Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    For the record, Ferry did a horrible job in Cleveland and should have been fired for incompetence long before he finally was. If you want a list of reasons he was horrible, I'm more than willing to give them.
    I mostly agree with you, although I wouldn't say horrible. To his credit, every trade and draft was to the idea of keeping Lebron happy. Didn't Ferry pretty much ask Lebron for his approval before any big trade?

A lot of people say that he should have got younger players to grow with Lebron like they're doing in OKC with Durant. The problem with that is they would have to be getting those young players through FA or trades cause I soon as Lebron was a Cav they weren't getting any more high draft picks.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Danny Ferry may well have been a decent gm without the Lebron factor. There is no question in my mind that LBJ was suggesting and approving personnel decisions for at least the last 3 years he was in Cleveland. BC to an extent suffered from that malady with the Raptors...trying the quick and expensive additions to appease the star without the long term in view.

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
        I mostly agree with you, although I wouldn't say horrible. To his credit, every trade and draft was to the idea of keeping Lebron happy. Didn't Ferry pretty much ask Lebron for his approval before any big trade?

A lot of people say that he should have got younger players to grow with Lebron like they're doing in OKC with Durant. The problem with that is they would have to be getting those young players through FA or trades cause I soon as Lebron was a Cav they weren't getting any more high draft picks.
        Whether or not he ask for LeBron's approval of every acquisition, it's ultimately Ferry's responsibility. I'm renovating our house at the moment and I have two young kids. If I ask them for their approval on everything, and it ends up being a disaster, it's not their fault. It's mine for giving two kids the final say on renovations.

The big problem I had was that Ferry built a team that simply wasn't sustainable since he kept getting veterans who were past their prime and with massive contracts. Ben Wallace, Shaq, Antwan Jamison. And the only "All-Star" he could surround LeBron with was Mo Williams, who wouldn't have been an All-Star on any other team. And acquiring him was probably his best move. There are a lot of things he did wrong, but probably his worst was giving a kid in his early 20's the final say on how to build the team.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Whether or not he ask for LeBron's approval of every acquisition, it's ultimately Ferry's responsibility. I'm renovating our house at the moment and I have two young kids. If I ask them for their approval on everything, and it ends up being a disaster, it's not their fault. It's mine for giving two kids the final say on renovations.

The big problem I had was that Ferry built a team that simply wasn't sustainable since he kept getting veterans who were past their prime and with massive contracts. Ben Wallace, Shaq, Antwan Jamison. And the only "All-Star" he could surround LeBron with was Mo Williams, who wouldn't have been an All-Star on any other team. And acquiring him was probably his best move. There are a lot of things he did wrong, but probably his worst was giving a kid in his early 20's the final say on how to build the team.
          Well hindsight is 20/20 but if I was in his shoes I would do anything to keep the best player in the NBA happy. Of course it didn't work anyway...but yknow. They came pretty damn close more than a couple times to winning a championship. Pretty much all his moves were "win now or bust." He was prob thinkin "I'll show LBJ we can win a ring and deal with this mess later." Which is actually what a lot of teams try to do.

That being said, I sure as hell wouldn't want him as the Raptors GM.
          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Employee wrote: View Post
            Well hindsight is 20/20 but if I was in his shoes I would do anything to keep the best player in the NBA happy. Of course it didn't work anyway...but yknow. They came pretty damn close more than a couple times to winning a championship. Pretty much all his moves were "win now or bust." He was prob thinkin "I'll show LBJ we can win a ring and deal with this mess later." Which is actually what a lot of teams try to do.

That being said, I sure as hell wouldn't want him as the Raptors GM.
            Hindsight is 20/20, but I never thought he was doing a good job, ever, and said so at numerous times during his tenure. Here and here, for example.

None of the successful GMs in charge of teams with Hall of Fame players gave final say to them. In fact, I know Jordan disagreed with Jerry Krause several times. Pat Riley would never ask his stars for approval, yet he was able to get LeBron from a team that did.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Source confirms Stefanski to interview for GM job with Toronto
              The source also said Stefanski is on a short list of candidates to become president of the Knicks.
              Stefanski had been president and GM since being hired by the club in December 2007, but was relegated to GM duties when Rod Thorn was brought in as president last summer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...#ixzz1SGvifpuf
              Last edited by jbml; Sat Jul 16, 2011, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Does this count as Colangelo firing himself or promoting himself?

