Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jonas Valanciunas look good in first game(friendly game) with Lithuania Nationa Team

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jonas Valanciunas look good in first game(friendly game) with Lithuania Nationa Team

Jonas started the game vs Czech Republic . Watched all the way to the 4th quarter(had to go to work). He had 18 points going into the 4th.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Darn, missed that. Managed to view the last minute...

Funny offtopic thing: after the basketball game the channel (Lithuanian?) broadcasted the movie Sahara, but instead of subtitling it or dubbing it with different voices for all characters they have one guy talking over it doing all roles. Really weird.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

He finished with 26pts, 9/10 fg, 8/8 ft. Out of those 9 field goals, 7 or 8 were dunks if I am not mistaken.

@Soft Euro: yes it was a lithuanian channel, welcome to Eastern Europe. Most of the tv channels here are shit.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Relax ppl. JV did well, but opponent was not decent enough.
    LT national team will drop 3 players (out of 17 today).. JV should stay.. especially after today's game.

I say you should look forward to aug 10 game vs russia and aug 13 game vs spain.
    those opponents will be strong enough.
    If he (JV) will not do well in these games , he might have problems to make top 12 LT team.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there a boxscore for this game? I found some brief articles describing Jonas' game, but I wasn't sure how many minutes he got. I believe he also brought down 11 boards with his 26 points. I'm hoping he gets a chance to get some good minutes against some other teams so we can really see what he can do.

The Lithuanian fans are really impressed with his performance however, from what I could find on the web. If he's a fan favourite, I really don't see how the team could leave him off the roster as that might cause an uproar.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a discussion about the game and some thoughts from other fans on Valanciunas:

nbadraft

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    If he's a fan favourite, I really don't see how the team could leave him off the roster as that might cause an uproar.
    This isn't a popularity contest.

If you look at the potential Candidate Roster for EuroBasket 2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuan...asketball_team

All the bigs are vetrans older then 30 and are playing high level basketball in the Euroleague. The coach may not wish to make sudden changes to the roster if the chemistry is good. Although if JV plays very good basketball in the exhibition games he might get passed Marijonas Petravičius (appeared to be the least talented big man on the roster) in the depth chart.

FYI found the profile of this Lithuanian player to be funny because of two different stories:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%A1...avrinovi%C4%8D
    - He could have been a Rapetor (no that is not a typo)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

LT coach just dropped 3 ore players as said. M.Gecevičius, D.Motiejūnas ir R.Seibutis.
    14 have left atm (12 will pass).. JV is doing good,but why should coach choose him against Experienced Petravicius or other C/PF ?
    Pretty sure decision will be made soon.. and following games will help (against Russia and Spain on target)

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hotshot wrote: View Post
    This isn't a popularity contest.

If you look at the potential Candidate Roster for EuroBasket 2011: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithuan...asketball_team

All the bigs are vetrans older then 30 and are playing high level basketball in the Euroleague. The coach may not wish to make sudden changes to the roster if the chemistry is good. Although if JV plays very good basketball in the exhibition games he might get passed Marijonas Petravičius (appeared to be the least talented big man on the roster) in the depth chart.

FYI found the profile of this Lithuanian player to be funny because of two different stories:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C5%A1...avrinovi%C4%8D
    - He could have been a Rapetor (no that is not a typo)
    He was charged with rape but still gets to marry Miss Russia?.......da f*ck

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Forum f*cked for anyone else? I can't get into any of the main Pages. Pretty much only this thread. haha
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star Hotshot's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote er1csh3n wrote: View Post
    He was charged with rape but still gets to marry Miss Russia?.......da f*ck
    I thought the wtf moment would have been reading that the Raptors were considering him at one point which goes against BC belief of adding only quality characters to the team.

Yeah but I guess having a rape charge against you is not enough from swaying a Russian hottie from marrying you when you got money.

Insert "In Soviet Russia" joke here.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Is the Forum f*cked for anyone else? I can't get into any of the main Pages. Pretty much only this thread. haha
    thats happening for me too

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

well the raps always signs scrubs and rapists, but seriously i guess she's into that kinda fetish....like feet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote er1csh3n wrote: View Post
    thats happening for me too
    If you hit 'Whats New' beside 'Forums' at the top, you can basically see all the Threads.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic Starter Hassan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

big jonas v is a beast

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    If you hit 'Whats New' beside 'Forums' at the top, you can basically see all the Threads.
    Thanks, that makes things much better.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

HIGHLIGHTS !!!

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Sun Aug 7th, 2011 at 03:07 AM.
    @Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Soft Euro wrote: View Post
    Darn, missed that. Managed to view the last minute...

Funny offtopic thing: after the basketball game the channel (Lithuanian?) broadcasted the movie Sahara, but instead of subtitling it or dubbing it with different voices for all characters they have one guy talking over it doing all roles. Really weird.
    Imagine a country with the population of Montreal. There is not a lot of money to pay translator/actors. The budget can only cover one guy who listens and translates as he goes. It's not like they can resell the movie to other markets after translation.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    HIGHLIGHTS !!!

monster dunk at 2:20

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What I Like Abvout JV Highlights

Quote BC Boy wrote: View Post
    Here is a discussion about the game and some thoughts from other fans on Valanciunas:

nbadraft
    One thing that really jumps out at you from these highlights is the consistency of his foul shot; his set up, his release and his follow though. He is going to be a high 80's, or better foul shooter for his whole career. Because of his propensitry to chase the ball around the rim and immediately go up for a shot, he is going to be going to the stripe once every 3 or for minutes he is on the floor for another two shots or a +1.

It looks like he has been getting a lot of opportunities for dunks that won't materialize in the NBA because of his size and his speed going down the floor. That is, he simply puts his hand up while running alongside a defneder and receives a pass that he finishes on. His offensive spacing isn't really good. But he can improve that. To this point he hasn't had to very much I suspect. By all accounts he seems to be teachable. I believe he can contribute significantly to the Raps, even in his first year (365 days from now).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information