DeRozan Taking Part in Drew Vs. Goodman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeRozan Taking Part in Drew Vs. Goodman

Each summer the Goodman League in Washington, D.C. hosts NBA stars and streetball legends as one of the most well-known summer leagues in the country. Across the United States in Los Angeles, the Drew League does virtually the same. From Kevin Durant and DeMarcus Cousins in D.C. to DeMar DeRozan and James Harden in L.A., the leagues have been the talk of the summer. So when Durant put on another show, but this time in the Drew League and not the Goodman League last month, he raised a question: Which league is better?

“Our fans want to see it because we want to beat them and have bragging rights,” says Mac Williams, webmaster of the Goodman League. “We want to be able to say we beat L.A., we beat California. And California wants to be able to say we came to D.C. and we kicked y’alls heads. It’s for the grassroots, down-earth, everyday rabid basketball, streetball, high school ball, college ball fan. This is a game that we’ve never had before. It’s a mega-game.”
    On August 20, the basketball world is set to find out which league is better. It’ll be the Goodman League vs. the Drew League. East Coast vs. West Coast. D.C. vs. L.A. And the name of possibly the most anticipated matchup of the summer? Capital Punishment. The game will be played at 6:30 p.m. at D.C.’s Coolidge High School and will feature a mixture of NBA and non-NBA players.

Players on the Goodman side will include Durant, Cousins, John Wall, Ty Lawson, Gary Neal, Tyreke Evans, Michael Beasley, Josh Selby, Sam Young, Donte Greene, Hugh “Baby Shaq” Jones, Emanuel “Duce” Jones, and Warren “D-Nice” Jefferson. For the Drew: Harden, DeRozan, Nick Young, Dorell Wright, Brandon Jennings, JaVale McGee, Craig Smith, Pooh Jeter, Bobby Brown, Marcus Williams, and three players yet to be named.
    ESPN is interested in televising the game, and Baron Davis is likely to coach and potentially play for the Drew League, says Smiley. It will be streamed on TheBasketballChannel.net, but you can pay $25 to watch it live.
    Source: Dimemag.com

The Goodman All-Stars seem like a deeper team but this is street ball so who knows.

The best $25 dollar sports ticket ever! I'll definitely be streaming it!
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I wonder if they'll have play by play?

Comment

hold up, is this going to be live on TV? i gotta watch this

Comment

Goodman is definitely taking this, Durant or not.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't know, it's a different kind of game.

Comment

I just saw a video on the web of Lebron at a Drew league game. He was there with Baron BD Davis. Who here thinks he could be one of the three unnamed players for Team Go Ham. If so that would fun. A chance to see DeMar and LeBron team up outside the NBA.

Here is the video.

We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

It would be a chance to see James Vs. Durant.

Comment

With all of the coverage of the insurance issues involved with NBA players participating in FIBA tournaments this summer, it makes me wonder what happens if an NBA player under contract sustains a serious injury during the lockout in one of these summer league games?

Comment

They participate every year lockout or not so I would tend to think that they can be insured to play in these events.

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                      With all of the coverage of the insurance issues involved with NBA players participating in FIBA tournaments this summer, it makes me wonder what happens if an NBA player under contract sustains a serious injury during the lockout in one of these summer league games?
                      Alot of these guys have "For the love of the game" clauses in their contracts.
                      Michael Jordan was the first to include this, and ever since, most/all contracts come with it included.

It basically says that these guys can play hoops whenever, wherever they want, without risk of losing out on money if there were to be an injury.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Alot of these guys have "For the love of the game" clauses in their contracts.
                        Michael Jordan was the first to include this, and ever since, most/all contracts come with it included.

It basically says that these guys can play hoops whenever, wherever they want, without risk of losing out on money if there were to be an injury.
                        I wasn't aware of this clause, thanks. Without a CBA, wouldn't this coverage in the lockout be an area of contention should a serious injury occur, since all wages, benefits, and insurance are at least temporarily suspended? The other question this leads to is why wouldn't this "love of the game" clause cover Joel Anthony playing with Team Canada this summer, for instance?

Comment

stretch wrote: View Post
                          I wasn't aware of this clause, thanks. Without a CBA, wouldn't this coverage in the lockout be an area of contention should a serious injury occur, since all wages, benefits, and insurance are at least temporarily suspended? The other question this leads to is why wouldn't this "love of the game" clause cover Joel Anthony playing with Team Canada this summer, for instance?
                          The clause only applies to Pick-up style games, Celebrity charity games, etc, I believe.

International competition is unfortunately a whole other beast.
                          Because FIBA is an entity on its own, and they have an agreement with the NBA that basically says the team needs to give full permission. If the team isn't given full permission from the NBA club, they can offer an insurance package that would compensate the NBA club if the player is injured.

With the lockout, the players essentially don't have a signed contract, so they can do whatever they want.
                          They are still part of the Union, but because they've been locked out, and didn't "walk out", they are able to find employment wherever they like.

The Raptors had a similar deal with Spain when Garbojosa wanted to play right after his BRUTAL injury.
                          The Raptors wouldn't let him play without an Insurance package. Low and behold, he hurt himself even more, and never returned to the NBA.

With these Pick-up 'Leagues', I imagine there is a bit of contention as to the fact that they simply wouldn't be able to compensate a club due to injury to a given player. I think in that situation, the Team and Player would work something out, with the League completely free of retribution.

Comment

From SI.com:

The game has presented obstacles for the players, too. While Drew and Goodman are both free for fans on a normal weekend, this will be a paid exhibition (tickets range from $25 to $60). As such, one involved agent said the players' respective contracts aren't covered by their "For Love of the Game" clause with their NBA teams and a separate insurance policy will be needed in order for them to play.
                            So I guess it only covers any game in which the proceeds (if there are any) are going to charity.

Comment

Working...
                            X