Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors so high on Alabi that they may not target a FA center?(OLD THREAD)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Raptors so high on Alabi that they may not target a FA center?(OLD THREAD)

Charles in Brampton:
    Hey steve, what do you think about the raptors future? Who do you think they should target as a centre, considering Jonas will be there in a year?

Steve Kyler:
    They already targeted their center... Solomon Alabi... he killed it in their min-camp in June and he really started to come around.

I talked with some people at the Raptors camp, and they said hands down Solomon was the best player there.

Dwyane Casey really likes him and he will get a real chance. Not saying they won't look to bring in bigs, but they think they have a possible starter in Solo and with Bargs and Ed Davis able to play the 5 spot, they may not have the gap you think they do.

Also keep in mind Solo was drafted after coming off knee surgery, he really didn't get healed until mid-season and Jay Triano just wouldn't play him -- Casey seems like he's open to playing him.
    Source: Hoopsworld.com

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Solo... Starting? :O

Post Thanks / Like

Huh ... interesting.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think he should be starting but i do expect him to get minutes. From what ive heard he seems to have made major improvements.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Who cares let him start. I wanna see a frontcourt of Solo and Ed, I think it might just be a decent one.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is the third time I've read a report this summer that Alabi may be a decent player next season. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about this. Having a 7'1", 250 lbs center with good length showing some improvment is always nice. My question is, if Solo is actually good enough to start at the end of next season (I'm skepticle) what happens with Jonas?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Post Thanks / Like

Alabi was widely projected as a Top 20 pick.
    Some had him going as high as 14th.
    That's one pick after we got Ed Davis.

If he can start to show even half of what Scouts saw before his injury, he could absolutely be a legit Starter in the league.

7'-1", 250lbs is nothing to snicker at.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Aug 2nd, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
    "I have self-doubt. I have insecurity. I have fear of failure. We all have self-doubt. You don't deny it, but you also don't capitulate to it. You embrace it. You rise above it." -Kobe Bryant

Raptors Republic Starter Ambidextrious's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been pulling for Solo 100% I hope he gets decent shot next season. Here is some footage of him in the D League. Gotta love the passion.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing happens w/ JV he'll get his minutes as a rookie. IF he is able to equal or surpass Alabi, then alabi goes to the bench to is used in a trade.
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote hateslosing wrote: View Post
    This is the third time I've read a report this summer that Alabi may be a decent player next season. I'm actually starting to get a little excited about this. Having a 7'1", 250 lbs center with good length showing some improvment is always nice. My question is, if Solo is actually good enough to start at the end of next season (I'm skepticle) what happens with Jonas?
    You bring him over and thank your lucky stars you have so much depth. JV is going to take time to get used to the NBA and he still has a lot of developing to do.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Besides, we don't know who are going to develop into good players. Jonas could play PF as well assuming he develops a jumper (which i doubt Alabi will do). With a lot of ifs in the development department ... a frontcourt with Alabi and Valanciunas would be downright scary with a combined wingspan of about 14'11''.

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

all of sudden raptors front court is STACKED.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

only Bargnani and Davis were mentioned as PFs, could Amir be on the out?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    only Bargnani and Davis were mentioned as PFs, could Amir be on the out?
    It's not someone from the raptors and Bargnani/Davis were mentioned as being able to play the 5 spot. No talk about the PF.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    downright scary with a combined wingspan of about 14'11''.
    I wasnt sold until you put it like that...Lakers wingspan 14' 7" and i consider them quite long...

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear that Alabi is making some progress. Hopefully there is a season and we can see a 4 man rotation of Dre, Davis, Amir and Alabi and watch their development. If Alabi proves to be a player the Raptors have some solid assets going forward in the front court.

Raptors Republic Starter RAPresenting's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    I have been pulling for Solo 100% I hope he gets decent shot next season. Here is some footage of him in the D League. Gotta love the passion.

The first dunk is routine and ordinary... Now that second dunk...... Sick, wicked and nasty!!! lol

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear, hopefully it's true.

Raptors Republic All-Star hateslosing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Besides, we don't know who are going to develop into good players. Jonas could play PF as well assuming he develops a jumper (which i doubt Alabi will do). With a lot of ifs in the development department ... a frontcourt with Alabi and Valanciunas would be downright scary with a combined wingspan of about 14'11''.
    Alabi was touted as having a decent midrange shot by coach Thorpe when he was interviewed by PHD steve earlier this season so maybe he could play up high and val could play low?
    "When Life gives you lemons, you clone those Lemons to make super lemons!"
    -Scudworth

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This is all a cover up. The real reason they arn't targeting FA centers is because André Börg demands the center position and has scared off all possible FA centers from the Raptors.

But in all seriousness it's good to hear something good about Alabi. Doubt he is capable of starting next season though..

Thread Information