Bonner Still Can't Play for Team Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

octothorp wrote: View Post
    Yes and no. Definitely if you want to come to Canada to live and work, gaining citizenship is far easier than most countries. But if you want to live abroad and still gain Canadian citizenship as Bonner does, it's far more difficult than some european countries who allow decedents of citizens to apply for citizenship, even if they don't reside in that country. (I know this is the policy in Belgium, and have heard anecdotally that other countries have similar policies.) Most have language conditions as well, but for Bonner that's clearly not an issue.
    I actually wish it was far more difficult for people to immigrate to Canada. I don't want exceptions for celebrities or law changes to fit in with Belgium or wherever. I want Canada to have it's own policies which are right for this country.

There is a lockout right now and he's been done his season for months. One would think this would be an ample opportuntity for him to try and establish Canada as his "permanent address." It probably won't work but who knows, if the league is out for a whole season you never know.

Comment

All that I'm expecting is the rubber stamp to happen. The government can sidestep its own policies and protocalls. It happens every single day. All things considered, Matt Bonner is the type of person you want to have as a fellow citizen. Make it so!

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
        All that I'm expecting is the rubber stamp to happen. The government can sidestep its own policies and protocalls. It happens every single day. All things considered, Matt Bonner is the type of person you want to have as a fellow citizen. Make it so!
        the rubber stamp is easy... all you gotta do is show up at the airport with a valid passport and no bombs.

unless you're mexican

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          the rubber stamp is easy... all you gotta do is show up at the airport with a valid passport and no bombs.

unless you're mexican

Well I guess Im S.O.L.

Comment

Working...
          X