Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stefanski, Bower, Lindsey and Pritchard all Candidates for Raptors GM Position

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Only making $200,000 a year with the Pacers ...
    So you're probably right. haha
    Poor guy only making 200K a year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPresenting wrote: View Post
    Poor guy only making 200K a year
    Hahah, ya I had to italicize the 'only' part of that ... I felt dirty even just writing it.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Though Pritchard could have very well have been underpaid as GM of the Blazers, it would've been odd for him to compare his salary to that of his head coach's. NBA head coaches on average make around $3.5 million/year, where as NBA GMs make an average of roughly $2 million.

Bryan Colangelo makes $4 million/year, but he is one the highest paid executives in the league.

Raptors Republic Superstar Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. This is essentially what I'm saying. Or was trying too anyway. haha
    I was trying to state it in a way that Pritchard might view the position.

I fully expect the next incumbent to have a very legitimate role.
    However I do not expect that someone to be Pritchard. I just don't see him as being happy answering to anyone, let alone a fellow Executive. He had enough problems with Paul Allen "meddling" in his workings; He will just view BC as just another someone else in his way.
    I would look at it this way...Pritchard has now been without a gig for awhile and it would seem a asst. to the gm in Pacerland (consultant I think) is the best he could come up with. I would take the Raptors job if offered just to get some visibility for the desired absolute position he might seek. Then again he might also get that job right here if BC/mlse decided not to renew. Times are tough and he has been portrayed as a bit of a backstabber...not something execs/owners like when hiring someone to share their meeting room with. But the guy smells talent.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm sorry, but I don't see it. Why is Pritchard a good candidate? Looking at his history, I don't see any major deals or acquisitions. If anything the controversial resigning of Roy stands out as a problem:

http://hoopshype.com/general_manager..._pritchard.htm

I would be looking for a GM that can be a good draft mover and shaker, or a GM that can sign lucrative contracts. I'm not sure I see that with Pritchard. Also he had issues with the ownership in Portland. Who's to say that he wouldn't have the same issues with Bryan and the future owner of the organization.

As for Stefanski - my biggest beef is he resigned AI. That one move makes me think he has no idea what he's doing.

If Bryan is really looking for a "roadie" then he should go after someone that is younger and has less experience. Someone like Lindsey maybe.
    Pritchard pulled off a tremendous 2006 draft, getting two all-nba players in Aldridge and Roy. The Raptors got a giant steaming bucket of crap. Pritchard's draft added ten wins to the team's total the next season, and nine more wins the season after that. He built that team into a contender. He did make a mistake with Airball Oden, but nobody was questioning that decision at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote iono wrote: View Post
    Though Pritchard could have very well have been underpaid as GM of the Blazers, it would've been odd for him to compare his salary to that of his head coach's. NBA head coaches on average make around $3.5 million/year, where as NBA GMs make an average of roughly $2 million.

Bryan Colangelo makes $4 million/year, but he is one the highest paid executives in the league.
    It's not odd at all if he felt his contributions to the team's success we equally as great or greater and that his services were equally as high in demand of higher. You need to put yourself in his mind and what he might have been thinking was "real" at the time and not what you think with a clear mind. He obviously misjudged his market worth and he didn't handle his conclusion very tactfully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Brandon wrote: View Post
    Pritchard pulled off a tremendous 2006 draft, getting two all-nba players in Aldridge and Roy. The Raptors got a giant steaming bucket of crap. Pritchard's draft added ten wins to the team's total the next season, and nine more wins the season after that. He built that team into a contender. He did make a mistake with Airball Oden, but nobody was questioning that decision at the time.
    Following the 2006 draft, The Raptors improved their record by 20 wins (15 more wins than Portland); with Bargnani deserving a good amount of credit.
    Bargnani also came in Second for Rookie of the Year and earned an All-Rookie Team selection.
    The following year we finished 6th in the conference and qualified for the playoffs. (And with the exact same record as Portland.)

Not sure how thats them being 'contenders' and us 'stuck with a bucket of crap.'

