Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 NBA Draft Lottery Re-Drafted

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=20461

The sad thing is that in 2006, on draft night, Colangelo was trying to get a 2nd pick in position to claim Rondo but couldn't get a deal done.

The Hawks were one of the other rumored lotto teams interested in Bargnani.

Comment

Hmmm. I'm one of those guys that woulda taken LA over Rondo.
      Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

My impression of Rondo is that he would not be the player that he is if he was drafted by a different team. The reason Rondo is so good is because of the talent around him. It is easy to pile up assists when you have players like Allen, Pierce and Garnet to pass to. As for rebounds, that is also easier when the Celtics do an outstanding job on boxing out, and a lot of the rebounds that Rondo gets are freebies.

I'm not saying that he's not a worthy all-star. I think he's a great player, but on a team like the Raptors I really don't see him being as good as he is on the Celtics.

My vote would have been for Aldridge as well.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          My impression of Rondo is that he would not be the player that he is if he was drafted by a different team. The reason Rondo is so good is because of the talent around him. It is easy to pile up assists when you have players like Allen, Pierce and Garnet to pass to. As for rebounds, that is also easier when the Celtics do an outstanding job on boxing out, and a lot of the rebounds that Rondo gets are freebies.

I'm not saying that he's not a worthy all-star. I think he's a great player, but on a team like the Raptors I really don't see him being as good as he is on the Celtics.

i don't think you're writing what you mean. If you thought he was a great player he should be able to put up nearly the same numbers here as he would in boston.

i think you'll agree with me(maybe not) when i say he's a good player on a great team
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Rondo's biggest asset isn't even in his play making ability, which is great. It's his defense. The guy is the best defensive PG in the league hands down.

Comment

The thing I hate about articles like this one, is that facts/viewpoints constantly change. For example, until everybody found out that Roy's knees were shot, there were growing hysterics about why the Raptors picked Bargnani over Roy. Today it's another player that the Raptors should have picked... if Rondo develops chronic injuries or the Celtics big-3's decline continues, there'll be another "shoulda, coulda, woulda" player de jour... Plus, considering a Raptors team without Bosh is a further unfair use of hindsight...

For me, the 2006 draft came down to a choice between Bargnani and Roy. Roy was the superior wing player, with both skills and ceiling expected to exceed both Gay and Foye. Aldridge was the superior big, but the Raptors had been chastised in the past for drafting backup PF with high draft picks (Charlie V, anybody?) to play behind Bosh, so he was all but out.

I think it came down to supply & demand; there are a lot more athletic wing players available via trade, free agency and drafting, than there are Nowitski clones... as Bargnani was being touted back then, given his size and skill set. Very few players are drafted with a look at defense over offense, so it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise that 5 years later, Bargnani is an offensively skilled big with significant defensive/rebounding deficiencies.

The only legit "do over" scenario I could believe is the drafting of Roy, but look where that would have taken the team! It is totally unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Gay/Foye over Roy, unless you magically knew his knees were going to give out. It's just as unfair to say the Raptors should have drafted Aldridge, unless you magically knew Bosh would leave the team four seasons later! And players like Rondo, who slide past every team and weren't a legit discussion for the top pick at the time, is complete unrealistic 20/20 hindsight (without even taking into account the fact that I personally think Rondo is extremely overrated).
              Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jul 26, 2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Rondo's biggest asset isn't even in his play making ability, which is great. It's his defense. The guy is the best defensive PG in the league hands down.
                Agreed with no signs of anyone taking that title from him in the near future. Only guy who I think could even come close would be Westbrook.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

Not to mention the positive influence that Doc Rivers has had on Rondo's game as well.

Comment

RAPresenting wrote: View Post
                    Agreed with no signs of anyone taking that title from him in the near future. Only guy who I think could even come close would be Westbrook.
                    See, I've always thought that Rondo's defense was more hype than substance. Heck, just watching Raptors-Celtics games the past few seasons, I've thought even a PG like Calderon more than held his own against Rondo. Rondo looks good defensively because he cheats and aggressively goes for turnovers, which he can only do because he's always got 2/3 mammoth beasts protecting the paint behind him. If you put Rondo on just about any other team in the league, his cheating on defense would get him benched, because he wouldn't have the multiple defensive-minded bigs backing him up and he'd be getting lit up like an xmas tree! I remember games where Calderon consistently got by him, only to wade into the jungle and get blocked by the likes of KG, Perkins, O'Neal(s), Big Baby, etc...

