Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official: Stefanski VP of Basketball Operations (#116)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I still like Pritchard, and want to be able to say we "Pritch-slapped" people when we rob them at the draft.

Comment

• Seeten haha thats pretty good. You just got Pritch slapped!

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        They need to get this done soon. It's dragged on way too long regardless of the lockout easing pressure. Ed is probably the best option out of what's realistically left for Toronto.
        i'll agree stefanski is the best which makes perfect sense that he'll end up going somehwere else.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Via Doug Smith:

With all this hullabaloo about a new front office body, it’s time to report what I heard from the highest of levels and you can take this to the bank as legit:

The search for a new employee is down to two at the moment; I didn’t get the names but if you were to think back, the four-man original list of Kevin Pritchard, Jeff Bower, Dennis Lindsay and Ed Stefanski.

Except that the timing for Stefanski didn’t work; there was noting about a “snag” or a “breakdown” in any chats, it just didn’t work.

(An aside: Stefanski’s departure from the Sixers the other day has everything to do with the economics of the time and the new ownership there; the thing here had nothing to do with it).

There is no timeline, but I would think they’d probably like to be ready to hit the ground running whenever things at the labour level get solved.

And – this might be most important – no one knows what the title will be so all this chatter about Bryan hiring a “general manager” may not prove to be true.

Colangelo is very much in charge, nothing is changing there; the job has not been offered to anyone although talks between Bryan and others continue. If he doesn’t see a good fit at the end, there’s no rush and he’ll open it up again.

It is, as we’ve been saying all along, a chance to add a voice to the front and, who knows, perhaps set up a succession plan.

Masai Urjuri left and never was replaced.

Maurizio Gherardini’s job description will change once the game returns.

Jim Kelly is in the same boat as Maurizio.

This is, as it always has been, all about Bryan adding some depth to his front office or, as it was put to me, “strengthening the bench.”

And that’s where we are with that.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...frivolity.html

Comment

• Stefanski In As VP

http://www.thescore.com/nba/articles...all-operations

The Toronto Raptors are finalizing a deal to hire Ed Stefanski as the Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Stefanski, who was released this month as the Philadelphia 76ers General Manager, would report to current Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo, with Colangelo still running basketball operations.

Stefanski still must meet with the Raptors as a formality, but the deal could be announced within the week.

so maybe bryan still will get someone else to be gm.

gm>Stefanski>COLANGELO

it can't be

colangelo>stefanski>colangelo
            makes no sense

unless his dad is coming out of retirement.
            Last edited by LBF; Wed Oct 26, 2011, 01:45 PM. Reason: time to re-sticky this thread.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              http://www.thescore.com/nba/articles...all-operations

so maybe bryan still will get someone else to be gm.

gm>Stefanski>COLANGELO

it can't be

colangelo>stefanski>colangelo
              makes no sense

unless his dad is coming out of retirement.

He would be filling the role that was vacated when Masai Ujiri left for Denver, makes sense to me.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Seems his duties are still a bit vague. Maybe BC is trying to match the chefs in Brian Burke's kitchen.

Mind parking the beemer Ed?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
                  Stefanski is definitely the best out of the three.

but, i think b.c. needs help with the trade front. he's a better drafter than the both of them combined. but, he has difficulty not trading draft picks and has been the loser on too many trades in recent years.

the only big name trade that he has come out on top in since being here was for marion and it wasn't by leaps and bounds.

the only busts he's selected in 1st round have been zarko cablahblah,kirk snyder and joey graham compared to his sucessful ones (nash, marion,stoudemire,derozan, etc.)

he just needs someone to tell him to chill on the unknown,unproven overseas players and the huge risk trades.
                  The more people in the room talking him down off the ledge when he wants to put it all on red the better. Like LBF said, Colangelo has no problems drafting great talent but he's just too damn risky on the trade front. I see where he's coming from but when you lose that many times at the table, time to go for some reduced risk plays. With a better CBA there won't be as many risky contracts out there for him to take on... Fingers crossed.

One more point. Ed has a fairly good recent draft history as well in the first round. Young @ 12, excellent pick. Speights @ 16, good pick. Holiday @ 17, excellent pick. Evan Turner @ 2? Well, while the jury is out on that one, Turner was going #2 no matter who was sitting there. He has all the talent in the world to work out well. I don't think you can fault him on that one and Turner is still very new to the league. He may have a breakout sophomore season. Here's a question, who on the 76ers do you think me might like to pry away?

One more note. Ed is taking the role of "VP" and so I updated the thread title.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    The more people in the room talking him down off the ledge when he wants to put it all on red the better. Like LBF said, Colangelo has no problems drafting great talent but he's just too damn risky on the trade front. I see where he's coming from but when you lose that many times at the table, time to go for some reduced risk plays. With a better CBA there won't be as many risky contracts out there for him to take on... Fingers crossed.

One more point. Ed has a fairly good recent draft history as well in the first round. Young @ 12, excellent pick. Speights @ 16, good pick. Holiday @ 17, excellent pick. Evan Turner @ 2? Well, while the jury is out on that one, Turner was going #2 no matter who was sitting there. He has all the talent in the world to work out well. I don't think you can fault him on that one and Turner is still very new to the league. He may have a breakout sophomore season. Here's a question, who on the 76ers do you think me might like to pry away?

