Raptors Showing Interest In Ed Stefanski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    The Pacers were really destroyed by the aftermath of the Detroit fight. Even though that's about 7 years ago, I don't think you can put it as simply as saying "he was really good at keeping the Pacers out of the playoffs for like 5 years." Besides, he isn't going to jump for joy to go from team president of the Pacers to (assistant?) gm of the Raptors.
    I know that's the reason they didn't get anywhere. But IMO finishing 9th four years in a row is the worst place for a GM. Even last year they had a losing record and I would hesitate to say their future looks bright.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      The big difference between Colangelo and Grunwald is that Colangelo is able to put out his fires when he takes gambles.
      The big difference between Colangelo and Grunwald is:

Colangelo: 190-246 (0.436), 2 playoff appearances, 2 Eastern Conference First Round
      Grunwald: 211-241 (0.467), 3 playoff appearances, 2 Eastern Conference First Round, 1 Eastern Conference Semifinals

Colangelo's winning percentage will fall further this season.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

Yeah and what did Grunwald do? Give everybody huge contracts with no vision of the future. Where did that land the Raptors? In the basement for five years. You're also neglecting everything else Colangelo did in his career.

Comment

What he did after that game seven killed what he accomplished before. He buckled under the pressure of Vince Carter and gave everybody big bloated contracts that killed the team long term. A lot of people like to throw Babcock under the bus for the Hoffa pick and the Carter trade and rightfully so BUT his life was infinitely more difficult than Colangelo's. Babcock had to deal with the mess left by Grunwald for years. A mess that never really got totally cleaned up until 2006. If you wouldn't give a contractor a pat on the back for building you a nice looking house... With a botched wiring job which caused it to burn to the ground and left you homeless for four years then I can't see how you can call this man the best GM in Raptors history. He caused more long term pain than his short term gain. Ever wonder why teams weren't lined up to sign him when the axe fell in Toronto?

The big difference between Colangelo and Grunwald is that Colangelo is able to put out his fires when he takes gambles.
          "He buckled under the pressure of Vince Carter".. huh? He signed Alvin Williams ($7M a year I believe. I believe at the time, people were quite pleased with this re-signing) and JYD ($42M over 6 years. $7M a year as well.) to long term contracts; both of whom were CRUCIAL to our Extended Playoff run. At the time, I don't remember too many people finding fault in these signing.
          They both deserved the contracts they were given. Alvin Williams is to this day one of the most beloved Raptors ever, so I'm not sure you can fault GG for that one either. JYD was the heart and hustle of our team.
          Whether or not they played up too those contracts in future, cannot be placed on GGs shoulders.

Besides these two signing, (which at the time, I remember being hailed); what is this mess you refer too, that Grunwald "left" for Babcock? What are the 'gambles' that didn't pay off?

We lost the best player this Franchise has ever had. THATS why we spent some time in the basement. Most teams go through that when they lose a perenial All-Star. Like we're doing right now, only people seem to want to STAY in the basement.
          Last edited by Joey; Thu Jul 21, 2011, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah and what did Grunwald do? Give everybody huge contracts with no vision of the future. Where did that land the Raptors? In the basement for five years. You're also neglecting everything else Colangelo did in his career.
            Like what? This Ed Stefanski (or whichever puppet they end up hiring) will have the exact same role than BC had in Phoenix, where his father made all the final decisions. Bryan Colangelo's entire career as the real decision maker is what he's done with the Raptors, and that has amounted to a losing record and two one-and-done playoff appearances. Glen Grunwald made some mistakes (I thought the JYD extension was horrible), but he's still fared better than BC.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

Grunwald did an okay job in Toronto. He made his mistakes like any other GM (JYD extension, Olajuwon signing)but you can't blame him for the gong show that Vince Carter evolved into, which is ultimately what led to our franchise bottoming out for a few seasons. At the time, every GM in the league would have told you that building around Carter was a winning formula and that's exactly what GG did. He got unlucky when VC morphed into such a problem seemingly overnight.

Also, I'm surprised that Colangelo still has as many supporters in the Raptors fanbase that he does.
              Last edited by Fully; Mon Jul 25, 2011, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X