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      Rondo looks good defensively because he cheats and aggressively goes for turnovers, which he can only do because he's always got 2/3 mammoth beasts protecting the paint behind him. If you put Rondo on just about any other team in the league, his cheating on defense would get him benched, because he wouldn't have the multiple defensive-minded bigs backing him up and he'd be getting lit up like an xmas tree! I remember games where Calderon consistently got by him, only to wade into the jungle and get blocked by the likes of KG, Perkins, O'Neal(s), Big Baby, etc...
                      You're the only one I've ever heard say that. Rondo might be the quickest player in the league and he has freak like long arms. He gets a lot of steals because of his God given attributes, along with hard work and know how. Again, I've never heard anybody suggest that Rajon Rondo is a liability on defense. I've seen far more games where Rondo owned Jose than the other way around by the way... Rondo did battle injuries last season and had his struggles at times. That's saying a lot for a guy who still averaged a double double.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        You're the only one I've ever heard say that. Rondo might be the quickest player in the league and he has freak like long arms. He gets a lot of steals because of his God given attributes, along with hard work and know how. Again, I've never heard anybody suggest that Rajon Rondo is a liability on defense. I've seen far more games where Rondo owned Jose than the other way around by the way... Rondo did battle injuries last season and had his struggles at times. That's saying a lot for a guy who still averaged a double double.
                        I wasn't saying his was a liability on defense, just that he is overrated, IMO. I think he's good defensively, but I think it's his teammates and the Celtics' defensive system that makes him look exceptional.

I also wasn't talking about the other end of the court, because absolutely the blow-bys were going both ways! haha I think his jumper leaves a lot to be desired and the fact that he is often the 4th or 5th option on offense and is usually playing with at least 3 future HOF'ers, makes his offensive game look much better than it actually is.

For the record, I think Rondo is a good player. I just don't think he would ever enter into a "he should have been taken 1st overall" conversation if it weren't for the team he has played on.

Comment

Interesting article but you cant fault BC for taking Bargs. With hindsight, of course you can do every redraft with the top lottery teams coming up on top.

I actually still like BC pick for taking Bargs. heres why?

If i remember correctly, the top 3 picks to chose from were LA, Rudy, and Bargs. Brandon Roy was a definite no, because of his history with injury problems, which is evident to this day. Rudy was a projected top pick going into the 2005/2006 season and everyone knew he was going to be a good player but not a great player which is true. Rondo was an obvious no because of his non shooting ability. I think he was slated for a late lottery anyways due to that. And LA was not going to get picked because we had bosh and he was projected to be a bosh type player anyways.

So whats left? Bargs. Imagine if we got the other top 5 players outside of LA; Tyrus, Sheldon, Adam Morrison.

Comment

DaveKim wrote: View Post
                            Interesting article but you cant fault BC for taking Bargs. With hindsight, of course you can do every redraft with the top lottery teams coming up on top.

I actually still like BC pick for taking Bargs. heres why?

If i remember correctly, the top 3 picks to chose from were LA, Rudy, and Bargs. Brandon Roy was a definite no, because of his history with injury problems, which is evident to this day. Rudy was a projected top pick going into the 2005/2006 season and everyone knew he was going to be a good player but not a great player which is true. Rondo was an obvious no because of his non shooting ability. I think he was slated for a late lottery anyways due to that. And LA was not going to get picked because we had bosh and he was projected to be a bosh type player anyways.

So whats left? Bargs. Imagine if we got the other top 5 players outside of LA; Tyrus, Sheldon, Adam Morrison.
                            Exactly. The way I remember the lead-up to that draft, was 6 players receiving serious consideration for the #1 pick: Bargnani, Roy, Aldridge, Gay, Foye and Thomas; essentially 3 wings, 2 PFs and a C, which became a choice between Bargnani (C) and the top wing (Roy/Gay). After drafting Charlie V. to backup Bosh with a top-10 pick the previous draft, there was no way the Raps were going to touch Aldridge/Thomas, regardless of how good they were and/or might become!

Comment

Raptors had 2 picks in this draft... I wanted them to take Denham Brown... However BC wasted the pick with P.J Tuker

Strengths: Has a great combination of strength and athleticism ... Intense competitor ... Scores a lot of baskets by overpowering defenders with his tremendous body strength ... Plays with a lot of toughness. Extremely aggresive, intimidates opponents with his nasty demeanor ... Explosive leaping ability and has the strength to go inside and finish ... Strong one on one skills and looks to drive to the basket ... His ability to create shots for himself off the dribble has improved ... Strong defender ... Tremendous rebounder for a 6-5 player ... Great speed in the open court ... Free throw shooting has shown steady improvement ...

Weaknesses: Scores the majority of his points close to the basket ... Lacks a 3 point shot and any real range on his shot ... His passing ability has shown some improvement but he lacks great vision to find teammates off the dribble ... Can be selfish at times looking only for shots for himself ... Lacks great skills for a guard and great size for a small forward ...

Comment

Working...
                              X