One more note. Ed is taking the role of "VP" and so I updated the thread title.
                    doug smith said we had interest in a backup two guard of there's. that's gritty. he couldn't remember his name though

Comment

• Bryan Colangelo finally has another voice to add to the chorus in the Raptors front office.

Fulfilling a promise he made a few months ago, Colangelo, the Raptors president and general manager, has added an experienced voice to his staff with the addition of Ed Stefanski as the team’s new executive vice-president of basketball operations.

According to several sources, the Raptors could formally introduce the former general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers and a long-time NBA executive as early as Thursday morning.

Stefanski’s specific duties remain unclear — the team had no official comment on the impending addition — but he will report to Colangelo in a changed Toronto front office.

The married father of four, who worked almost a decade with the New Jersey Nets before joining the Sixers, joins what will be an entirely revamped Raptors front office whenever the 2011-12 NBA season begins.

Maurizio Gherardini, Toronto’s senior vice-president at the start of last season, will have new duties — based in Europe, according to a source — and senior director of scouting Jim Kelly will also have a new job description. Both were given one-year contract extensions last summer, after Colangelo had decided to add a new face to the team’s hierarchy.

Add in the departure of Masai Ujiri, who left as director of global scouting in Toronto to become the executive vice-president of basketball operations for the Denver Nuggets and there are holes to be filled.

Former head coach Jay Triano has been bumped upstairs as a consultant to Colangelo and Marc Eversley remains as assistant general manager and one of Colangelo’s most trusted advisers, but there has been a void to be filled.

But even with the new structure, there will be little substantial change to Colangelo’s role. He will still have the final say in all significant player transactions while having a hand in almost everything to do with the basketball side of the operations

Stefanski has been long linked to the Raptors job. He, San Antonio Spurs executive Dennis Lindsay, New Orleans general manager Jeff Bower and Kevin Pritchard, a former Portland executive and current front office employee of the Indiana Pacers, were the four most reported names in Colangelo’s search.

Stefanski was fired by Philadelphia’s new owners last week after months of speculation. He had been with the team since December 2007, and had lost the title of president in 2010 when the club hired his former boss, Rod Thorn, from the Nets.

Stefanski’s notable moves in his four years as a Sixers executive include signing Andre Iguodala and Elton Brand to long-term contracts and bringing back Allen Iverson. He also fired coaches Maurice Cheeks and Eddie Jordan before hiring Doug Collins last season.

Stefanski was Nets general for three years prior to joining the Sixers and co-ordinated the trade that saw Vince Carter leave the Raptors.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...o-front-office

Another experienced NBA voice in the front office is fine by me. I hope someone is able to control the free agent and extension contract offers though.

Comment

• Official: Raptors Add Stefanski to Basketball Operations Staff

The Toronto Raptors announced Wednesday they have hired Ed Stefanski as the team’s executive vice president of basketball operations. Stefanski joins the Raptors from upper management positions with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Nets, where his teams qualified for the NBA playoffs in eight of the past nine seasons. In his position, Stefanski will report to Raptors President and General Manager Bryan Colangelo.

“Ed Stefanski embodies everything I was hoping to attain when the search began for a top level basketball executive to join our staff,” said Colangelo. “Ed brings to the table experience, smarts, and a great feel for the game and of people.”

“I am very excited to join Bryan Colangelo and the Raptors organization,” Stefanski said. “Toronto is a world class city and the Raptors fans are strong supporters.

“The team has a young nucleus of players that have a big upside. And with the addition of Head Coach Dwane Casey I am looking forward to witnessing their growth and improvement.”

Stefanski, who has earned a reputation throughout the NBA as an excellent evaluator of talent, spent the past four seasons in a president and general manager role with Philadelphia. With the 76ers, Stefanski returned the franchise to playoff status via trades, the re-signing of key performers and the acquisition of athletic, younger players in the NBA Draft. Despite having only mid-first round picks in three of his four drafts, Stefanski was able to add lottery-level talent to the team.

Prior to joining Philadelphia, Stefanski spent nine seasons with the Nets. He was promoted to general manager of the club in the summer of 2004 following a one-year stint as the team’s senior vice president of basketball operations and four seasons as the team's director of scouting.

While with the Nets, Stefanski oversaw the team's basketball operations and was heavily involved in the club’s roster development and player personnel matters. He helped to build New Jersey’s back-to-back Eastern Conference Championship teams in 2002 and 2003.

A 1976 graduate of the University of Pennsylvania (Wharton School of Business), Stefanski played three seasons for Penn, where he was coached by Hall-of-Famer Chuck Daley. Stefanski was a member of two Ivy League Champions (1974 and 1975), helping the Quakers reach the NCAA Tournament in both of those seasons. In 1979, Stefanski also began a 20-year run as a colour analyst for Big Five basketball and ESPN’s Atlantic 10 basketball coverage.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/News/rapt...ki_102611.html
                        Well, that ends 5 months of speculation.

Comment

• i feel this should be colangelo's theme song

maybe someone can finally talk him down.

Comment

• Comment

• hey is that marlon wayans? haha that dude is hilarious

Comment

• no

Comment

Working...
                                X