And most definitely questioned him selecting Oden over Durant. I questioned it quite emphatically actually.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that the only reason Pritchard was able to have those strong draft classes was because Paul Allen went out and bought him a bunch of picks. MLSE isn't known for buying picks. He would have to do more with less in Toronto. That's just one factor to consider.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Don't forget that the only reason Pritchard was able to have those strong draft classes was because Paul Allen went out and bought him a bunch of picks. MLSE isn't known for buying picks. He would have to do more with less in Toronto. That's just one factor to consider.
    I'm sure as hell not going to defend MLSE.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Following the 2006 draft, The Raptors improved their record by 20 wins (15 more wins than Portland); with Bargnani deserving a good amount of credit.
    Bargnani also came in Second for Rookie of the Year and earned an All-Rookie Team selection.
    The following year we finished 6th in the conference and qualified for the playoffs. (And with the exact same record as Portland.)

Not sure how thats them being 'contenders' and us 'stuck with a bucket of crap.'

And most definitely questioned him selecting Oden over Durant. I questioned it quite emphatically actually.
    The improvement in bucket of crap's rookie season may have had something to do with A) huge improvement by Calderon in soph season, B) additions of new players like Nesterovic, TJ Fraud, and Anthony Porker. Bucket of crap spent the season playing back-end-of-the-rotation minutes, and so likely didn't have much impact.

Post Thanks / Like

The improvement in bucket of crap's rookie season may have had something to do with A) huge improvement by Calderon in soph season, B) additions of new players like Nesterovic, TJ Fraud, and Anthony Porker. Bucket of crap spent the season playing back-end-of-the-rotation minutes, and so likely didn't have much impact.
    Ok, so you didn't watch much that season then.
    Because he clearly did. And receiving the Second Most votes for ROY proves that.
    Also, I didn't say he was the sole reason for their success. But he was, and is, deserving of a large amount of the credit for our best season ever.

25 minutes a game is 'Back of the rotation minutes'... Really? Fascinating.

And for the record, a rookie averaging 12pts, 4rpg and a block is pretty solid.
    Aldridge put up 9pts, 5rpg and a block. Not much difference.

We may not fully appreciate these numbers now, but for ANY rookie, these are solid numbers.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watch the games and call my own judgments objective proof. I don't check my stats before I argue.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

I just watch the games and call my own judgments objective proof. I don't check my stats before I argue.
    That's quite an interesting position you have there. Have you notified Websters so they can change the definitions of subjective and objective? In the old definitions objective had something to do with the possibility for verification. They need to change that asap!

If you consider your own judgments objective and do no think the use of stats (or probably other facts which do not belong to your own observations) has any place in the arguments you make or react to, I suppose that leaves little room for debate. So, what do you expect from posting on a forum. Are the others supposed to agree with you? Are you just picking fights? Apparently you are not here to debate and perhaps change your own opinion because of good arguments made by others. So I really don't get it; you use degrading namecalling like 'bucket of crap' for Bargnani and 'Anthony Porker', are you just trying to outscream us so we will bow down and submit to your judgements?

Post Thanks / Like

That explains ALOT actually.
    And in that case, I will likely block you.

Here I was thinking that you were actually interested in discussing, and debating, the issue.
    But clearly you are only here to throw out random thoughts and see what kind of reaction you can get.
    I don't generally like talking with people like you.

I prefer to have intelligent, educated debates, with which arguments can be backed up with more than, "I say so."

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    That's quite an interesting position you have there. Have you notified Websters so they can change the definitions of subjective and objective? In the old definitions objective had something to do with the possibility for verification. They need to change that asap!

If you consider your own judgments objective and do no think the use of stats (or probably other facts which do not belong to your own observations) has any place in the arguments you make or react to, I suppose that leaves little room for debate. So, what do you expect from posting on a forum. Are the others supposed to agree with you? Are you just picking fights? Apparently you are not here to debate and perhaps change your own opinion because of good arguments made by others. So I really don't get it; you use degrading namecalling like 'bucket of crap' for Bargnani and 'Anthony Porker', are you just trying to outscream us so we will bow down and submit to your judgements?
    Speaking of Webster's, check the definition of "Irony".

