Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Link to full article
    Three candidates have emerged as frontrunners for the Toronto Raptors’ general manager job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Former New Orleans Hornets GM Jeff Bower, Philadelphia 76ers GM Ed Stefanski and San Antonio assistant GM Dennis Lindsey are three focuses of the franchise to work under Toronto president Bryan Colangelo, sources said.
    Even though I know very little about Lindsey, he is my choice based on the fact that he is associated with the Spurs. The article does say that he has turned down 2 other jobs in the past few years... why does he take this one? Especially if this is the case...
    Colangelo would keep final say in basketball operations, and it’s unclear how much, if any, autonomy a GM would have under him. Colangelo has always been hands-on with his coaching staffs and active in trade talks and deals. Toronto has missed the playoffs for two straight years. After losing Chris Bosh(notes) to free agency in the summer of 2010, the Raptors won 22 games last season.
    Last edited by BC Boy; Fri Jul 15, 2011, 12:10 AM.

when did talks of a new GM start?

Comment

ATT wrote: View Post
      when did talks of a new GM start?
      report-colangelo-has-favourites-in-bid-to-boost-front-office wrote:
      For a number of months, the word has been that Colangelo, the Raptors president and general manager, was considering, if the right candidate came along, dropping the GM portion of his portfolio – at least in title – and handing it to somebody else.
      http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/15...t-front-office

We'll see how it turns out. It sounds like Ed Stefanski from Philadelphia 76ers would be a good option. He helped NJ turn into two time conference champs. He could help make some good trades that could put us in a much better position. We would have Colangelo who overlooks the entire situation and approves such deals. This is a wonderful idea to bring in another GM to help out in the rebuilding stage.
      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post

We'll see how it turns out. It sounds like Ed Stefanski from Philadelphia 76ers would be a good option. He helped NJ turn into two time conference champs. He could help make some good trades that could put us in a much better position. We would have Colangelo who overlooks the entire situation and approves such deals. This is a wonderful idea to bring in another GM to help out in the rebuilding stage.
        While he did some good things in New Jersey, Stefanski was responsible for some pretty bad moves in Philly, including overpaying an injured Elton Brand, who didn't fit in with the style of play, trading Reggie Evans for Jason Kapono, nd signing Iguodala to that ridiculous contract.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

BC Boy wrote: View Post
          Link to full article

Even though I know very little about Lindsey, he is my choice based on the fact that he is associated with the Spurs. The article does say that he has turned down 2 other jobs in the past few years... why does he take this one? Especially if this is the case...
          Danny Ferry was also from the Spurs organization, and he did a horrible job in Cleveland. Lindsey might be a great choice, but just because he's from the Spurs organization doesn't make him the next RC Buford. Or Sam Presti.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Of these three:

Stefanski does not interest me for the reasons Tim mentioned and more. Here is his track record in Philadelphia:
            http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/ed_stefanski.htm In his defense, he did do a pretty good job in NJ.

There is nothing spectacular about Bower's tenure in NO:
            http://www.basketball-reference.com/...owerje99x.html

With BC having final say, I would not mind giving Lindsey a shot. However, he has turned down opportunities in PHX and MIN and would not be given full autonomy according to article so I am not sure he would be willing.

I'd much rather be talking about players than management though.

Comment

What is Bryan Colangelo if not President and GM of this team?

If he's looking to hire a GM, why is he making any comments or decisions on player personnel when a new GM would (should) have the autonomy to build this team as they see fit?

Why did he hire a new coach if he's looking for a new GM? Wouldn't that have been their first order of business?

What are we currently paying BC? I have heard no news of the financial details of his extension, but was he extended to be Presidnet/GM or just President of the team?

What GM in their right mind woud want the challenge of taking over this roster Colangelo has put together?

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                Danny Ferry was also from the Spurs organization, and he did a horrible job in Cleveland. Lindsey might be a great choice, but just because he's from the Spurs organization doesn't make him the next RC Buford. Or Sam Presti.
                'horrible??'
                TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post

In the Toronto Sun article you've posted it mentions that:

"That wouldn’t mean the new addition would have final say though. While a fan of a consensus, brainstorming approach, Colangelo has always been an executive who gets the final word and that would not change."

Is this a joke? You're hiring a GM that wouldn't have the final say on player personnel? What are you hiring a GM for, as precedence has indicted that is EXACTLY the job of the GM on the other 31 teams in the league.

LOL. This is getting to be comical and it amazes me why no one calls Colangelo out on this kind of stuff. To me it's a way of insualting oneself so when things are good (if they become good) they can take credit, but if things go awry they can blame the new guy, who in essence is an "idea contributor". lol

If Colangelo is the final word he should wear and continue to wear the GM hat and be responsible for this roster he has assembled. Bring in a consultant if you want more "brain storming". Hiring a GM who wouldn't have final say makes no sense to me and reeks of political posturing.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                    What is Bryan Colangelo if not President and GM of this team?

If he's looking to hire a GM, why is he making any comments or decisions on player personnel when a new GM would (should) have the autonomy to build this team as they see fit?

Why did he hire a new coach if he's looking for a new GM? Wouldn't that have been their first order of business?

What are we currently paying BC? I have heard no news of the financial details of his extension, but was he extended to be Presidnet/GM or just President of the team?

What GM in their right mind woud want the challenge of taking over this roster Colangelo has put together?
                    well, for starters, anyone who thinks that whatever 'GM' is hired is going to have any semblance of 'autonomy' or legit say in personnel simply has their head in the sand. which, IMO, rules out the only one of the above 3 i'd want as GM (Lindsay), because he's not leaving the spurs where, as an assistant GM, he has more authority than he will as 'GM' of the raptors. to me, the whole idea of BC hiring a GM (and remaining as president) is silly, since only those drunk on the kool-aid would think for a second that said GM would be anything more than a puppet/figure-head/lightning rod for criticism.
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

i'm no Colangelo hater, but for some reason this stinks of him hiring a scapegoat who'll be nothing more than his glorified understudy who takes all the media pressure off of him, while letting him still run the show from behind the curtain

Like, whoever is hired.... they're basically the US President.... and Colangelo is the big oil companies.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        i'm no Colangelo hater, but for some reason this stinks of him hiring a scapegoat who'll be nothing more than his glorified understudy who takes all the media pressure off of him, while letting him still run the show from behind the curtain

Like, whoever is hired.... they're basically the US President.... and Colangelo is the big oil companies.
                        I always thought it was the banks running the Oval office.

Comment

Bower seemed to have a positive buzz but I haven't really followed New Orleans that closely.

Stefanski is pretty much a train wreck. However, caveat: sometimes these guys get pressured or get in over their head.

Dunno anything about Lindsey. Keep in mind that Danny Ferry worked for RC Buford too.
                          your pal,
                          ebrian

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            I always thought it was the banks running the Oval office.
                            lol.... could be... but i was thinking specifically of George W Bush and the Gulf War when i typed that

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                              lol.... could be... but i was thinking specifically of George W Bush and the Gulf War when i typed that
                              Maybe for George Dub-ya but the banks are leading Owe-bama around by his male-bits.

Comment

Working...
                              X