Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking back at the picks over the past decade...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking back at the picks over the past decade...

Pretty sad actually... These were our 8 picks

#8- Rafael Araujo
    Was there really any doubt? Araujo was taken with the 8th pick in the 2004 draft with players like Andre Iguodala and Josh Smith on the board. Yeah, really not a very good pick.

#7- Michael Bradley
    Bradley had a solid career lined up, but injuries took a toll on game and he was never the same. He was picked 17th in the 2001 draft so the Raps weren’t expecting a star anyway.

#6- Joey Graham
    Graham was pretty much the only player received from the Vince Carter trade, but he didn’t fill Carter’s shoes very well. He was picked 16th back in 2005, and Danny Granger was picked 17th. Ouch.

#5- Charlie Villanueva
    Charlie V has had a decent career so far, but not 7th pick worthy. He had a very solid rookie season with Toronto, and then was traded to the Bucks for TJ Ford. Not a bad pick here.

#4- Andrea Bargnani
    I don’t think it is safe to say that Andrea Bargnani is a bust quite yet, but he certainly hasn’t lived up to his first overall selection status. Bargnani has shown that he can be a very good offensive player, but his effort defensively and on the glass just isn’t good enough. Still, I can see where Colangelo was coming from with the pick.

#3- Ed Davis
    Ed Davis could end up much higher on this list down the road, but for now we’ll leave him here. Davis was a top 5 talent coming into the draft, but slipped because of his injuries. Davis was definitely a steal at 13, and an awesome pick by BC.

#2- DeMar DeRozan
    Right now, DeMar DeRozan is looking like a future all-star. When you are getting that out of the 9th overall pick, you know you have struck gold.

#1- Chris Bosh
    Like it or not Raptors fans, Chris Bosh has been the Raps best draft selection this past decade. Bosh was the only real star the Raptors have had in the past 10 years, and drafting him at the #4 slot was pretty much a no brainer for the team.

Here's the full article if anyone's interested
    http://www.raptorscage.com/20110725-...e-past-decade/

Im sure Morris Peterson with the 21st pick in 2000 has to be right up there too.

Comment

If you took the time to compare the Raptors to other teams you'd see that they've done alright.

Comment

The Araujo pick ranks amongst the worst in the entire league for the past decade, let alone the Raps. Just an all around disaster. Not only did they draft a complete shlub but they reached 15 spots or so too high to do it. If they were determined to grab a centre and wanted Araujo so badly then they could have at least traded down and picked up another asset in the process. Of course, that leads to the question of why anyone would have become so enamored with Hoffa in the first place. He had one good college season in a conference that had very few quality big men and was two years older then the average senior when he did it.
        If they had grabbed Iguodola here, I honestly think the arc of the franchise would have been drastically different over the past 8 years. Josh Smith looks like a good pick in hindsight, but in the interest of fairness he was considered to be a pretty risky pick at the time. Hence him falling to 17th overall.

Charlie V was actually a pretty good pick for the Raps when you put it in perspective. Take a look at some of the players drafted before (Martell Webster, Marvin Williams) and shortly after him (Channing Frye, Ike Diogu, Fran Vasquez, Yaroslev Koralev, Sean May, Rashad McCants, Antoine Wright all in the lottery) and you'll realize that CV was a better pick than he is at first glance. That being said, I think Villanueava is an assclown and I don't miss him at all, but at least we got a solid season out of him and a nice haul in return for him when he was traded.

All in all the Raptors haven't done a bad job of drafting over the past ten years.

Comment

EuroBaller wrote: View Post
          Im sure Morris Peterson with the 21st pick in 2000 has to be right up there too.
          If it were the history of the Raptors or last 15 years perhaps but seeing as how the topic is decade Mo Pete doesn't apply.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
            If it were the history of the Raptors or last 15 years perhaps but seeing as how the topic is decade Mo Pete doesn't apply.
            Mo Pete was drafted in 2001. Ten Years ago.

(Hrmm Nevermind, 2000.) Still, he was on the 2001 All-Rookie team.
            Mo Pete is All-Raptor.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              If you took the time to compare the Raptors to other teams you'd see that they've done alright.
              We've done alright, but we don't stand out as being particularly good either, over the past 10 years.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I wouldnt exactly call the bosh pick no brainer..... after all Wade is a million times better & was drfted 5th right after bosh.........

Comment

Wasn't the whole Bosh vs Wade pick a moot point because we had Carter at the time, and as a team they didn't know that Carter was going to bail on them a few months later?

In hindsight we should have traded Carter to the heat for Wade, so we would have Wade and Bosh. But that would have been an ingenious move by Grunwald.

Comment

EuroBaller wrote: View Post
                    mo pete wasn't picked by the Raps, traded to on draft night.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      We've done alright, but we don't stand out as being particularly good either, over the past 10 years.
                      The list is flawed though. You need to draw a line in the sand between GM's. I think we should critique 2006-Present. If you do that then in terms of 1st round picks the Raptors are above average when considering where each pick was selected and who was taken in proximity to them.

From 2004-2005 was bad plain and simple. Babcock drafted two guys with a lot of promise. One turned out to be a dud, an end of the rotation player at best. The other turned out be be a highly talented player who seems to have self motivational issues. Then you had Hoffa who was a complete bust.

2003 saw Bosh drafted. The Raptors just missed Melo and Wade went right after Bosh. It was a good draft. Grunwald made a good pick all in all.

Comment

Thesachman wrote: View Post
                        mo pete wasn't picked by the Raps, traded to on draft night.
                        I don't recall that... I recall Jamal Magloire going 20 to Charlotte though one pick ahead of the Raps.

Comment

Mo Pete was drafted by Toronto.

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                            I don't recall that... I recall Jamal Magloire going 20 to Charlotte though one pick ahead of the Raps.
                            yes, that was one of the best lines from the show!

i always enjoy when he shouts "I'm Kenny Powers!!!"

as for this thread. I also think you should go to draft express and look up how highly touted a prspect they we're and whether it was believed that guys who blosomed into stars behind them ala danny granger, we're expected to be better.
                            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Mo Pete was drafted in 2001. Ten Years ago.

(Hrmm Nevermind, 2000.) Still, he was on the 2001 All-Rookie team.
                              Mo Pete is All-Raptor.
                              So that would be 11 years no?

Comment

Working...
                              X