Comment

The plan all along has been to remove himself from the General Manager position, so he can more fully focus on his position as President and CEO of the Organization. I don't think its either 'Firing' or 'Promoting'. It's simply better management.

But being President and CEO is better than being GM. So I guuess its a Promotion; but he already held the position.
                  Last edited by Joey; Sun Jul 17, 2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    The plan all along has been to remove himself from the General Manager position, so he can more fully focus on his position as President and CEO of the Organization. I don't think its either 'Firing' or 'Promoting'. It's simply better management.

But being President and CEO is better than being GM. So I guuess its a Promotion; but he already held the position.
                    i dunno about 'better' management. it's a different, and in keeping with what we see around the league. i'll look at it from a 'glass is half-full' perspective, and conclude that it's a matter of BC recognizing that he's not as brilliant a GM as he'd like to believe, and deciding that he needs 'help.'

of course, the 'glass-half-empty' part of me says, 'duh, but why does he - after what's been a futile 1/2-decade - now get MORE power/responsibility? i guess it pretty much eliminates embarassing power-plays from the board, now that he's in line to be a CEO. yip-fucking-eee
                    TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
                      i dunno about 'better' management. it's a different, and in keeping with what we see around the league. i'll look at it from a 'glass is half-full' perspective, and conclude that it's a matter of BC recognizing that he's not as brilliant a GM as he'd like to believe, and deciding that he needs 'help.'

of course, the 'glass-half-empty' part of me says, 'duh, but why does he - after what's been a futile 1/2-decade - now get MORE power/responsibility? i guess it pretty much eliminates embarassing power-plays from the board, now that he's in line to be a CEO. yip-fucking-eee
                      He's always been the CEO.

Only now he realizes that perhaps having 2 heads is better than one.

Rarely does it matter whether someone is GM or President, or even owner, when it comes to making deals.
                      Colangelo's name will still be the one attached to any trades or moves the club makes.
                      Just like in Dallas, where Mark Cuban is given ALL credit for deals, when Donnie Nelson is President and GM.
                      Or in other teams when the GM is given all credit, and the President and Owner just sit back and watch.

BC has got that itch to make moves, and you can be sure that he'll still be the one making them. Only now he'll have someone to answer the phones for him. haha

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        He's always been the CEO.
                        i had always heard/seen him referred to as the 'President & GM,' not CEO, though it may simply be a matter of semantics. the 'CEO' label conveys an aura of supreme authority, with greater ties to the ownership side, etc.
                        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

I'd feel better if we hired Kevin Pritchard.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            Bryan Colangelo has been in this situation for, although the role was reversed. In Phoenix, his dad called all the shots even though young Bryan was the "GM".
                            Good point. You can kind of see him wanting to be like his dad. Subconsciously, it's what he understands as success in this game.

Comment

I would have preferred Ujiri to anyone on this short-list, particularly if it's going to be an understudy position at least for a little while. I wonder if the idea of offering Ujiri a full GM title while he was here was ever discussed. But maybe Ujiri would rather move to another organization where he's starting fresh with more autonomy than he would have had here. For Bower and Lindsey, it would be so difficult to evaluate their track-record, and for Stefanski, the track record is really mixed. Although it's impossible to find a GM who doesn't have some bad trades or draft picks in their history. I think it's more important that you bring in a guy who will help create the right climate in the team: for a young team like the Raptors, that means a climate where hard work is rewarded with loyalty, and laziness or immaturity are punished.

It's actually a good time to be starting this search though, particularly if you're looking at poaching someone from another team. A cash-strapped team might put up less of a fight about losing an assistant GM if that guy is basically going to be sitting around doing little during the lockout year.

Comment

The truth is that no one knows who would make a good candidate for the Raptors. Fans like people they have heard of, but we know very little of how these guys produced, other than what little we've seen. Would Pritchard or Ujiri (who's got a job) or Stefanski make a good GM for the Raptors? Who knows. Pritchard apparently has some "personality" issues that Colangelo would probably not want, and rightly so. There are a multitude of skills that they would need, and being able to make trades is only one of them.
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X