than the both of them combined. but, he has difficulty not trading draft picks and has been the loser on too many trades in recent years.

the only big name trade that he has come out on top in since being here was for marion and it wasn't by leaps and bounds.

the only busts he's selected in 1st round have been zarko cablahblah,kirk snyder and joey graham compared to his sucessful ones (nash, marion,stoudemire,derozan, etc.)

he just needs someone to tell him to chill on the unknown,unproven overseas players and the huge risk trades.
                            Just to be clear, Colangelo never drafted Kirk Snyder (Utah did) and he came to Toronto a year after Joey Graham was drafted. He also was able to get Joe Johnson and a first round pick for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. He also got a hell of a lot back for Joe Johnson, who was a free agent anyway.

As for the unproven overseas players, obviously Bargnani should not have been picked as high as he was, but Valanciunas has a chance at being the best player from his draft. Garbajosa was a great pickup (unfortunately he got hurt). Not sure who else you're talking about.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• According to an NBA source, talks between the Toronto Raptors and Stefanski for their vacant GM job have "heated up."
                              http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...Sixers_GM.html

Comment

• They need to get this done soon. It's dragged on way too long regardless of the lockout easing pressure. Ed is probably the best option out of what's realistically left for Toronto.

Comment

Working...
                                X