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That explains ALOT actually.
    And in that case, I will likely block you.

Here I was thinking that you were actually interested in discussing, and debating, the issue.
    But clearly you are only here to throw out random thoughts and see what kind of reaction you can get.
    I don't generally like talking with people like you.

I prefer to have intelligent, educated debates, with which arguments can be backed up with more than, "I say so."
    ya this guys getting pretty annoying i think i'll block him too.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all agree that Alex Anthopoulos would make a great GM for the Raps. =)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pritchard a bad idea, Linsey a good idea?

Stop:
    Pritchard's time in Portland wasn't the longest but it was quite successful, as he laid down the building blocks to transform a perennial loser into one of the most talked about up-and-coming teams in the NBA.

The young core of LaMarcus Aldridge, Brandon Roy and Nicolas Batum has Pritchard's fingerprints all over it, so it's clear that he's very capable of building a winner. And out of all the other lead candidates for the Raptors job, he'll probably be considered the frontrunner because he's more of a known commodity than the others; even though some of them have more experience.

With that in mind, Pritchard's arrival would be pretty exciting for Raptors fans. After all, he would be a young, vibrant GM eager to prove himself again and turn the franchise's fortunes around. However, that is exactly why a Pritchard hire would be problematic.

Toronto already hired a GM much like Pritchard back in 2006 in Bryan Colangelo, and even though he's decided to step away from the GM role and just act as president of the team, his DNA is still all over the franchise -- something that may not mesh well with Pritchard.

Both Pritchard and Colangelo are control freaks with strong personalities. If he were to come into the Raptor-fold the two would likely butt heads with each other. And while healthy debate and input on how to improve the team is generally a good thing, constant disagreement is something a franchise doesn't want to deal with.

It has been reported in the past that the reason for Pritchard's departure from Portland was because he hungered for both power and media adoration. These are two things he isn't likely to receive as much in Toronto, as long as Colangelo stays above him in the franchise hierarchy.
    Go:
    Colangelo won't find that perfect sync if he hires Pritchard, but he may just find it in Lindsey.

As the current assistant GM of the San Antonio Spurs, Lindsey would bring some championship knowledge to the front office and seeing how the Spurs have made a living off picking exceptional players later in the draft, his talent evaluation skills will work wonders for a team likely headed to the lottery.

A Lindsey selection would also make sense, as he'll work well with Colangelo because of the emphasis that the Spurs have made on scouting international players -- something the Toronto boss has been known for.

Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, the reason why Lindsey should be the prime candidate is because Colangelo will still be able to go hands-on with the team because Lindsey would be a rookie GM, making him more easily controlled, which would allow Colangelo to still execute his vision for the club.

Lindsey may not be the sexiest pick, but he seems like the right one. If the club decides instead to go with Prtichard, however, it will be very interesting to see how he and Colangelo work with each other.
    Source: Miamiherlad.com

This article makes a lot of sense.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That is certainly something to consider.

Something I only thought of reading this bit was the dysfunction that is MLSE. Having a guy like Pritchard (i.e. with his history of egomania and back-room office politicking) may not be in the best interest of the franchise given his tenure in Portland. The drama that surrounded BC's extension would be an open invitation to someone looking to stoke the fires of malcontent among the members of the board (read: Teachers reps).

I honestly do not know much about Lindsey except he turned down MIN and PHX and is well regarded in SA. I wonder if it was because both franchises offered a contract and situation less desirable than the one currently held in SA (especially the money part). Being a member of the Spurs front office is certainly a good experience but it does not necessarily mean success on his own or working in another organization.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't think that's it at all. I think the whole point of this is to free up more time. Right now Colangelo is doing two highly demanding executive jobs. I think the new GM will be given a directive and he will then go to work while always answering to Colangelo before anything is triggered. I feel Colangelo will still have a very strong voice and final say but I feel this move is meant to A.) reduce workload and B.) distance publicly distance himself from "front line" decision making and perhaps increase longevity in the organization.
    I think that Colangelo has said publicly that the intention is not to give up his final say, but rather assemble a more experienced team to help the organization make better choices.

Thread Information