Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Valanciunas - 18 minutes - 14pts 7 rebs vs Russia

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Valanciunas - 18 minutes - 14pts 7 rebs vs Russia

Raptors Republic Starter WhatWhat's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That was a nice first basket he got. And I don't know why people are complaining about his athleticism. It's excellent for a C.

That's excellent numbers he put up in such little time.

Post Thanks / Like

Where are the cynics? I'm always interested in the gripes on Jonas.

First U19 didn't count.

Then the Czech's seniors were a weak team.

Now a good showing versus Russian senior team.

(I brought this from other thread)

Raptors Republic Starter pesterm1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! JoVa is tearing it up. this kid is only 19 and i cant wait to see his game when his body matures. I bet cleveland is kicking themselves now. BC u sneaky SOB ... well played sir... well played.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Love it. The guy plays every game like he's got something to prove.

Raptors Republic Rookie MillerRegent's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is good news once again. I am starting to come around on this kid. I recently read someone compare him to Tim Duncan and after watching some of Duncan's college highlights I can't disagree. The main difference is that Duncan had a better array of ball handling skills, craftiness and fundamentals from 12 feet and in (he was also older coming out of college than Valanpenis). But as far as height, defence and athletic ability I think the two are very comparable.

My only questions about this russia game is 1. What was his shooting %? and 2. Why did he only play 18 minutes? was it foul trouble or that they were getting blown out?

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The complete box score can be found here (translated from Russian):
    http://translate.google.ca/translate...b53334&act=url

He played only 18 minutes, but he had 5 fouls. I'm betting that this was why his minutes were cut back. He did shoot 83% though (5/6) and was 100% (4/4) from the FT line.

Here is a nice block on Kirilenko:

Post Thanks / Like

The more I see the more I like!

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the full game:

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    First U19 didn't count.
    U19 still doesn't count

Post Thanks / Like

Quote GarbageTime wrote: View Post
    U19 still doesn't count
    What was the reasoning there again?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

BC has gained my respect

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

BC had balls to pick this kid while the euro basket hate in toronto is big , most of the bloggers around here had their 'race' shameful rants ready and lots lost my respect ... he will prove himself, he always wants to prove himself

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MillerRegent wrote: View Post
    This is good news once again. I am starting to come around on this kid. I recently read someone compare him to Tim Duncan and after watching some of Duncan's college highlights I can't disagree. The main difference is that Duncan had a better array of ball handling skills, craftiness and fundamentals from 12 feet and in (he was also older coming out of college than Valanpenis). But as far as height, defence and athletic ability I think the two are very comparable.

My only questions about this russia game is 1. What was his shooting %? and 2. Why did he only play 18 minutes? was it foul trouble or that they were getting blown out?
    I watched the game earlier today his stat line was 14 points on 5/6 shooting 4/4 from the free throw line with 7 rebounds and a block. He didn't play in the second quarter and he came off the bench in this game. Apparently the coach for the Lithuanian team is trying different line ups and Jonas is competing for playing time with the other C's on the team. That's why he only played 18 minutes today. Jonas might play less seeing as the coach hasn't seen all of the bigs for the team play big minutes yet.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    The complete box score can be found here (translated from Russian):
    http://translate.google.ca/translate...b53334&act=url

He played only 18 minutes, but he had 5 fouls. I'm betting that this was why his minutes were cut back. He did shoot 83% though (5/6) and was 100% (4/4) from the FT line.

Here is a nice block on Kirilenko:

scary how he landed after that block. I really appreciate the hustle. He plays with a lot of passion and intensity... but I hope it doesn't translate to hyper-extended knees and turned ankles... an exhibition game is not worth the injury, my friend.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Cleveland! The curse is alive and well but then again, Dan Gilbert got greedy especially with Toad Stern handing him everything. Now BC just needs to get rid of his biggest mistake and then I'll say this team is really rebuilding.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

What I like is that he seems to have good hands. Doesn't bobble the ball when he receives the pass on a pick and roll, doesn't need to give the ball a bounce after picking up a rebound, is always conscious of where he is in relation to the ball. Of course, I am only going from highlights and a few game clips, but there is a sureness to his ball handling that is a little surprising in someone who put on so much height so quickly.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    What was the reasoning there again?
    The reason is simple...we didn't get the player he wanted so he's going to be hypercritical until he magically blocks a Lebron dunk and then in two steps is all the way down the court where he slams it home with both hands with the Chris Bosh around his neck.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

This was from a Lithuanian poster on RealGM
    blocked---interesting - Russians are going over the top to compliment Valanciunas, they even gave him a gift (for being the best player in Lithuanian team) to make sure he makes into the NT, I guess.
    Kirilenko says that Valanciunas is strong enough to play at this level, but lacks experience. Of course, he commented that he was not as muscular as Mozgov, but acknowledged that he is/will be a great player. Mozgov also suggested that after Valanciunas spends some time in a gym he will be nearly impossible to play against, and pointed at Jonas' speed and coordination.
    One of the best Russian coaches said it bluntly that he considers Valanciunas to be one of the future top centers in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote DG88 wrote: View Post
    This was from a Lithuanian poster on RealGM
    You made my day. Thanks for posting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information