Casey Aims To Make Toronto An Attractive Destination For NBA Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casey Aims To Make Toronto An Attractive Destination For NBA Players

Raptors fans have watched players such as Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, and Chris Bosh leave for greener pastures, leaving the franchise barren of stars. While DeRozan, Davis, and Bargnani make up a young, talented core, the team desperately needs direction.

“The misnomer that you are in Canada and not in the States is totally misplaced,’’ new coach Dwane Casey. “Because it’s a great sports city. I can’t imagine if you turn the program around how exciting it would be. It’s a melting pot for anybody. But a lot of times players just come there in the dead of winter and don’t really get a taste of the city. That’s one thing that’s going to be our mission, is to try to change that image and go back to my recruiting days at Kentucky, and try to recruit.’’
    Casey Aims To Make Toronto An Attractive Destination For NBA Players - RealGM Wiretap

Rapture for Casey in getting another shot - The Boston Globe

Saw this earlier today, nice read.

Comment

It won't be an easy job, getting love for Toronto from American players. It is an irrational thing. Players love coming to this town for games because the restaurants are fantastic and, apparently, the women are available. Never been my experience, but I am not a professional athlete. Anyway, it will take a serious winning franchise to attract players. When we are winning they will come, when we are losing they will leave. Other than McGrady, who has amounted to being the best player on the losing team his whole career, the other players left because the team sucked. If we had pieces around Bosh, he may have stayed, media whore that he is. Vince whined about losing. Antonio Davis was willing to stay for the money in spite of centimeters and grams.

The biggest impediment to Canada seems to be the one-sided refereeing that always goes against us. If we get a true reputation as a tight defensive team, then we might get a little bit of the Boston advantage. Amir Johnson would not have had a fouling problem at all playing in Boston. In Toronto, he was getting bad calls on him every game.

Comment

Well once we win games and Demar explodes next year, players will want to play here.

Comment

If Casey wants to seriously recruit NBA talent he needs to have a dedicated VIP room at For Your Eyes Only complete with a vaporizer. It would also help if the locker rooms at the ACC had poles for the Raptor Dance Pack.

I think Toronto needs an NFL team and a championship for one of its teams this century for it to be considered a great sports city. It's a pretty darn good sports city right now, but an NFL team and maybe a 2nd NHL team would make it one of the best if not the best.
          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

Apparently Toronto is one of the favorite stops for visiting players because of everything the city has to offer.

Comment

Read up on 'White Vegas'.

Apparently its the reason behind Chris Bosh' success while with the Raptors. haha

Comment

ROTFLMAO White Vegas!!!!
                WTF is with the guy at the end.
                Did he just walk out of a titty bar?
                That could explain his reaction to being on camera!
                We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

"It’s no wonder Raptors fans have become jaded. They have watched players such as Damon Stoudamire, Marcus Camby, Vince Carter, and Chris Bosh leave for greener pastures, leaving the franchise barren of stars."

I see the point of the argument but could the author have not thrown us a bone by pointing out that those greener pastures turned out to be a bit more brown and weedy?

Comment

Thank You, Casey.

I like this guy already. I don't want to hear we will instead focus on international players, like I have heard in the past. Not that the strategy is bad, it certainly needs to be employed we need all the help we can get, but I WANTED Bryan to bring us respectability! Not distance us as some Euro North team. I felt that on the surface, our POSTURE and SOUND BITES did matter to free agents. Our Chief re-iterating that Toronto is not attractive to American players only made me shake my head.

I think the culture and prevailing thought can be changed, just as it was in Baseball with the Jays, and don't kid yourself and think that the the Jays did not feel the isolation, it wasn't easy street for them either, remember Doyle Alexander, you just have to keep looking forward and not let side actors derail you.

...but it has to come from the top, our GM needs to keep re-iterating that TORONTO, is there for the taking to an athlete that knows how to play the game. It is the creme of the markets, if you are the right talent, we will give you a stage to the world, and we certainly HAVE that capacity and that can't ever be taken away from us.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Mon Jul 18, 2011, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Gordon likes "White Vegas"

Me to Eric Gordon: "I live in Toronto and cover the Raptors for the Italian media" Gordon: "I like Toronto. It's one my favorite Nba cities"
                      Source: @Gal_Adri

Comment

I don't think any star player has left Toronto cause he disliked the city. In most cases, they left Toronto cause the team sucked and was going nowhere (VC, Bosh, Damon). The only outlier was McGrady and he left cause he was an idiot.

If Casey wants to recruit players the first step of the plan would be the Raptors not sucking for once. That would be a welcome change for fans, too.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          I don't think any star player has left Toronto cause he disliked the city. In most cases, they left Toronto cause the team sucked and was going nowhere (VC, Bosh, Damon). The only outlier was McGrady and he left cause he was an idiot.

If Casey wants to recruit players the first step of the plan would be the Raptors not sucking for once. That would be a welcome change for fans, too.
                          He was young. Spent most of his time inside his Queens Quay apartment playing vids. A friend of mine had the penthouse above his pad. Used to look down at his balcony and see the DTV dish and DISH network, all the signs of someone missing home. When he was in the elevator, he hardly ever looked up always look down on his shoes and was as quite as a mouse. He was usually alone, no entourage.

He has admitted that he did not give this city a chance, and spent too much time isolating himself. I never saw his off-court personality till he was with the magic, he just did not have much of it here. I think it was just a case of maturity for him. Becoming a man, and being more secure with himself.
                          Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed Jul 20, 2011, 11:33 AM.

Comment

MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
                            He was young. Spent most of his time inside his Queens Quay apartment playing vids. A friend of mine had the penthouse above his pad. Used to look down at his balcony and see the DTV dish and DISH network, all the signs of someone missing home. When he was in the elevator, he hardly ever looked up always look down on his shoes and was as quite as a mouse. He was usually alone, no entourage.

He has admitted that he did not give this city a chance, and spent too much time isolating himself. I never saw his off-court personality till he was with the magic, he just did not have much of it here. I think it was just a case of maturity for him. Becoming a man, and being more secure with himself.
                            McGrady left because he was a little bitch. The Raptors gave him 2 years with a sports psychologist so he could adjust to playing in the NBA and away from home. I think you may be giving him too much credit and letting him off the hook a little easy.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
                              McGrady left because he was a little bitch. The Raptors gave him 2 years with a sports psychologist so he could adjust to playing in the NBA and away from home. I think you may be giving him too much credit and letting him off the hook a little easy.
                              I really don't understand why sportstars (and other celebrities) need to be judged so hard all the time. He was about 20 years old. Normal 20 year-olds are allowed to make mistakes (or do thing you don't like) and (after some time) get a new start and be forgiven. I know it's just a forum and we are not talking to him directly, but why so rancorous?

Comment

Working...
                              X