Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bargnani a Better Defender Than Bosh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bargnani a Better Defender Than Bosh?

Call me crazy or what you will, but since the middle of December I've noticed a significant improvement in Bargnani's defence. Both in his help and man defence. So much that I barely notice Bosh on the defensive end of things outside of rebounds.

That being said, now that it appears that Andrea is slowly catching onto things with respect to his help defense (he's always been reasonable one-on-one defender) could he now be evolving as the more valuable big man from a defensive perspective on the Raptors? I think the only thing he continues to struggle with is his lack of rebounding, but if can improve (as he's already expressed yesterday) in that catagory, could he soon become our new defensive anchor?

Thoughts?

Another take:

I have a feeling that if there was a 1-on-1 matchup between the two Bargs would probably come off the winner.

Comment

Bargnani's D, help, low post, man, has gotten significantly better this season. I also have been wondering if he will soon become the more valuable big man on D. If he keeps it up he will be. He is blocking shots at a nice rate as of late, and altering a heck of a lot more. Where before he would seem to float around or get lost on D, he now does a good job of sticking to his man and recovering on screens and switches. It doesn't hurt that he seems to be playing with a bit of swagger either.

But what impresses me the most is that he is no longer letting his offensive performance dictate his defensive one. Even if he is struggling offensively, he is not letting up on D, if anything he kicks it up a notch. Look at Monday's game against the Pacers: 4 of 14 shooting, but 17 rebs and 3 blocked shots. Or the win against the Spurs earlier in the month. He shot 5 of 16, but had 8 rebounds and 5 blocked shots. Just as important he did an excellent job of defending Duncan-holding him to just 8 of 22 shooting. Do you guys remember how many shots he altered that game?!

As for getting more rebounds, imo, he plays too far out to get many more boards a night. He needs to play a little more under the basket, in order to get the 2 or 3 more rebs per game that the Raps need.

I'm definitely impressed with his D. Let's just hope he keeps it up and continues to improve.

Comment

They're both bad, people notice Bargnani more because of the rebounding (or lack thereof). Other than the last month, Bargnani has been brutal as a help-defender. Not saying Bosh is great, but he comes in from the weak-side more often than Bargnani. But, over the last month, Bargnani has been rock solid. He's made blocks and alters on plays which he used to give up on, especially in transition.

Comment

bargs is great 1 on 1 defender
          was horrendous in communication hence bad help defense ...
          his English gets better = his defense get better
          center has to direct the team ,he has the best view over the court under the basket, he still hedges to high up top , he needs to show and rotate quicker.
          bargs boxes out , but doesn't look for the rebound ( last game was a bad example )
          lot's of chances for opponent guard and wing players
          why raptors need a good/ great rebounding wing!

bosh is just soft,even an average pf posts him up easily
          he's leaks out far to quick when thinks his man is to far away from the basket -> his direct opponent gets lots of offensive rebounds

there not both bad
          they look horrible because our guards can't guard a 40 year calderon
          lots of penetration over rotation , bad communication
          it will get better if bargs keeps being assertive
          he has the potential , i actually think he needs be a leader for this team --> scares me
          bosh lacks leadership , the other big man needs to fill in the void.
          bosh will never win a ring when he is the leader of the team.
          bosh is the 2nd all-star that adds to the franchise guy
          Last edited by MaGIX; Thu Jan 14, 2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I've seen Bosh play outstanding defense. But never for a whole game or two games in a row.

Bargnani has played better defense each season and will likely be clearly better than Bosh at some point - if not already.

Both are scoring big men - they weren't drafted for their defense.
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
            X